Expired Hot Deals

Costco

Nellie’s Bulk Dishwasher Powder $175.99 (save $44)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 29th, 2022 10:32 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
16605 posts
6039 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

[Costco] Nellie’s Bulk Dishwasher Powder $175.99 (save $44)

Costco now sells Nellie's dishwasher powder. $176 for 43.65lbs worth. Should last 5 years or more even if you use it daily.

Review by Safe Household Cleaning
Last edited by TomRFD on Jun 29th, 2022 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: price was missing from the title
RFD is love. RFD is life.
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2018
6319 posts
19477 upvotes
Kitchener
Price in title please.
PC: i9 9900ks, RTX 3060 Ti 8gb, 64gb RAM
Phone: iPhone 8 64gb
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
14180 posts
29240 upvotes
Don’t think I want to invest $176 in dishwasher soap for now
Deal Addict
May 30, 2011
3239 posts
1859 upvotes
Seems crazy expensive ... I buy the Cascade powder in the 3.54kg box for about $10 on sale ($12 is regular price). Even at regular price that converts to $67 for the same size as this (19.8kg).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
6239 posts
4590 upvotes
flyer12 wrote: Seems crazy expensive ... I buy the Cascade powder in the 3.54kg box for about $10 on sale ($12 is regular price). Even at regular price that converts to $67 for the same size as this (19.8kg).
It's probably expensive, but how many loads is a 3.54kg box?

Same weight may yield much less loads.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2011
3239 posts
1859 upvotes
hvc wrote: It's probably expensive, but how many loads is a 3.54kg box?

Same weight may yield much less loads.
Dishwasher soap is measured by the internal dishwasher compartment. I fill the pre-wash hole (the pre-wash is why those action packs are a bad idea) and about 1/2 full of the regular wash hole (about a tablespoon in total). I imagine it would be the same amount with this Nellies as it is the same dishwasher. And even if it was less (maybe they provide a scoop in the bucket) I can't see it only using less than a 1/3 tablespoon to break even on the price ...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
6239 posts
4590 upvotes
flyer12 wrote: Dishwasher soap is measured by the internal dishwasher compartment. I fill the pre-wash hole (the pre-wash is why those action packs are a bad idea) and about 1/2 full of the regular wash hole (about a tablespoon in total). I imagine it would be the same amount with this Nellies as it is the same dishwasher. And even if it was less (maybe they provide a scoop in the bucket) I can't see it only using less than a 1/3 tablespoon to break even on the price ...
Yeah, I legitimately had no idea as I don't use powder but prefaced my question that Nellie's was probably more expensive.

Even if it was the same price (or cheaper), it's wayyy too much detergent for me lol
Jan 11, 2017
81 posts
29 upvotes
GTA
flyer12 wrote: Seems crazy expensive ... I buy the Cascade powder in the 3.54kg box for about $10 on sale ($12 is regular price). Even at regular price that converts to $67 for the same size as this (19.8kg).
Curious where u buy 3.5kg cascade powder from?

I suppose it ends up being cheaper than pods?
Deal Addict
May 30, 2011
3239 posts
1859 upvotes
Bigjaye47 wrote: Curious where u buy 3.5kg cascade powder from?

I get them at RCSS
link
I don't like the pods as the majority of the cleaning a dishwasher does in in the pre-rinse cycle and unless you put the pod loose in the dishwasher (and then have no soap left for the main wash) you don't get any soap to get that first batch of dirt off the dishes.
Nov 29, 2003
379 posts
148 upvotes
North York
Bigjaye47 wrote: Curious where u buy 3.5kg cascade powder from?

I get a 1.8 KG of No Name dishwasher powder from No Frills. It's about 20 grams to the load, putting it at 90 loads for something like 5-6 bucks. I don't think I've seen even Costco sell 120 loads for less than 15 bucks.

Pods are going to cost you for convenience and forced portion sizing (which may not be correct for the amount of dishes you're doing or the type of load / water).

For the record I think I need to buy in bigger bulk. That Cascade is the same price as my No Name stuff. But yeah, powder always comes out ahead.
May 3, 2017
42 posts
23 upvotes
It says 1100 loads on the box, and it says it comes with a scoop.

Comparatively my last box of cascade tabs from Costco (115 tabs) was around $17 on sale.

This is a good deal and based on their clothes washing formula, I'd bet this stuff works pretty well too.

If I did dishwashing more regularly I'd consider this.
Jan 14, 2007
58 posts
35 upvotes
We have softened water, and found that the amount of soap in pods was too much and so was scoring the glasses. With Nellie's we can control how much we use per load (we use about 2/3 of the supplied scoop).

I've been buying it at Terra20, refilling our can at just under $20 for 1kg, so this bucket is about half price. We use 1kg every 3 months, so this should be a 5-year bucket.
Dec 24, 2007
781 posts
1284 upvotes
thumbs up for using powder. works out way cheaper and better, especially if you pre wash.

i buy the liquid or powdered cascade at SDM when its on sale, i get personalized offers for cascade all the time, and with a 20X the points my cost per wash is always in the single cents. i have an electric water heater so i wash after dinner for extra frugal points.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2016
1241 posts
1043 upvotes
It says 1100 loads so only $0.16 per load, it looks like a very good price
Aug 3, 2005
619 posts
239 upvotes
The purpuse of buying Nellie's vs cascade or other "leading brands" is the ingredients used in these products that can overtime cause health issues and environmental damage.

I recommend everyone who cares about their health to check EWG website which provide analysis of all the ingredients used in many products including dishwashers, cleaning products, ...

For comparison nellies dishwasher powder gets grade A due to containing less harmfull ingredients while cascade gets D (worst possible) due to having many ingredients linked to health issues.

By the way if you use your dishwasher everyday once this bucket will last you for 5 years so 40$ per year.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)