• Last Updated:
  • Sep 23rd, 2016 10:18 am
Penalty Box
Nov 23, 2012
1451 posts
266 upvotes
Toronto

Costco negative option autorenew on memberships

I have had a Costco member ship for several years and after each year I had to renew it. Something different happened after I got the Costco Membershipcard.
Costco auto renewed my membership, I haven't called yet but it is probably in the fine print.

I buy stuff from Costco infrequently, maybe once every 2 months. I also walk by a store frequently so I might grab a small item more regularly but nothing to justify buying a membership.
So, I guess I should get rid of my CC and go back to cash even if I do call them and they agree not to auto renew out of principle.

Has anyone else called Costco on this?
15 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
1554 posts
834 upvotes
Calgary, AB
They will renew it on the spot when you buy something and it is expired or expiring, I haven't heard of auto-renewal being set up.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20135 posts
2963 upvotes
Fort McMurray wrote: They will renew it on the spot when you buy something and it is expired or expiring, I haven't heard of auto-renewal being set up.
Yep what happens is if you go to buy something and it is going to expire that month or is already expired, this flag shows up on the register and they ask you right then if you want to renew.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Sep 6, 2004
510 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
I don't understand, how can they autorenew you? How would they even bill you? You could potentially have multiple credit cards or maybe always paid in cash.
May 29, 2008
828 posts
374 upvotes
I don't have a Costco Mastercard, but I know their American Express card auto-renewed. That was clearly explained to me when I got that card. I assume it to be true for the Mastercard as well.

You can get rid of the Costco Mastercard if you want. Cash is fine, but if you have another Mastercard, that will work as well because if they take Mastercard, they have to accept all Mastercards.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3252 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
tungustungus wrote: I have had a Costco member ship for several years and after each year I had to renew it. Something different happened after I got the Costco Membershipcard.
Costco auto renewed my membership, I haven't called yet but it is probably in the fine print.

Well I'm presuming you called them when you first discovered it, so what did they say then?
If you have the Capital One MasterCard that they've been promoting in-store, it's most likely an auto renewal on your CC as per the agreement you signed. They certainly had it on the Amex and I would be surprised if they didn't tell you about it when signing up for the card, or listed it clearly on the benefits summary. They did for the Amex, I know for sure.
I also walk by a store frequently so I might grab a small item more regularly but nothing to justify buying a membership.
Well, unless you're buying something from their eatery, everything you buy from there justifies a membership because you can't shop there unless you are a member.
So, I guess I should get rid of my CC and go back to cash even if I do call them and they agree not to auto renew out of principle.
Whatever floats your boat. :)
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
ALLCAPS wrote:
tungustungus wrote: I have had a Costco member ship for several years and after each year I had to renew it. Something different happened after I got the Costco Membershipcard.

Well I'm presuming you called them when you first discovered it, so what did they say then?
A call isn't needed if they took the time to actually read what they're signing (and signing up for)
If you have the Capital One MasterCard that they've been promoting in-store, it's most likely an auto renewal on your CC as per the agreement you signed.

It's not "most likely" it's definitely there in the fine print.
So is the option to opt out.
Also known as I get my panties in a knot every time something happens to me that was clearly covered in a document that I already should have read and agreed to.
Fort McMurray wrote:I haven't heard of auto-renewal being set up.
Another person that doesn't read the fine print.

Since no one wants to read anything any more, I doubt anyone will read this but:
If you're approved for this card, you authorize your annual Costco membership renewal fee to be charged to your credit card account. If you'd like to pay for your membership in another way, please contact Costco directly at 1-800-463-3783.

http://www.capitalone.ca/credit-cards/costco/
Under Extras -> Doubles as your Costco membership card
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Penalty Box
Nov 23, 2012
1451 posts
266 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote:
ALLCAPS wrote:

A call isn't needed if they took the time to actually read what they're signing (and signing up for)
If you have the Capital One MasterCard that they've been promoting in-store, it's most likely an auto renewal on your CC as per the agreement you signed.

Also known as I get my panties in a knot every time something happens to me that was clearly covered in a document that I already should have read and agreed to.

Since no one wants to read anything any more, I doubt anyone will read this but:
If you're approved for this card, you authorize your annual Costco membership renewal fee to be charged to your credit card account. If you'd like to pay for your membership in another way, please contact Costco directly at 1-800-463-3783.

Reading the fine print on my CC is not one of my hobbies and please don't try to pass that bunk about reading all the fineprint on something so common as a Mastercard.
I never said anything about getting all upset, I just said I was going to cancel the CC out of principle. You know as a consumer I have a right not to do business with their Mastercard if I don't like how they work it. Isn't that what your type says when people don't want to do business somewhere?
Penalty Box
Nov 23, 2012
1451 posts
266 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote:
ALLCAPS wrote:

It is like you never heard a complaint about BS fineprint?
Yep like a VAST MAJORITY of people I didn't read it, have better things to do. When I buy a car I read the fineprint. When i sign up for a piddly CC I don't, would rather be doing something else. I can take the $55 hit, I shop there anyways and would cancel out of principle if that is how they want to run it every year.

thanks though for providing the 1-800 number, I will call to option out of the negative option renewal.
Penalty Box
Nov 23, 2012
1451 posts
266 upvotes
Toronto
brunes wrote:
Fort McMurray wrote: They will renew it on the spot when you buy something and it is expired or expiring, I haven't heard of auto-renewal being set up.
Yep what happens is if you go to buy something and it is going to expire that month or is already expired, this flag shows up on the register and they ask you right then if you want to renew.
They definitely didn't ask me, I wish they did, I still would have said OK.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
tungustungus wrote: Reading the fine print on my CC is not one of my hobbies and please don't try to pass that bunk about reading all the fineprint on something so common as a Mastercard.
Years ago when I worked in customer service for various businesses, I got that kind of complaint a lot -- something didn't work out in their favor, they called in looking for relief of some kind, and I had to point out "as per the terms and conditions which you agreed to..."

