Motorola Moto G7 Play Unlocked Deep Indigo $154.99

• Last Updated:
  • May 22nd, 2020 2:16 am
26 replies
Apr 18, 2008
585 posts
1070 upvotes
BC
Just a heads up: unfortunately no NFC. (No google pay etc.)
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
13503 posts
25634 upvotes
$149.99 in-store , didn’t know if this is considered hot or was it that price once before ?
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2005
1263 posts
1171 upvotes
stephroll wrote: $149.99 in-store , didn’t know if this is considered hot or was it that price once before ?
It was this price for a while around November - December, but has been back up to $200 ever since.
Feb 20, 2019
170 posts
630 upvotes
Montreal
stephroll wrote: $149.99 in-store , didn’t know if this is considered hot or was it that price once before ?
Yes it was at that price before (exact same price), a few times actually. I got that phone a few months ago at 150 in store price.
It's decent, really nothing fancy. Camera is OK, but not great.
At least it fits my needs!
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
24400 posts
20494 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Yeah, it was that price at Christmas. There was also a $20 off coupon at that time. But that was then and this is now.

This is a very good phone for this price range. What else can you get with similar specs, in Canada with a Canadian warranty (let alone a Costco warranty)?

Incidentally Moto US has this model on sale for US$130. That's about CA$180 so Costco's price is at least warm if not hot.

That said, I share @MandomRix 's concern about lack of NFC. IMO that feature is a must-have these days.
veni, vidi, Visa
Jan 4, 2019
570 posts
581 upvotes
It's a very nice phone. I'm holding our for Costco to have the Motorola Action One on sale (currently $299 in store).

Nice find OP!
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
13503 posts
25634 upvotes
Did you receive the Android 10 update ?
Apr 18, 2014
35 posts
12 upvotes
Got this phone around Xmas for $ 149.99 to be used in Eastern Europe. The phone itself is very ok and it is compatible with a lot of GSM Networks (Cellular: GSM (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); CDMA (850, 1900, 850+ MHz) UMTS (B1,2,4,5,8);
4G LTE (B1,2,3,4,5,7,8,12,13,14,17,20,25,26,29,30,38,39,40,41,66,71) The exact model number is: XT1952-4
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
4143 posts
1803 upvotes
Quebec
what about the battery life after a year of daily use?

can you still use it after 30min a full charge?

i know motorola used to have good long term battery life, but it was long time ago...dont know with these recent new phone from moto.
Oct 24, 2008
400 posts
48 upvotes
Arviat
Just got the phone today , it's very light . Easy to hold . Not bad decent with 2 GB RAM but Qualcomm .

Camera is just okay. Has usb c quick charge . I guess it's more secure than a Huawei or xiamoi lol

I recommend for a tight budget
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
4952 posts
3030 upvotes
Not a huge fan of 2gb Androids. Would be tempted just get an older flagship off eBay if you aren't finicky about a warranty.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
14251 posts
4294 upvotes
VANCOUVER
vivibaby wrote: Is moto g7 better than lg g7?
LG G7 was last generation flagship. Moto G7/G7 Play is lower midrange. The LG G7 is in a whole different league!
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
3241 posts
3254 upvotes
Montreal, QC
stephroll wrote: Did you receive the Android 10 update ?
No, the G7 Play it is still on Android 9, but yesterday the wife got pushed the April 2020 Security update OTA. The Moto One Action [which I have] is on Android 10 (March 1, 2020 security update).
Overall G7 Play is a nice basic phone. For the price, new, and with decent warranty, it is hard to find anything comparable. Wife has no complaints.

There were one or 2 programs which I needed to remove from the "battery optimizer options". Surprisingly gmail was one of them, otherwise the notifications would take too long to get. And if I remember correctly, I think viber was the other. But it was simple enough, and no issues since then.

I had picked it up for the wife back in November when it was once again $50 off. Minus an additional $20 for online orders. So it was ($210 [online price] - $50 - $20) + taxes, and it came to $161.xx all in shipped in QC. Because of the $20 online only discount, it was still $10 cheaper to order online than to pick up in store. And it comes with costco's 90 day return policy, 1 yr manufacturers warranty, and I paid with my Canadian Tire World Elite MC, and doubled manufacturer warranty for a total of 2yrs.. And collected an extra buck in CT money. lol.

Not a flagship phone my any stretch of the imagination, but it works quite well as a basic phone for non power users. The 2GB has surprisingly not caused any slowdowns. Android 9 is pretty good at keeping it zippy. Wife upgraded from an old Acer Zest Plus (again purchased from costco back in 2017), and this is better.

She doesn't care for NFC anyhow, so no big deal there.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
24400 posts
20494 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Emporium wrote: No, the G7 Play it is still on Android 9...
Overall G7 Play is a nice basic phone. For the price, new, and with decent warranty, it is hard to find anything comparable...
Not a flagship phone my any stretch of the imagination, but it works quite well as a basic phone for non power users...
+1

I don't understand why some people compare an entry phone to a flagship--and then worse, complain it's not as good. Well, d'oh! Of course a $20k Hyundai isn't going to be as good as an $80k BMW.

Likewise why a non-power user needs Android 10 when Android 9 works just fine, especially on a basic phone. What important feature on Android 10 is lacking in Android 9? I can understand that some feature might be "nice to have" but what's essential?

For me, and I'd imagine for most others, I'd rather get security updates on Android 9 for an extra year or two than an upgrade to Android 10. That's a far more important "feature" in my book.
She doesn't care for NFC anyhow, so no big deal there.
Even though I consider NFC (and dual-SIM support) to be important for my usage, it's easy to compromise on those when the price is $150.
There were one or 2 programs which I needed to remove from the "battery optimizer options". Surprisingly gmail was one of them, otherwise the notifications would take too long to get. And if I remember correctly, I think viber was the other. But it was simple enough, and no issues since then.
Where are you seeing "battery optimizer options" in Android 9?
veni, vidi, Visa
Nov 21, 2007
474 posts
564 upvotes
Does it have dual sim slot?
Google says this "Single SIM (Nano-SIM) or Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)". I'm confused...
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
24400 posts
20494 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
funky_monkey wrote: Does it have dual sim slot?
Google says this "Single SIM (Nano-SIM) or Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)". I'm confused...
It depends on the sub-model. For some reason Moto's sub-models of the G-series phones intended for the NA market are usually single-SIM while the sub-models for other markets like EU are usually dual-SIM. The G7P sold by Costco is a XT1952-4. It supports only a single SIM. The G7P phones sold on e.g. Amazon are international versions, model XT1952-2 and come with dual-SIM support.

Added: There are other differences, subtle and not so subtle, between NA and international versions. Supported bands vary by market. An international phone may still work in Canada but not with all carriers and/or on all towers. And of course an international phone won't have a warranty that's good at Moto Canada. Generally I'd avoid international versions unless you've done the homework and can live with the differences. (One big difference is that Amazon's G7P is almost twice the price of Costco's.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Sep 26, 2016
52 posts
27 upvotes
Vaughan
2g memory will be problem of this phone.
Jun 26, 2010
787 posts
523 upvotes
Vancouver
Allan62 wrote: 2g memory will be problem of this phone.
Unless it's just a burner phone or for someone/seniors who just want to use Whatsapp and a few other apps, then it's more than enough.