Hot Deals

[Costco] Northrock Fat Tire Bike - $499.99 (various locations, YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2020 10:18 pm
Mar 6, 2005
517 posts
160 upvotes
derekleetk wrote: Anyone saw it from Markham, Scarborough or Downsview?
Sold out quickly most of GTA area.
Saw 1 in box and 1 assemble at Markham East before close on 10/14.

I took the one in box and can confirm there are some very good upgrades even tho the bike look more or less the same as privous years at a glance. The upgraded parts are worth $100+
I have both XC00 (Black) from 2019 and XCF (New name)

Some upgrades includes and not limited to....
10 Speed Cassette vs 7
Deore Derailleur vs Altus
Deore Shifter feels much smoother vs Altus Shifter
Front Sprocket (Seems smaller size)
Drilled Rims for Lighter Weight
Different Chain (Upgrade?)
Handle Bar (Upgrade?)

If I have time later, I will assemble it and compare it closely and provide details.
Feb 1, 2012
487 posts
157 upvotes
Montreal
Wow lucky you. Living near a trail.

I would suggest renting out.. Look for brands like Rocky mountain, Norco, And Trek for rent and see how it goes for you.

Neocodex wrote: Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but these are for riding in snow.

I live next to a massive bike trail in Ottawa and in winter everyone switches out their suspension bikes for fat bikes.
Deal Addict
May 29, 2011
1226 posts
383 upvotes
KANATA
KT2312 wrote: Wow lucky you. Living near a trail.

I would suggest renting out.. Look for brands like Rocky mountain, Norco, And Trek for rent and see how it goes for you.
I live spitting distance from the south march highlands trail. hundreds of bikers everyday. Years ago I spent $3500 on a trek bike, and promptly destroyed my spine. Havent been able to bike in years. One of my great disappointments.
derpin
Oct 22, 2002
729 posts
3 upvotes
Any sighting of any left at the GTA locations? Went to the Richmond Hill North location and saw nothing over there
"Man proposes, God disposes"
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
2016 posts
1616 upvotes
GVRD
Vancouver downtown had about 5 on the floor.

Excellent rubber (very grippy) tires.
Feb 1, 2012
487 posts
157 upvotes
Montreal
Neocodex wrote: I live spitting distance from the south march highlands trail. hundreds of bikers everyday. Years ago I spent $3500 on a trek bike, and promptly destroyed my spine. Havent been able to bike in years. One of my great disappointments.
Ouch. What happened?

Was it a gravel / hybrid?
Jul 5, 2019
7 posts
20 upvotes
ok ok... so I have the older gen 7 speed and for the money its great, but definately for $100 bucks more to get a 10 speed Deore is totally worth it.

Anyonoe know though... what is the easiest way to get gears on this fat bike? Should I look to get a 1x NX drivetrain or Deore 10 speed drive train with a 11-42 cassette? I have a spare 2x 9 Setup (full XT) that I'd love to get installed but do anyone know how to mount the front der?
Dec 25, 2006
504 posts
355 upvotes
Winnipeg
PaulC86298 wrote: ok ok... so I have the older gen 7 speed and for the money its great, but definately for $100 bucks more to get a 10 speed Deore is totally worth it.

Anyonoe know though... what is the easiest way to get gears on this fat bike? Should I look to get a 1x NX drivetrain or Deore 10 speed drive train with a 11-42 cassette? I have a spare 2x 9 Setup (full XT) that I'd love to get installed but do anyone know how to mount the front der?
I think for 2x you'll have to find an adapter to mount to the frame as the width of the bottom bracket is usually quite alot larger on a fat bike versus a "regular" bike. I think Wolftooth components and Borealis make them...
People will believe what they want to believe whether fact or fiction.
'tis most frustrating when they aren't open to see and/or learn which is which.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4143 posts
1492 upvotes
GTA
PaulC86298 wrote: ok ok... so I have the older gen 7 speed and for the money its great, but definately for $100 bucks more to get a 10 speed Deore is totally worth it.

