• Last Updated:
  • Jan 23rd, 2023 12:40 am
[OP]
Jun 13, 2008
164 posts
382 upvotes
Lonon

[Costco] NETGEAR ORBI WHOLE HOME MESH SYSTEM RBK653S-100CNS $299.99

Costco had the NETGEAR ORBI WHOLE HOME MESH SYSTEM RBK653S-100CNS for 299.99 down from 399.99 today instore (London)

Are these any good for wireless backhaul?
Images
  • 027890DA-2875-4531-93A7-5CD688183F91.jpeg
65 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
6040 posts
1413 upvotes
rural ontario
Orbi is supposed to be the cats meow of mesh routers, but expensive and simplistic interface. This one has a number of checks - wifi6, tri-band

I think this model is a cheaper/older one that is slower/less range then the 7xx/8xx series Orbi (but those ones are insane expensive).
72 69 6c 6c 65 73
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2004
3462 posts
82 upvotes
I would get the Deco systems from TP Link - Orbi was fantastic has seems that has been shifting more in recent years.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2003
2823 posts
2609 upvotes
RBK653 is $350 USD on Amazon.com right now, so this is indeed hot.

For context, the next-cheapest Orbi 3-pack at BestBuy.ca (and probably anywhere in Canada) is the slightly-higher-end RBK753 for $600. That is a significantly higher cost to get into an Orbi system.
Apr 26, 2009
918 posts
847 upvotes
Calgary
Orbi mesh is probably the best. I have an RBK50 that’s still going. Their interface sucks though.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2005
5764 posts
33801 upvotes
Montreal
UltimateB wrote: Orbi mesh is probably the best. I have an RBK50 that’s still going. Their interface sucks though.
So not worth it to upgrade then. Even at this price?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6783 posts
4352 upvotes
Toronto
If you are going to spend $300+, I would look into wifi 6e instead of just wifi 6. Better future proofing as more wireless devices are coming with wifi 6e to take advantage of 1gbps+ internet speed.

But if you are planning to stay under 500mbps internet for next few years, wifi 6 is totally fine.
Nov 10, 2003
676 posts
31 upvotes
UltimateB wrote: Orbi mesh is probably the best. I have an RBK50 that’s still going. Their interface sucks though.
I agree, solid mesh. Bought mine in 2019 and still running strong.
Nice and simple setup, but yes the interface can be improved.
Jul 15, 2003
918 posts
1283 upvotes
All of you complaining about interface, do yourself a favour and don't just use the app, go to their main portal using the standard 192.168.1.1 address on your desktop browser. It has all the bells and whistles older routers had.
Last edited by barcathegreat on Jan 19th, 2023 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 26, 2009
918 posts
847 upvotes
Calgary
barcathegreat wrote: All of you complaining about interface, do yourself a favour and don't just use the app, go to their main portal using the standard 198.168.1.1 address on your desktop browser. It has all the bells and whistles older routers had.
That’s the interface I’m complaining about, the web interface sucks. Not enough functionality for some of the stuff I need.

My previous routers have all been ASUS and love the fact that you can add a VPN client directly to it so I could have all devices connected to it pass through different VPN tunnels. For example I could have my TV go through a US VPN but everything else got though a Canadian one. Beats installing clients everywhere and trying to manage them, and you can’t install a client on some devices. Merlin was also fantastic

I know I can get install Voxel installed on the RBK50 but never looked into to any further.
Jun 10, 2007
32 posts
6 upvotes
Markham
krazykanuck wrote: So not worth it to upgrade then. Even at this price?
I am on the same boat with current setup of RBK50 and still going strong. My only concern would be the end of life support soon with RBK50.

Question 1: Upon reading more details around RBK653S the router itself is tri-band while the 2 satellites are only dual band so would that affect the overall performance? Current setup of RBK50 both router and satellite are both tri-band and hence the performance is pretty consistent. Cons of RBK50 would be the processor speed which is slower than RBK653S.

My house is around 2300 sq.feet and 1 satellite is more than enough of coverage.

