• Last Updated:
  • May 5th, 2020 9:58 am
[OP]
Mar 21, 2013
165 posts
200 upvotes
Edmonton

[Costco] Nest Hello and Nest x Yale Lock Bundle

Came across this deal here today and thought to share. In the markey for both of these myself, is this a good deal or would I be wiser to hold out for better savings?
38 replies
Oct 3, 2007
302 posts
190 upvotes
stevester911 wrote: Came across this deal here today and thought to share. In the markey for both of these myself, is this a good deal or would I be wiser to hold out for better savings?
It’s not a terrible price but definitely not the lowest. A good price for the doorbell and lock would be $200 and $250 respectively. So $450 for both would be ideal but you’d have to wait. Lol if you need it right now, then yea it’s an okay price
Nov 25, 2006
565 posts
374 upvotes
Nest Hello sucks. It constantly loses connection even though other devices nearby the doorbell have no problems with connection.
Plus, there is going to be a new Yale smart door lock this year. It will have the Wi-Fi connector built in so you don't need separate connector.

Edit:
Looks like this IS the new one with the Wi-Fi connector built-in.
Nevertheless, I got my Nest Hello for $220 last boxing day and the older version of the Yale door lock had been down to $200. I'd wait for a better deal.
Aug 7, 2008
466 posts
174 upvotes
I've never had an issue with my Nest Hello losing connection. I've had it set up for about 6 months.
May 3, 2016
822 posts
616 upvotes
rogerchoi wrote: Nest Hello sucks. It constantly loses connection even though other devices nearby the doorbell have no problems with connection.
Plus, there is going to be a new Yale smart door lock this year. It will have the Wi-Fi connector built in so you don't need separate connector.

Edit:
Nevertheless, I got my Nest Hello for $220 last boxing day and the older version of the Yale door lock had been down to $200. I'd wait for a better deal.
Defective unit possibly? Have you reached out to Nest/Google?
haushinka wrote: I've never had an issue with my Nest Hello losing connection. I've had it set up for about 6 months.
This is my experience as well (My Roger's internet issues aside lol)
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
1641 posts
1925 upvotes
Ottawa
rogerchoi wrote: Nest Hello sucks. It constantly loses connection even though other devices nearby the doorbell have no problems with connection.

Edit:
Think you should investigate further, the issue is definitely on your end. I installed my Nest and it worked flawlessly for a month....then it stopped. I couldn't connect to the feed at all through the app. I had done a soft and then hard reset and still didn't work. Turns out that I had forgotten I had switched to a way more powerful and also security heavy router. The built in firewall settings were causing the issue. Now it works perfectly again for months.

If yours is losing connection just occasionally, you may have router settings hurting. Or just poor WiFi in that area.

As for this deal, the lock goes for $359 and the cam $300. If love to know anyone in very getting this for $450. Best you'll get is maybe $50 each of them...so $559. With that in mind, this is a decent deal now. I have both and love them.
Last edited by aidendanger on May 4th, 2020 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nov 25, 2006
565 posts
374 upvotes
saad29 wrote: Defective unit possibly? Have you reached out to Nest/Google?
This is my experience as well (My Roger's internet issues aside lol)
Perhaps it is a defective unit. It worked fine for the first three months, though. I will try to contact them, but it's hard to get a hold of actual people with the lockdown these days.
Nov 25, 2006
565 posts
374 upvotes
aidendanger wrote: Think you should investigate further, the issue is definitely on your end. I installed my Nest and it worked flawlessly for a month....then it stopped. I couldn't connect to the feed at all through the app. I had done a soft and then hard reset and still didn't work. Turns out that I had forgotten I had switched to a way more powerful and also security heavy router. The built in firewall settings were causing the issue. Now it works perfectly again for months.

If yours is losing connection just occasionally, you may have router settings hurting. Or just poor WiFi in that area.

As for this deal, the lock goes for $359 and the cam $300. If love to know anyone in very getting this for $450. Best you'll get is maybe $50 each of them...so $509. With that in mind, this is a decent deal now. I have both and love them.
Could you elaborate on the built-in firewall thing with your router? I have had my current dir-2055 before buying the Nest Hello, but maybe it's worth looking into that.
I have 70% signal by the doorbell and get 50% on my driveway. So I don't think it is an issue with wifi signal strength.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
1641 posts
1925 upvotes
Ottawa
rogerchoi wrote: Could you elaborate on the built-in firewall thing with your router? I have had my current dir-2055 before buying the Nest Hello, but maybe it's worth looking into that.
I have 70% signal by the doorbell and get 50% on my driveway. So I don't think it is an issue with wifi signal strength.