And if somebody claims "I never signed anything" or "I never read it" the answer was always the same. You were given those terms in writing, and by doing business with us, you agree to those terms. Nobody forced you to do business with us or any other company. And I can guarantee all our competitors will also subject you to those same terms.

Something to keep in mind next time you think your bank, telecom provider, energy utility, warehouse club, airline, or whatever "screwed you" and you call in looking for a fight. As per the terms and conditions which you agreed to, the fight was over yesterday and you already lost.
Penalty Box
Nov 23, 2012
1451 posts
266 upvotes
Toronto
Canada has laws to protect against some of that "unconscionable business practices" are not supported. It Doesn't matter what is in the contract. EULAs work into that too.

My company had a tough policy too, it was short and I made sure I informed people about it, it saved issues down the road it just made good business sense. Still policy can be broken our policy to break and I saw it broken a few times due to a reasonable argument.
Often when I see an overly wordy contract (Bank accounts and CCs are exception) I just say "no thanks" I don't have time to read a full page of tiny print for your little service.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3252 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
tungustungus wrote:
Reading the fine print on my CC is not one of my hobbies and please don't try to pass that bunk about reading all the fineprint on something so common as a MasterCard.
It's a contract. If you don't read at least the basic T&C, you have no right to complain (whether it's out of "principle" or otherwise) if they told you they'd do something like auto renew your membership on that specific card and you couldn't be bothered seeing that.
I never said anything about getting all upset, I just said I was going to cancel the CC out of principle.

Well, apparently you were upset enough to gripe here, and decide to cancel the card out of "principle".
You know as a consumer I have a right not to do business with their Mastercard if I don't like how they work it.

You also have the right as a consumer to not actually get the card if you don't like how they work it...and this is something that would have been right out there in the open, on the application form.
Isn't that what your type says when people don't want to do business somewhere?
Well, I think Death_Hawk - much like me - is the type who knows what they're getting themselves into.
It is like you never heard a complaint about BS fineprint?
Actually, It's not really fine print at all. It's fairly straightforward on the application if it's anything like the Amex, and it would also be there in the welcome letter, etc (correct me if I'm wrong, people...I don't have the Capital One card).
Yep like a VAST MAJORITY of people I didn't read it, have better things to do.

So then don't complain about something that was presented to you in a clear manner. It's not as if it was half way through a 60 page document.
When i sign up for a piddly CC I don't, would rather be doing something else.

...apparently you'd prefer to be griping in an internet discussion forum and wasting time phoning Costco and cancelling credit cards.
I can take the $55 hit, I shop there anyways and would cancel out of principle if that is how they want to run it every year.
That's how they've run it for as long as I could remember with their Amex card, and I recall it being made very obvious at the signup process and in my initial documentation.
thanks though for providing the 1-800 number, I will call to option out of the negative option renewal.
What...that "negative option renewal" you agreed to when you applied for the card? Yup. Give 'em a call, I'm sure they'd be happy to help you out and I'm sure you're not the first of "your type". :)
Canada has laws to protect against some of that "unconscionable business practices" are not supported.
For some reason, I don't think that a clearly summarised auto renewal of the membership, on a credit card for which you are consciously applying would fall into the category of unconscionable.
It Doesn't matter what is in the contract.
Actually, it matters plenty.
EULAs work into that too.
Actually, strictly speaking they don't work like that too.
My company had a tough policy too, it was short and I made sure I informed people about it, it saved issues down the road it just made good business sense. Still policy can be broken our policy to break and I saw it broken a few times due to a reasonable argument.
There's a difference between a policy and a contractual agreement.
Often when I see an overly wordy contract (Bank accounts and CCs are exception) I just say "no thanks" I don't have time to read a full page of tiny print for your little service.
That's your choice. But if it comes back to bite you in the proverbial, or in the case of this CC, simply provides a service it outlined it would provide at the time of application, then you don't have grounds to complain.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
1554 posts
834 upvotes
Calgary, AB
death_hawk wrote:
ALLCAPS wrote:

There is fine print on my membership card and cash, wowzas that is the craziest thing since sliced bread!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
7972 posts
9092 upvotes
Toronto
tungustungus wrote: Reading the fine print on my CC is not one of my hobbies and please don't try to pass that bunk about reading all the fineprint on something so common as a Mastercard.
Oh, boy....

I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Penalty Box
Nov 23, 2012
1451 posts
266 upvotes
Toronto

Stop.
I have other stuff to read and think about. Not reading the lengthy CC contract in detail is not a great risk and no great financial disaster is about to be experienced by me.
Please take yourself and your pile of unimportant papers to the holodeck, I am sure you two can dream up a catastrophic scenario that is entertaining to you without interfering with more important matters.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)