Ottawa

[Costco] Northrock Bikes

199 replies
Deal Addict
May 2, 2008
2444 posts
1153 upvotes
Mississauga
as someone completely new to bikes (other than the fact I've had some as a child and never anything of this level) would the SR1 road bike be a good starter bike for the price? I have a $50 costco coupon that could drop the price from $599 to $550... or should I look at kijiji?

TIA to the RFD bike pros
Vinh
If you're going to hate, Get off RFD!
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2010
4001 posts
1701 upvotes
vinnie1990 wrote: as someone completely new to bikes (other than the fact I've had some as a child and never anything of this level) would the SR1 road bike be a good starter bike for the price? I have a $50 costco coupon that could drop the price from $599 to $550... or should I look at kijiji?

TIA to the RFD bike pros
Not a bike expert, but the SR1 is well reviewed IIRC from the last threads.

I think even on Kijiji these days (covid pricing..), you'd be hard pressed to find a better bike for less than the SR1 would cost you.
Oct 6, 2020
188 posts
302 upvotes
If Wave 2 is anything close to Wave 1...these will sell out ASAP and be VERY difficult to find at any Costco's

Edit: By "these" I mean mainly the SR1 and the CTM. Those sold like hot cakes last winter/spring at Costco.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2017
1565 posts
662 upvotes
Toronto
Contemplating between XC29, XCW, SR1 and CTM.

Can anyone help me decide? will mostly bike on trails and the neighborhood. I am 5'7 1/2
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2006
1541 posts
3961 upvotes
I agree with above, get a bike now while you can.
Dec 14, 2017
99 posts
328 upvotes
CTM seems to be the only one for 6'2". Does anyone have any review for this bike?
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2010
4001 posts
1701 upvotes
DimsumDeals wrote: Contemplating between XC29, XCW, SR1 and CTM.

Can anyone help me decide? will mostly bike on trails and the neighborhood. I am 5'7 1/2
If you're doing trails then definitely not the SR1 lol CTM tires may not work for trails either..someone else can chime in

I'd go with the XCW or XC29 (may be too tall for you).

edit: clarified.
Dec 6, 2017
958 posts
498 upvotes
Manitoba

Get the XC29.

NO Northrock XCF = Wallet safe.
Last edited by TehRFDAnomaly on Jan 13th, 2021 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
one more deal and I'm out * involuntary tick*.... :twisted:
Feb 21, 2019
167 posts
92 upvotes
When on sale, how low could SR1 price can be at? I am wondering if I should wait for the sale?
Feb 13, 2008
386 posts
185 upvotes
Hamilton
vinnie1990 wrote: as someone completely new to bikes (other than the fact I've had some as a child and never anything of this level) would the SR1 road bike be a good starter bike for the price? I have a $50 costco coupon that could drop the price from $599 to $550... or should I look at kijiji?
Good rule of thumb is avoid anything that is 7 speed. 7 speed is an indicator that design decisions have been made for cheapest, worst components with no upgrade path.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2010
4001 posts
1701 upvotes
Ojnimo wrote: When on sale, how low could SR1 price can be at? I am wondering if I should wait for the sale?
I don't think they ever made it to "sale" last year..did they?
Apr 23, 2016
470 posts
511 upvotes
Kelowna

TIA to the RFD bike pros
This bike will most certainly require a proper tune up in order to be safely ridden. You may want to factor that in to your cost unless you're willing to do the work yourself.

For $600 taxes in (your price) you won't find a better deal on a new bike with these components. Depending on where you live and how patient you are you might be able to find a used bike with much better components/frame for around 1k.

For a starter bike this is a great option
Jul 20, 2011
266 posts
253 upvotes
NORTH YORK

if it's paved bike trails, CTM should be fine.
Aug 2, 2014
432 posts
423 upvotes
Vancity
SR1 still only medium sized frame.....so sad.
Jan 19, 2007
611 posts
217 upvotes
Toronto
Do folks know how prices between cash and carry at the warehouse and the website differ? Trying to figure out if I should at least check to see if they have it there before ordering from website
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
2660 posts
957 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
This bike used to drop down to $399 by the end of summer a few years ago but I missed out. I tried to get one the next year but they only dropped down to $499 that year and thus missed out waiting on the sidelines again. Now they don't even drop at all and usually sell out. I also think this year has the worst "look" in terms of colours, very plain and black. Hope everything else is the same as I finally made the purchase some five years later and to think of the amount of bike rides I've missed out on...! Deal addict in the worst way Astonished Face
[OP]
Jul 23, 2011
559 posts
1525 upvotes
Ottawa
no8t4 wrote: Do folks know how prices between cash and carry at the warehouse and the website differ? Trying to figure out if I should at least check to see if they have it there before ordering from website
A lot of these bikes you won’t find at the warehouse.

If a warehouse is fortunate enough to carry a certain bike you’re looking for, they won’t have it in stock long in today’s environment.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

gpktom