• Jun 23rd, 2021 9:11 pm
[OP]
Feb 28, 2011
452 posts
792 upvotes
ottawa

New GEN3 ebikes starting from $1499.99

https://www.costco.ca/CatalogSearch?key ... ePrice+asc

Costco has some new GEN3 ebikes on its website. Seem to be quality bikes with decent 500W motor. Not the lightest and fastest but, good price point, Costco return policy.
They come in mountain, fat tire, step thru and foldable configurations.

GEN3 - The Stride Step-Thru Electric Bicycle
https://www.costco.ca/gen3---the-stride ... 19305.html

GEN3 - The Flex Hybrid Electric Bicycle
https://www.costco.ca/gen3---the-flex-h ... 19252.html

Gen3 - The Groove Foldable Fat Tire Electric Bicycle
https://www.costco.ca/gen3---the-groove ... 19254.html

Gen3 - The OutCross Fat Tire Electric Bicycle
https://www.costco.ca/gen3---the-outcro ... 19255.html
66 replies
Jan 7, 2011
817 posts
289 upvotes
If you're buying a bike to Uber or long commute to work, electric makes sense. For exercise? Why bother.
Photography.
RedFlagDeals - Brea
self promotion is not allowed on RFD
Jul 12, 2007
133 posts
158 upvotes
Abbotsford
Brea wrote: If you're buying a bike to Uber or long commute to work, electric makes sense. For exercise? Why bother.
Lol exercise with these. This would be even better in other countries where it doesn't rain for half the year or snow.
Check out my Spotify & YouTube Premium + Music guaranteed upgrades thread:
spotify-family-groups-25-per-year-also- ... 5-2463382/
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2003
1977 posts
713 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
looks ok. i would try out and see if interested.... can always return with costco.
[OP]
Feb 28, 2011
452 posts
792 upvotes
ottawa
Brea wrote: If you're buying a bike to Uber or long commute to work, electric makes sense. For exercise? Why bother.
This really depends what you mean under exercise. If you mean workout then, make sense. If just to exercise, meaning moving a bit to get away from your desk routine, spend some active calories, move this heavy bike by spinning pedals and holding your core muscles in tone then, why not…
Aug 23, 2010
880 posts
361 upvotes
Ebikes are amazingly fun. I find that most of the comments suggesting that it's not bike riding or "you're cheating" come from people who haven't tried them or aren't really bike riders anyway.
Yes, you get exercise. You just get to cover WAY more ground when you are doing it. If the bike helps someone get out and ride in any way then it has a benefit. They are awesome for exploring too as I find that I am less concerned about taking a wrong turn because I am more confident of my ability to get back on track.
I don't know anything about these particular bikes but I would always encourage more bike riding and if you haven't tried an Ebike yet definitely go give one a ride.
Jan 23, 2007
153 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
What's the major advantage of these compare with the $300+ model? I mean, it can barely break even if it's 5 times durable then the cheaper model.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2013
1219 posts
698 upvotes
Scarborough
I assume you have done your homework with that? I could tell you, no you haven't. Last year I weight 30 kilos more than today. I started many things and one of them was getting back on riding a bike and guess what, it's ASSISTED electric. I emphasize on assisted because that's what it should be used, not like the half of Scarborough who just use throttle. It's definitely a game changer and sometime you get to make more workout than you do with regular bikes, because of the trust you gain with this.
Stop making conclusions without knowing all the variables.
Last edited by Harpagon on Jun 9th, 2021 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sep 27, 2004
743 posts
178 upvotes
Scarborough
6060842 wrote: For people advancing in age or have medical conditions it may provide some piece of mind that when they go pedalling off they have a way to get home should they become exhausted. Or maybe they would just like to have some fun and aren't looking to make the olympic cycling team.
This. I always find it hilarious at all the middle aged spandex wearing cycling going on. Like relax none of you are qualifying for any race.
Dec 25, 2007
521 posts
410 upvotes
CALGARY
Rustycage wrote: Ebikes are amazingly fun. I find that most of the comments suggesting that it's not bike riding or "you're cheating" come from people who haven't tried them or aren't really bike riders anyway.
Yes, you get exercise. You just get to cover WAY more ground when you are doing it. If the bike helps someone get out and ride in any way then it has a benefit. They are awesome for exploring too as I find that I am less concerned about taking a wrong turn because I am more confident of my ability to get back on track.
I don't know anything about these particular bikes but I would always encourage more bike riding and if you haven't tried an Ebike yet definitely go give one a ride.
Pretty much this. I'm a pretty avid cyclist and have pretty close to 100000km on my legs. Got an ebike in 2019 and love it. Ebikes increased the amount I biked. I would grab 25+lb in groceries on the ebike or go to places I wouldn't with just pedals. All of my cycling friends that tried it have either bought one or are holding out for better models/batteries.

