• Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2022 4:58 am
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2015
7015 posts
7132 upvotes
Downtown Canada
Bishop8 wrote: Thanks OP.

Reading the reviews it seems like a decent/average phone, which is perfectly fine. Cameras are important to me, but again pictures are rated average. Does anyone know if the cameras can be improved by using something other than the stock app (is there a GCam app that could be loaded?) that would improve picture quality, or are you just going to be bottlenecked by the lenses and physical hardware? TIA
I have this phone that I bought from Costco.

Pros
Amazing battery life, large screen, good reception - Telus (5G), monthly updates, currently on Nov security update

Cons
Shitty camera, no wireless charging, crappy display
Telus $30/25GB X 4 lines Non shareable
$0 200 USA LD min/month X 4 lines
$0 Visual Voicemail X 4 lines

Fringe Minority
Sep 11, 2009
67 posts
81 upvotes
GTA
karl55 wrote: If we are looking at the same one they are refurbished according to the listing.
Yeah...no thanks to "renewed" and a 3rd party seller. Avoid like the plague.

One cannot beat the Costco 90 day return policy...a bulletproof trial!
Jan 28, 2007
267 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto
deals46 wrote: I'm about to order and was wondering whether you have tried out the phone yet? Any comments, pro/con?

Also, did you get a case and or screen protector?
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
hard to find case and screen protector in regular stores. you can order them from bestbuy market sellers.
i went to the chinese mall coz i didn't want to wait for delivery, and found them but had to check a few stores before i finally found them.
basic clear bumper case was $10...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002 ... mainSearch

Got this one with the ring for $15

screen protector $10.

i also ordered an extra case from aliexpress, really lucked out that it arrived in 2 weeks.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003 ... mainSearch
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2005
4012 posts
2020 upvotes
Pointe-Claire
wizy wrote: hard to find case and screen protector in regular stores. you can order them from bestbuy market sellers.
i went to the chinese mall coz i didn't want to wait for delivery, and found them but had to check a few stores before i finally found them.

Got this one with the ring for $15

screen protector $10.

i also ordered an extra case from aliexpress, really lucked out that it arrived in 2 weeks.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003 ... mainSearch

Thanks... got a case and screen protector from Amazon for about $12. Now if I could only get the phone to work 100% it'd be a keeper.
I can't afford to save that much!
Sep 11, 2009
67 posts
81 upvotes
GTA
MugenX wrote: Got the Moto G Play for my son for wifi usage!
He loves it!
149.99$ @ Costco
Agreed...same situation but using with Public Mobile + WiFi. Add a separate SD card for camera storage and tweak the animation settings in developer mode and it's a fantastic budget device with Android 11!
Sep 11, 2009
67 posts
81 upvotes
GTA
wizy wrote: hard to find case and screen protector in regular stores. you can order them from bestbuy market sellers.
There are plenty of options on Amazon.ca and .com. I had a case and screen protectors delivered next day with Prime.
Sep 11, 2009
67 posts
81 upvotes
GTA
deals46 wrote:
Has anyone else had issues setting up the APN for Rogers? I got the information from the provider and changed the settings accordingly but it does not work. I am unable to connect to data. Called Motorola and was told that they do not support that issue?! Wondering if there may be something about US/Canada?

Anyways, any assistance would be appreciated. If I can't get it to work then it's going back. Good it's Costco.
Try resetting the network settings and then re-enter them per the other posts here.

Go to Settings -> System -> Reset options -> Reset wifi,mobile, bluetooth

UPDATE: I just put a public mobile SIM in my 5G ACE here and it worked (SMS/MMS/data) without doing anything. Device is set to automatically select the network.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2006
1370 posts
170 upvotes
Toronto
Any chance the Samsung FE drops in price..still 697 on Costco...?
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2005
4012 posts
2020 upvotes
Pointe-Claire
monkimajikalle wrote: Try resetting the network settings and then re-enter them per the other posts here.

Go to Settings -> System -> Reset options -> Reset wifi,mobile, bluetooth

UPDATE: I just put a public mobile SIM in my 5G ACE here and it worked (SMS/MMS/data) without doing anything. Device is set to automatically select the network.
Thanks! I did the reset. When I check the network settings it does show a Rogers APN(?) but the settings are not the same as shown from the website. Data did not work.

Anyways, thanks to all who offered suggestions on how to fix my issue. Starting to wonder if the phone or my SIM is the problem? Had enough for today... going to take a break, try tomorrow.

Stay safe!
Sep 11, 2009
67 posts
81 upvotes
GTA
deals46 wrote: Thanks! I did the reset. When I check the network settings it does show a Rogers APN(?) but the settings are not the same as shown from the website. Data did not work.

Anyways, thanks to all who offered suggestions on how to fix my issue. Starting to wonder if the phone or my SIM is the problem? Had enough for today... going to take a break, try tomorrow.

Stay safe!
Try changing it from auto to manual and then enter in the APN settings shown for Petro Canada Mobility (a Rogers MVNO).

How old is your SIM card?

