• Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2022 4:58 am
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2005
4012 posts
2020 upvotes
Pointe-Claire
Karifore wrote: Some phones don't come provisioned for APN settings of smaller carriers and MVNOs from my experience. So Petro-Can Mobility APN settings won't be the same as Rogers' even though they use the same network. In these cases, the phone might use the APN settings of the network it's trying to connect to by default (Rogers in this case), so you'll need to enter the APN settings manually for your carrier. From a quick search, have you tried the settings found here?

I don't have this phone, so I'm not sure what the network settings menu looks like, but if you can manually create new APN settings (as mentioned in the link provided) and then select it instead of the default Rogers one, hopefully it'll work for you.
Thanks! I'm finding this out first hand...
There seems to be something about this Ace - I've tried to manually create the appropriate APN with varying degrees of success. Sometimes it'll kick me out as I'm setting up the APN, or it won't save the APN, or...

I might try a factory reboot to see if that helps? Frustrating setup experience... too bad (for me) since this seems like a nice phone overall.
I can't afford to save that much!
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2005
4012 posts
2020 upvotes
Pointe-Claire
seafoodmwg wrote: Looks like these are $329 on Amazon.ca right now?

Also I just won one (which is why I was looking up the price)! Yay me :)
Saw this on Amazon for $329 but just be aware that it is described as "Renewed".

What is Amazon Renewed?
Amazon Renewed is your trusted destination for a huge selection of smartphones, computers, video games, power tools and even more products that work and look like new and come with a supplier-backed warranty.

Congrats on the win!
Sep 11, 2009
67 posts
81 upvotes
GTA
deals46 wrote: I wind up at the same place as I have been by going through the Settings icon. The automatic selection was off. When I try to make a selection, it shows the (wrong) Rogers connected already. Others show up (Bell, Telus, etc.) but no other Rogers available.

My luck, think Ace and PCM just don't go well together. Thanks anyway!
Did you try going into the Access Point Names at the bottom? The APN page has a + at the top.

https://mobility.petro-canada.ca/support-data-settings.aspx
Sep 11, 2009
67 posts
81 upvotes
GTA
dandu3 wrote: yes, it's the one for the moto one 5g ace, they're identical. I've dropped it plenty of times and it's fine. I actually broke the otterbox the other day, not sure what happened, I ran my thumb across the bottom and the corner with the headphone jack just lifted off.

there's lots of complaints on amazon that this case is loose, and it is. feels like the case is always under tension because of that and it's weird because usually otterbox knows what they're doing. or maybe it's the moto one 5g ace and moto g 5g aren't actually identical lol.
Yeah I saw those complaints. Looking at the design and price tag I took a hard pass on it. There was more marketing fluff on their built-in antimicrobial "protection" than anything else. Face With Tears Of Joy

Do you have a screen protector on as well ?
Sep 11, 2009
67 posts
81 upvotes
GTA
seuxlo wrote: Can't consider a phone without dual sim anymore lol.
You will need to buy an International or imported (ie from Europe) device then. Most, if not all NA phones are single SIM.

Although I did see some dual SIM Pixel devices on BH Photo but those will not ship to Canada.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2011
1045 posts
256 upvotes
Surrey
tntdeal wrote: I had to resort to buying from overseas the Poco F3 for less money but much better phone than this. I prefer to buy domestic market phones but not always possible or sensible.

I also prefer to choose phones carefully to avoid software obsolescence so I don't have to throw out phone unnecessarily when the hardware is not yet obsolete and still perfectly working fine. My Pixel 2XL is perfect hardware-wise after 3 years, battery still 97%. But it's began slowing down significantly, to frequent near freezing, for no reason so I've had to disable features and uninstall less used apps to get it going. My PH-1 about the same age but with LineageOS is so speedy, works just like new, so I'll put LOS on the 2XL soon enough once I have some spare time.
How's Poco? I looked at it. Why it's better? Specs are about the same here, plus this one is protected by Costco. Dealing with China is a hassle.
Tangerine and Public Mobile customer
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2005
4012 posts
2020 upvotes
Pointe-Claire
monkimajikalle wrote: Did you try going into the Access Point Names at the bottom? The APN page has a + at the top.

https://mobility.petro-canada.ca/support-data-settings.aspx

That's the settings page that I've been referencing. Finally managed to create (and save) an APN with those exact settings.