Loved it during the lockdown as well. Did a 50k ride with my girlfriend and dog that she wouldn't be able to do otherwise.
Jun 20, 2010
309 posts
124 upvotes
this is a very common question i come across, infact the other day my better half was asking the same when we were out for a stroll and saw someone.
The main thing about mixing Electric / or as some people called it "Assisted" is the fact that now a person is not scared to go too far or stretch it. In general i have this temptation to go a bit far but am scared "would i make it back" ....this enables you to stretch and take that risk. Exercising for me is always all about going a bit further and increase your capacity till you reach a threshold and this allows you to experiment.
Also for occasional bikers like me, there are phases when i loose my breath/capacity and if i have assisted one, i can keep going / njoy the breeze and recover and again start biking in few minutes. Compare that to regular bike, where i slow down or start walking with bike....takes me longer to recover and at times i give up and return home (yeah you can blame the lazy me :))

hope am making sense
[OP]
Feb 28, 2011
452 posts
792 upvotes
ottawa
s7r1k3r wrote: This. I always find it hilarious at all the middle aged spandex wearing cycling going on. Like relax none of you are qualifying for any race.
Give it a time… there is a small chance you will get there too
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
4038 posts
298 upvotes
The Groove and the Outcross look amazing. So futuristic.
Ephemera

Member since 2005.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1403 posts
1185 upvotes
VANCOUVER
So laughable and cringey at the same time.

Any other tidbits you have to share?
Sep 27, 2004
743 posts
178 upvotes
Scarborough
gena_mak wrote: Give it a time… there is a small chance you will get there too
I should buy spandex stocks.
Dec 10, 2010
321 posts
252 upvotes
neware wrote: What's the major advantage of these compare with the $300+ model? I mean, it can barely break even if it's 5 times durable then the cheaper model.
You mean this one?

costco-jetson-folding-electric-bike-384 ... v-2448715/

There are many differences..like 700c tire- less effort for motion. Actual utility (able to have installed rack) suspension. Real shimano derailers…also the accessories kit included is about $100-200 bucks alone (lock, multi tool, bottle, bottle holder, pump)…list goes on

Not to mention the seating position won’t hurt your back as easily.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2009
2293 posts
1304 upvotes
GTA
Can we talk about the bike? Anyone have this with any input?
[OP]
Feb 28, 2011
452 posts
792 upvotes
ottawa
s7r1k3r wrote: I should buy spandex stocks.
There you go, I said you’ll come around… don’t forget a spandex beanie. You will look amazing in spandex stocks and beanie on an electric bike.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2003
4097 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
Great price if the specs are real HOWEVER, their site lists all batts @ 500Wh or 48v/10.4AH and costco.ca lists the batts @ 500Wh 48v/14.5Ah.

I'm guessing costco messed up and it's only 10.4Ah which makes it a mediocre deal. HOT if you want an ebike ASAP though, there's only about ~100 stock per model, will be OOS by end of day.

Edit: The batt pack most likely uses LG M26 cells made in China which can output a lot of current, but don't last long.
[OP]
Feb 28, 2011
452 posts
792 upvotes
ottawa
HKPolice wrote: Great price if the specs are real HOWEVER, their site lists all batts @ 500Wh or 48v/10.4AH and costco.ca lists the batts @ 500Wh 48v/14.5Ah.

I'm guessing costco messed up and it's only 10.4Ah which makes it a mediocre deal. HOT if you want an ebike ASAP though, there's only about ~100 stock per model, will be OOS by end of day.

Edit: The batt pack most likely uses LG M26 cells made in China which can output a lot of current, but don't last long.

From foldable bike specs:
Battery 700Wh Behind seat tube, 48V/14.5aH (UL Certified)

Where does it say the battery is using LG M26 cells?