Take a look at Public Mobile. It's Telus based and they have better plans plus a very good online community. I had Petro Can Mobility a looong time ago but ported out to Koodo.
Jul 14, 2016
171 posts
139 upvotes
sneh88 wrote: Hello, would anyone (those who have the phone) be kind enough to let me know if this phone supports dual sim (sim + sim instead of SD, for example?). Many thanks, cant find concrete details online. Thank you.
the moto g 5g does
moto g 5g, on LineageOS (in an otterbox case because gorilla glass is too much of a luxury for motorola) moto g8 power, on public mobile's 120$ with tax 12GB plan/3 mths
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2005
4012 posts
2020 upvotes
Pointe-Claire
monkimajikalle wrote: Try changing it from auto to manual and then enter in the APN settings shown for Petro Canada Mobility (a Rogers MVNO).

How old is your SIM card?

Take a look at Public Mobile. It's Telus based and they have better plans plus a very good online community. I had Petro Can Mobility a looong time ago but ported out to Koodo.

Please explain how/where to switch from auto to manual? Thanks.

I just replaced the SIM card back in my Asus. When I checked the APN, there were many different ones (10+) shown in a list, including the one that was the exact match to PCM.
It worked automatically.

Next, I put the SIM in the Ace. Checked the APN and only one showed up. It is Rogers but not with the correct settings.

I'm guessing either the SIM is not compatible (?) with the Ace, or vice-versa? Or, could the SIM be too old? Don't recall for sure... might be 3+ years?

* BTW, my apologies for being off-topic. The phone/deal is nice (that's why I bought it)... just having issues setting it up, probably due to PCM SIM?
Sep 11, 2009
67 posts
81 upvotes
GTA
dandu3 wrote:
moto g 5g, on LineageOS (in an otterbox case because gorilla glass is too much of a luxury for motorola)
Is this Otterbox the Commuter model? Have you actually dropped your Moto G 5G?
Sep 11, 2009
67 posts
81 upvotes
GTA
deals46 wrote: Please explain how/where to switch from auto to manual? Thanks.

I just replaced the SIM card back in my Asus. When I checked the APN, there were many different ones (10+) shown in a list, including the one that was the exact match to PCM.
It worked automatically.

Next, I put the SIM in the Ace. Checked the APN and only one showed up. It is Rogers but not with the correct settings.

I'm guessing either the SIM is not compatible (?) with the Ace, or vice-versa? Or, could the SIM be too old? Don't recall for sure... might be 3+ years?

* BTW, my apologies for being off-topic. The phone/deal is nice (that's why I bought it)... just having issues setting it up, probably due to PCM SIM?
Pull down from the top and press and hold on the mobile data icon. Scroll to the bottom and tap Advanced then scroll down and automatic selection tick box is there and AP Names is at very bottom .
Jul 14, 2016
171 posts
139 upvotes
monkimajikalle wrote: Is this Otterbox the Commuter model? Have you actually dropped your Moto G 5G?
yes, it's the one for the moto one 5g ace, they're identical. I've dropped it plenty of times and it's fine. I actually broke the otterbox the other day, not sure what happened, I ran my thumb across the bottom and the corner with the headphone jack just lifted off.

there's lots of complaints on amazon that this case is loose, and it is. feels like the case is always under tension because of that and it's weird because usually otterbox knows what they're doing. or maybe it's the moto one 5g ace and moto g 5g aren't actually identical lol.
moto g 5g, on LineageOS (in an otterbox case because gorilla glass is too much of a luxury for motorola) moto g8 power, on public mobile's 120$ with tax 12GB plan/3 mths
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2005
4012 posts
2020 upvotes
Pointe-Claire
monkimajikalle wrote: Pull down from the top and press and hold on the mobile data icon. Scroll to the bottom and tap Advanced then scroll down and automatic selection tick box is there and AP Names is at very bottom .

I wind up at the same place as I have been by going through the Settings icon. The automatic selection was off. When I try to make a selection, it shows the (wrong) Rogers connected already. Others show up (Bell, Telus, etc.) but no other Rogers available.

My luck, think Ace and PCM just don't go well together. Thanks anyway!
Dec 21, 2014
24 posts
15 upvotes
Markham, ON
Can't consider a phone without dual sim anymore lol.
Dec 19, 2007
50 posts
23 upvotes
deals46 wrote: I wind up at the same place as I have been by going through the Settings icon. The automatic selection was off. When I try to make a selection, it shows the (wrong) Rogers connected already. Others show up (Bell, Telus, etc.) but no other Rogers available.

My luck, think Ace and PCM just don't go well together. Thanks anyway!
Some phones don't come provisioned for APN settings of smaller carriers and MVNOs from my experience. So Petro-Can Mobility APN settings won't be the same as Rogers' even though they use the same network. In these cases, the phone might use the APN settings of the network it's trying to connect to by default (Rogers in this case), so you'll need to enter the APN settings manually for your carrier. From a quick search, have you tried the settings found here?

I don't have this phone, so I'm not sure what the network settings menu looks like, but if you can manually create new APN settings (as mentioned in the link provided) and then select it instead of the default Rogers one, hopefully it'll work for you.