[Costco] Nikon P900 83x optical zoom $499.97

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2020 10:03 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6120 posts
2591 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
How is this camera for someone interested in digital animation and stop motion?

Guess another way to ask is how this camera compare to Canon EOS Rebel T6? That seems to be camera of choice in schools.

Thanks!!
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
May 13, 2015
830 posts
1122 upvotes
Dartmouth, NS
georvu wrote: How is this camera for someone interested in digital animation and stop motion?

Guess another way to ask is how this camera compare to Canon EOS Rebel T6? That seems to be camera of choice in schools.

Thanks!!
nothing at all like a T6.

The P900 is a point and shoot with a crazy zoom lens.

The T6 is an old entry level DSLR.

I don't know how a camera is used in digital animation... but assuming that stop motion is kind of like studio product photography... you want a DSLR or a relatively new mirrorless with the same functions. So the T6 would be the better choice for what you're likely going to be using it for.

edit: though it would probably be worth it to get the T6i over the T6 if it's not too much more expensive. Both cameras are pretty old now, so you should be able to find them for pretty cheap.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6120 posts
2591 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
BillyBill wrote: nothing at all like a T6.

The P900 is a point and shoot with a crazy zoom lens.

The T6 is an old entry level DSLR.

I don't know how a camera is used in digital animation... but assuming that stop motion is kind of like studio product photography... you want a DSLR or a relatively new mirrorless with the same functions. So the T6 would be the better choice for what you're likely going to be using it for.

edit: though it would probably be worth it to get the T6i over the T6 if it's not too much more expensive. Both cameras are pretty old now, so you should be able to find them for pretty cheap.
Thank you for additional follow up!!
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
2118 posts
2736 upvotes
Toronto
cloak wrote: And my 512mb card was 94$
thats cheap! when sony released their 1G memory stick, $999......... i almost bought it lol
Nov 7, 2007
730 posts
446 upvotes
I got mine from Burlington. I think they had two when I called in 2 days ago.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8593 posts
3983 upvotes
Markham
BobSagget wrote: Wow they made an even more powerful optical zoom camera now?
I remember the first time I heard about this camera when I came across this video. Always though it was so cool.

I am wondering why we still need hubble telescope.
Dec 25, 2012
172 posts
94 upvotes
Vaughan, Canada
The zoom is crazy, but unless you need that zoom, you'll get better pictures in a more portable package from something like an RX100 or X100V.
[OP]
Mar 20, 2011
243 posts
764 upvotes
Markham
smartie wrote: I am wondering why we still need hubble telescope.
not sure if it was rhetorical... but atmospheric distortion, spectrograph and the rabbit hole that is the science of optics.