• Aug 31st, 2020 1:04 pm
[OP]
May 8, 2016
86 posts
489 upvotes

Nature Scraper Wood BBQ Cleaner $9.97 Calgary

Retailer:
Costco
Saw this at Costco Sunridge in Calgary. I bought it couple months ago when it was around 20 bucks I think.
Images
  • 4D46D84B-2821-489C-8F78-0C96C34165DF.jpeg
Last edited by TomRFD on Aug 31st, 2020 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: retailer field wasn't linking properly
20 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
9506 posts
2928 upvotes
Should be able to use this on a Blackstone griddle. Would prefer this over the metal scraper from Blackstone.
Jan 7, 2010
113 posts
73 upvotes
Burlington
Do these work as well as wire scrapers?
Aug 31, 2009
750 posts
523 upvotes
Toronto
werent these been giving them away for memberships?
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
2686 posts
3634 upvotes
BC
Probably not as good quality but the one I got from dollarama for $4 has served me well so far

Dec 14, 2013
112 posts
133 upvotes
AJAX
Can't believe people would pay $9.97, let alone consider a deal, for a piece of wood that has a hole in it for your fingers to go through...
At this price, the entire (1) tree would have a value of something like $6000+. That's crazy.
Note: very simple calculations used, assuming 30 units per diameter, times 20 (conservatively) in length per tree.
That's just how I see it....

Edit: Just saw how thin the Dollarama ones are, make that 50/diameter trunk.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
17002 posts
6135 upvotes
aandaleb wrote: Can't believe people would pay $9.97, let alone consider a deal, for a piece of wood that has a hole in it for your fingers to go through...
At this price, the entire (1) tree would have a value of something like $6000+. That's crazy.
Note: very simple calculations used, assuming 30 units per diameter, times 20 (conservatively) in length per tree.

Most consumer products have triple or quadruple digit markups.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
3063 posts
4225 upvotes
Langley, BC
aandaleb wrote: Can't believe people would pay $9.97, let alone consider a deal, for a piece of wood that has a hole in it for your fingers to go through...

I’m with you. So today I went to the forest and cut down an old growth tree. It wasn’t easy, but it sure does make an excellent bbq scraper.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
17002 posts
6135 upvotes
steven80 wrote: I’m with you. So today I went to the forest and cut down an old growth tree. It wasn’t easy, but it sure does make an excellent bbq scraper.
Well done.
Despite is superiority i hope you were able to make one spare from the same tree.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3681 posts
1334 upvotes
I have a cedar one and the smell after using it on a hot grill is worth the money
Jan 18, 2005
160 posts
83 upvotes

Obviously we pay for convenience and for someone to turn raw materials into products.

However, this is just a piece of cedar. I use an extra shake that I had from roofing my BBQ shed, but any piece will do. You can use fence paneling.
Nov 16, 2016
956 posts
985 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
As a honest question for people who bbq often - Why do people use this instead of the metal brushes?

I recently got into barbequing, and I bought some basic equipment including a metal brush.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1697 posts
950 upvotes
Vancouver
I have one of these. they suck. But I got another as a gift from a friend so I'll be using this for a while.

Metal bristles can be dangerous, but the cases are so far and few inbetween I'm lead to believe that people are a) using their wire brushes season after season until it's clearly time to toss it and b) not inspecting the grill after brushing it.
Yes it takes time to inspect the grill (and they can be hard to spot), but these paddles just don't really remove certain types of build up. That being said, I've been grilling just fine with them, it's just not pretty.

(I even have the spiral wire brushes, and they suck more, worse than these.)

I should just buy a heavy wire bristle and clean it once in a while, then use the wooden paddle as a mental thing to know I've cleared it of any bristles.
Bigboy16 wrote: As a honest question for people who bbq often - Why do people use this instead of the metal brushes?
There were a lot of news stories that got popular about people ingesting wire bristles that had fallen off the brush, stuck to the grates, then got stuck to some food. Lead to surgeries etc.
Small risk but big impact. If you want to basically not deal with that risk, that's what these wooden paddles are for.
May 27, 2006
192 posts
90 upvotes
During use the wire bristles can break off of the wire brush and stick to the grill and then to whatever you're grilling. If it is then ingested with the grilled food it can get logged/stuck in your throat, intestines, etc. leading to serious injury, hospitilization, surgery to remove, etc.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
17002 posts
6135 upvotes
Sypsy wrote: I have one of these. they suck. But I got another as a gift from a friend so I'll be using this for a while.
It will work best if you start with squeaky clean grates, and use this after each use of the BBQ and before a reheat bakes the residue into the grates.
If you get in the habit of using it just before you heat up the BBQ (without fail) they will work great and without too much extra elbow grease.