I have the ASUS GT-AC5300 and it has a plethora of built in security features. Way too much for my uses. I disabled most so I didn't have to mess with port settings so you can check if your router has built in firewall in the GUI.

This may help:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nest/comments/ ... all_ports/

Also this under the advanced settings part:

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9240155

Hope this helps! Once working, I can't think of a better solution for what I needed. I subscribe to Nest Aware for the extra features.
Oct 21, 2009
469 posts
585 upvotes
How do the Hello’s perform in cold temperatures?
Deal Addict
May 2, 2007
1409 posts
641 upvotes
Toronto
i Have both and both work well. However in colder days the door lock somehow shows as unlocked on my app. Fortunately I have a Wyze camera pointed at the door and I can see nothing happened.

Overall very happy with this set and I would buy them again! (Although paying for Nest Aware is a bit annoying)
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1196 posts
296 upvotes
Bart_ wrote: How do the Hello’s perform in cold temperatures?
Just fine in my experience.

I have had it disconnect from wifi on rare occasions (same as my Nest Outdoor Camera) but it usually re-connects itself (the Outdoor sometimes needs a power cycle). The bigger issue I have had with the Nest Hello is being unable to get it going after a power outage. Those are generally rare but there has been a lot of work in my area this past year so more frequent for me. I have to disconnect the doorbell to reset it, which is a PITA.

One thing to note, Nest Hello notifications to your devices can be quite delayed.

Regarding the lock, people may want to consider the Yale Assure for the redundancy of a key if that’s important to you. You can also choose the network you want to use, whether it is WiFi (via August), Zwave, Zigbee, iM1 (HomeKit), etc... by buying the appropriate network module for the Yale but not Nest x Yale lock.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2009
1311 posts
535 upvotes
I had no issues with mine at all. Would definately recommend to anyone as long as they are aware that you need to subscribe to the service to get almost all the functionality of the doorbell
Dec 18, 2010
276 posts
122 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Just fine. I'm in Winnipeg and worked great all through winter.
Mar 7, 2011
684 posts
1007 upvotes
Note that nest hello without subscription is pretty bare bone. $50.00 + tax is small price to pay for convenience and security. Once you set it up there are hardly any issues.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2015
5274 posts
6093 upvotes
Alberta
I ran the hello for the past year without any disconnects, other than the one system wide Google outage. I live in northern Alberta and we had some brutally cold weather this year and it worked fine all winter.
Oct 28, 2012
140 posts
210 upvotes
VICTORIA
To others who may not be knowledgeable, Nest Hello is quite particular when it comes to it's wifi compatibility, and it really does not like mesh wifi networks, particularly Orbi.

Once you have your network and wifi configured to Nest Hello's liking, it should run rock solid. Until then, it's a nightmare of disconnections. I spent a long time with Nest support trying to get this stupid thing setup. We eventually got there, but it wasn't easy and it took a long time.

So, as long as you don't have an ORBI or a mesh wifi network, it should work fine. Otherwise, be prepared to spend time on forums and with Nest support trying to figure out why it either just won't connect, or will connect but drop out randomly.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2015
5274 posts
6093 upvotes
Alberta
Snake13 wrote: To others who may not be knowledgeable, Nest Hello is quite particular when it comes to it's wifi compatibility, and it really does not like mesh wifi networks, particularly Orbi.

Once you have your network and wifi configured to Nest Hello's liking, it should run rock solid. Until then, it's a nightmare of disconnections. I spent a long time with Nest support trying to get this stupid thing setup. We eventually got there, but it wasn't easy and it took a long time.

So, as long as you don't have an ORBI or a mesh wifi network, it should work fine. Otherwise, be prepared to spend time on forums and with Nest support trying to figure out why it either just won't connect, or will connect but drop out randomly.
I run Google wifi mesh with 4 access points and never had any issues.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17956 posts
12636 upvotes
Markham

Edit:
Mine has been very solid/stable - had it for years now.

It's gotta be your environment or you got a defective unit.
Things you could try if you still have it installed.
> I put mine Nest on a it's own separate SSID....2.4Ghz or 5 Ghz? Maybe put it on 5ghz if it's close enough.
> check the transformer as well

Cold weather - no issue for me here in the GTA.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Nov 25, 2006
565 posts
374 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Mine has been very solid/stable - had it for years now.

It's gotta be your environment or you got a defective unit.
Things you could try if you still have it installed.
> I put mine Nest on a it's own separate SSID....2.4Ghz or 5 Ghz? Maybe put it on 5ghz if it's close enough.
> check the transformer as well

Cold weather - no issue for me here in the GTA.
That's an interesting idea about the separate SSID. Did you have a connection issue before and doing it helped?