Question 2: Would RBK752-100CNS be more align with upgrade from RBK50 given the size of the property?

Feedbacks are welcome as I am not a networking expert..
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2003
2823 posts
2609 upvotes
ndestrukt405 wrote: upgrade from RBK50
Wifi has a lot of voodoo involved (anything radio frequency does), so there's no way to say how a device will perform in your home. It's entirely possible a new router will have worse range, worse device compatibility, worse software features, or worse software stability. It's even possible for the CPU to be slower in practice, because you're just buying a newer version of the wifi standard, with no guarantee of anything else. There can be a different number of antenna streams too, so even with a newer standard client, you might find less wifi speed. That's not to mention of course wifi 6 does literally nothing for clients that aren't wifi 6.

There are a lot of confounding variables, so I suggest not wasting money or time fixing something that's not broken.
Aug 1, 2019
32 posts
32 upvotes
Not a single 2.5G Ethernet port, I'll pass
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2001
1374 posts
883 upvotes
Vancouver
I also have the RBK50 which had been running rock solid for several years (purchased July 2019)... that is until last month when it started randomly quitting for up to half a minute (no Wi-Fi connection, no Internet - wired or wireless). I tried factory reset, reflashed the firmware, etc. to no avail and just suffer with it now while looking for an alternative.

Would the equivalent Orbi today be RBK753? Seems like RBK653 could be a downgrade?

I know tech does not last forever but I'm pretty disappointed in the Orbi's longevity given it's high initial cost.
Jun 10, 2007
32 posts
6 upvotes
Markham
AEmgee wrote: I also have the RBK50 which had been running rock solid for several years (purchased July 2019)... that is until last month when it started randomly quitting for up to half a minute (no Wi-Fi connection, no Internet - wired or wireless). I tried factory reset, reflashed the firmware, etc. to no avail and just suffer with it now while looking for an alternative.

Would the equivalent Orbi today be RBK753? Seems like RBK653 could be a downgrade?

I know tech does not last forever but I'm pretty disappointed in the Orbi's longevity given it's high initial cost.
I would say RBK653 is a downgrade due to the dual-band satellites. I would say RBK753 makes more sense.
May 17, 2007
823 posts
314 upvotes
Toronto
I can’t say the same for the RBK50. It was a terrible at my house and my uncle house. It wouldn’t optimize the bands with all the interference.
Aug 5, 2008
419 posts
265 upvotes
ndestrukt405 wrote: I am on the same boat with current setup of RBK50 and still going strong. My only concern would be the end of life support soon with RBK50.

Question 1: Upon reading more details around RBK653S the router itself is tri-band while the 2 satellites are only dual band so would that affect the overall performance? Current setup of RBK50 both router and satellite are both tri-band and hence the performance is pretty consistent. Cons of RBK50 would be the processor speed which is slower than RBK653S.

My house is around 2300 sq.feet and 1 satellite is more than enough of coverage.

Question 2: Would RBK752-100CNS be more align with upgrade from RBK50 given the size of the property?

Feedbacks are welcome as I am not a networking expert..
RBK752 would be a more direct "upgrade". I think it was as low as $399 this past black friday/boxing week.
Someone mentioned Wifi 6E; I think the only 6E system that comes close in price is TP-Link Deco XE75, which was also as low as $299 for two nodes (or $399? can't really rmbr) black friday/boxing week.
Mar 31, 2010
465 posts
343 upvotes
AEmgee wrote: I also have the RBK50 which had been running rock solid for several years (purchased July 2019)... that is until last month when it started randomly quitting for up to half a minute (no Wi-Fi connection, no Internet - wired or wireless). I tried factory reset, reflashed the firmware, etc. to no avail and just suffer with it now while looking for an alternative.

I have the RBK752, UI sucks, but pretty solid, no random wifi drop. I have Telus 1G fibre, three feet away from main router, average speed is about 600mpbs.
Jan 6, 2011
442 posts
642 upvotes
toronto
wookie wrote: I would get the Deco systems from TP Link - Orbi was fantastic has seems that has been shifting more in recent years.
Agreed very happy with deco