Phone calling works but when I try to access the internet, it does not work and shows:
No internet connection. 🤨
Feb 15, 2010
31 posts
7 upvotes
Ottawa
I got both of these from Fizz....and i would say the A52 5G is better to me.
A52 5G ($260 + tax with voucher)
Moto G Ace ($288 + tax with voucher)
gotglint wrote: how is this vs Samsung A52?
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2005
4012 posts
2020 upvotes
Pointe-Claire
scotsman88 wrote: I got both of these from Fizz....and i would say the A52 5G is better to me.
A52 5G ($260 + tax with voucher)
Moto G Ace ($288 + tax with voucher)

Are those phone prices conditional on having/getting a 24 month plan with Fizz?
I assume that it would not apply to just buying the (unlocked?) phone by itself?
Oct 14, 2010
141 posts
100 upvotes
Thunder Bay
Anyone know how the camera on this would compare to the Moto One Action?
Considering an upgrade.
Dec 13, 2016
601 posts
347 upvotes
GTA
redmondflagger wrote: Mind explaining why?
the ability to use two sims at the same time in 1 phone
1st sim for wife
2nd sim is for GF
FreedomMobile 30 GB $50 F&F
DakilangMangingibig
Feb 15, 2010
31 posts
7 upvotes
Ottawa
deals46 wrote: Are those phone prices conditional on having/getting a 24 month plan with Fizz?
I assume that it would not apply to just buying the (unlocked?) phone by itself?

Well only subscribers get the $100 voucher for starters...and yes, you need an existing plan or to buy a new plan to get the phone outright.
I highly recommend Fizz to anyone in QC or NCR. On top of the obvious perks....their phone prices are great!
this is my 3rd phone purchased through them. Last year i got my daughter a Pixel 4a brand new for $450.
Jul 14, 2016
170 posts
131 upvotes
monkimajikalle wrote: Yeah I saw those complaints. Looking at the design and price tag I took a hard pass on it. There was more marketing fluff on their built-in antimicrobial "protection" than anything else. Face With Tears Of Joy

Do you have a screen protector on as well ?
Of course. Since there's no gorilla glass it scratches and cracks if you look at it wrong. My moto g power is absolutely destroyed, and it's not like I've treated it worse than my previous phones.
moto g 5g, on LineageOS (in an otterbox case because gorilla glass is too much of a luxury for motorola) moto g8 power, on public mobile's 120$ with tax 12GB plan/3 mths
Nov 7, 2011
189 posts
216 upvotes
AGASSIZ
I am not sure if anyone mentioned this but Telus has the Motorola One 5G Ace on for $10 a month right now, plus no down payment and 0% interest for 24 months.
Plus they are giving a bonus free Lenovo e300 notebook.
Sorry if this is mentioned elseware, and I am not sure if you need a Telus plan of any kind or not.
Last edited by raceral on Dec 30th, 2021 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 11, 2009
67 posts
81 upvotes
GTA
dandu3 wrote: Of course. Since there's no gorilla glass it scratches and cracks if you look at it wrong. My moto g power is absolutely destroyed, and it's not like I've treated it worse than my previous phones.
I have an old Moto G5S+ (imported from the US) with Gorilla Glass 3 + aluminum frame + back and only a thin Spigen rubber case. Has been dropped so many times. Glass is still scratch free and still looks new! And here's the kicker....NO screen protector!

On the other hand, reviews for the Samsung A52 with GorillaGlass 5 showed easy scratching, so it seems like even the newer "glass" versions aren't like the older gen stuff!
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1410 posts
607 upvotes
Canada
massakk wrote: How's Poco? I looked at it. Why it's better? Specs are about the same here, plus this one is protected by Costco. Dealing with China is a hassle.
There's a risk of overseas warranty hassle as trade off for a much better spec phone at better price. In the least, the processor and screen are much better on the F3, with higher popularity and therefor more custom rom support already available. You can check out the Poco thread for experience reports. I ordered one on 11/11 but the seller did not ship for some reason, while everyone else seems to have no problem. I ended up with a Pixel 6 on Cyber Monday for $15/m.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2011
5964 posts
3325 upvotes
raceral wrote: I am not sure if anyone mentioned this but Telus has the Motorola One 5G Ace on for $10 a month right now, plus no down payment and 0% interest for 24 months.
Sorry if this is mentioned elseware, and I am not sure if you need a Telus plan of any kind or not.
$80/month minimum plan

ends up $90 per month for 2 years.
Sep 11, 2009
67 posts
81 upvotes
GTA
trinxified wrote: $80/month minimum plan

ends up $90 per month for 2 years.
Yeah, $10/month for the phone but it costs you significantly more over 24 months from a TCO perspective.
[OP]
Apr 25, 2019
624 posts
1114 upvotes
raceral wrote: I am not sure if anyone mentioned this but Telus has the Motorola One 5G Ace on for $10 a month right now, plus no down payment and 0% interest for 24 months.
Koodo has the same deal with a lower plan minimum. $50 12 GB + $10/mo. tab + free Lenovo Chromebook.
Public Mobile 5GB $29
Samsung Galaxy A53 owner.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)