Hot Deals

[Costco] [New/ Warm] Indoor/Outdoor LED Coloured 16ft Light strips - Tuya Compatible / $37.99 in-store

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 5th, 2019 7:42 am
[OP]
Dec 18, 2017
622 posts
1062 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

[Costco] [New/ Warm] Indoor/Outdoor LED Coloured 16ft Light strips - Tuya Compatible / $37.99 in-store

For those of you who're looking for more 'connected' lights for your home, Costco has now begun carrying 16ft LED colour lightstrips that are compatible with the Tuya app.

I spotted this at the Richmond, BC branche earlier today. Priced at $38 in-store (online for $7 more), I think this is competes well with LiFX strips priced at BB for $99, and Hue lightstrips priced at BB for over $100. Actually, the LiFX ones aren't even rated for outdoor use, so those are no bueno for Raincouver if needing outdoor use.
Item # is 1323854

Controllable via app.
Works with Google Assistant & Alexa out of the box .
Will work with Homekit/Siri via HomeBridge (Tuya integration)
ETL listed.
Works with Tuya app, which means a few things: Can be integrated with Hass.io/Home Assistant. Can also be added to Homekit via HomeBridge.
I'm guessing this can be Tazmotized, which is great for non-cloud connectivity, but this being a lightstrip remains to be seen.
You can connect a maximum of two units to get one 32ft slightstrip to run along long railings etc.

The display at Costco (pictured below) was showing the lightstrip do some funky animations, and I feel like it can do multiple colours across the strip at onces as well, but I haven't plugged mine in yet to confirm.

This is a HOT price if it is comparable (quality and responsiveness wise) to Hue & LiFX lightstrips.

IMG_9464.jpg
IMG_8371.jpg
IMG_5398.jpg

IMG_2453.jpg
IMG_1269.jpg
IMG_1185.jpg
Images
  • IMG_5171.jpg
  • IMG_0598.jpg
Don't request PMs in your signature - Mods
27 replies
Aug 29, 2018
159 posts
69 upvotes
I got one to test, it's alright. Feels like it's worth $40, wouldn't say it's a hot deal. The animations aren't useful. Static colour only for me. Not super bright but about the same as hue light strips.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1631 posts
247 upvotes
Is the diagram showing that the remote needs to be wired into the lights and plug? So it contradicts the definition of “remote” ??
adamm
Jul 19, 2018
124 posts
124 upvotes
I saw these the other day... Does anyone know if they're iftt compatible?
Jun 9, 2019
78 posts
78 upvotes
This is 16ft or nothing, isn't that right? So how do you go about customizing this with any other length?
Jan 22, 2015
236 posts
218 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Are they compatible with being outside canada winter?
Oct 14, 2015
246 posts
162 upvotes
Halifax, NS
Can anyone comment on the consumption ? The last set Costco carried consumed a lot of juice for LED's.
Confused Face
Jan 19, 2017
466 posts
435 upvotes
Oomani wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 7:14 am
This is 16ft or nothing, isn't that right? So how do you go about customizing this with any other length?
No, they have a premarked cut lines.
Jun 9, 2019
78 posts
78 upvotes
rtookey wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 8:14 am
No, they have a premarked cut lines.
Can you connect both of the cut pieces back to the power supply? Or in other words, for four "lines" of installation less than 16ft would I need four units?
Jan 19, 2017
466 posts
435 upvotes
Oomani wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 10:24 am
Can you connect both of the cut pieces back to the power supply? Or in other words, for four "lines" of installation less than 16ft would I need four units?
I apologize, i'd have to get back to you on that. I havent done the install yet.
Jun 9, 2019
78 posts
78 upvotes
rtookey wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 10:38 am
I apologize, i'd have to get back to you on that. I havent done the install yet.
Thanks, I'd really appreciate that! This is either a great buy for my use case or totally impractical.
[OP]
Dec 18, 2017
622 posts
1062 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Oomani wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 10:24 am
There’s only one male connector coming out of the remote to power and control the strip. So I’m guessing you’ll likely need to buy a controller (I doubt if they’re sold separately) for each strip you’re trying to power anyway. But this is with the assumption that the connectors are if proprietary shape. I haven’t bothered buying any of the other lightstrips because the price was never right for me, but my guess is that this is a common issue with all of them.
Don't request PMs in your signature - Mods
Feb 15, 2013
984 posts
696 upvotes
Brampton
Bought one to try out. Not bright enough for kitchen under cabinet lighting. Under whelming actually. Will be returning.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8642 posts
1519 upvotes
Edmonton
You can connect 2 of these together to get 32 feet total... just got 2 of them I need to test out.

I'm not sure if it's the same strip as the one Costco sold a couple years ago just with an updated controller/app? The old one had an IR remote if you recall

Online as well...

Smart LED
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
1696 posts
448 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm actually in the market for these . Doing a drop crown and want to run leds in there.. Will need 4 to cover the whole room... just not sure they will be bright enough... anyone seen these in GTA??