Your bike doesn't use a cassette, it has a freewheel, the amount of freewheel upgrades is slim to none. I managed to get a 7speed freewheel with a taller first gear but that's it, a 10speed freewheel from what i've seen simply doesn't exist. You would need to swap the wheel out to one that accepts a cassette, then get a 10speed derailleur and shifter... not cheap. Going with a 2x in the front is doable and cheaper.
Jul 5, 2019
7 posts
20 upvotes
shabby wrote: Your bike doesn't use a cassette, it has a freewheel, the amount of freewheel upgrades is slim to none. I managed to get a 7speed freewheel with a taller first gear but that's it, a 10speed freewheel from what i've seen simply doesn't exist. You would need to swap the wheel out to one that accepts a cassette, then get a 10speed derailleur and shifter... not cheap. Going with a 2x in the front is doable and cheaper.
wow were you ever correct... this thing being a freewheel has prety much screwed you over of anything other than an 8 speed drivetrain and acrappy drivetrain unless you retrofit some half decent components.

there are a couple things you need to do if you want FULL range for reasonable trail riding. IMO if you live in the mountains and you need range, you CANNOT go 1x even with the smallest 28 chain ring as the best range you can get on a 8 speed freewheel is 11-34

This is the approach to replacing the drivetrain and I urge you buy decent retro-drivetrain as opposed to spending cash on the best new Shimano which would be Acera and maybe Alivio

1. Direct Mount front Derailler - not just any will work as you need something for the cable housing to pull - I used a SRAM X5 but any direct mount works
2. Direct Mount adapter to accomodate a 100MM bottom bracket - this spaces out the derailler for the wider BB - Problem solvers makes one, and there is one called Origin. These are getting very SCARES as almost all new Fat bikes are 1x with proper cassettes (i.e. SRAM Eagle)
3. 2/3x crank and a NEW bottom bracket - either use square taper crank, then you need a 100mm x 177mm to pull the chain rings in line with the rear freewheel OR convert to a 2x cup based bottom bracket (just screws on) and a special Fat Bike 100mm BB spindle crank - I had an old Alivio square taper crank and I ordered a 100mm x 177mm to keep it cheaper than putting on a whole bottom bracket/crankset conversion to cup based

For the rear you can do a megadrive freewheel for a 7 speed if you want to keep the Altus stuff

However if you want something more robust for trail riding: upgrade to a 13-32 (or 34) sunrace freewheel 8 speed (8 speed is the MOST you can put on)
Need a 8 speed rear der - can use a 9 speed as long as you have a 8 speed shifer - I used an 9 Speed XT
Need a 8 speed shifter - and I have an old 8 speed XT (from 01')

I suggest mechanical brakes but better ones like Avid BB5 or BB7. I'm going to start first by putting on a larger front rotor, and then decide... Mech will be much less hasstle in freezing temps
Mar 19, 2007
258 posts
20 upvotes
Ottawa
I had the previous 7sp version and going with the 8 speed 34 tooth sunrace freewheel and 8 speed shifters was under $100 and totally made the bike rideable in the snow and on steep stuff in the dry. The crank is another weakpoint but I sold the bike before changing that out. Seems like this new version has the gearing sorted but not the crank...
May 5, 2008
17 posts
4 upvotes
These should be in stock (3-4 per store) in Alberta today or the next couple of days.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1090 posts
837 upvotes
Ottawa
karlb wrote: awful. Heavy and the fat tires have a lot of resistance on pavement. It’s only 7 speed (no front derailleur) so you don’t have enough gears between big uphills and downhills and only comes in one size.

Buy a used bike (prices are better as the season is done) or check your local bike shop (LBS). Many now have inventory again.
Also, commuting on a fat bike sucks.

Get a used touring, cyclocross, mountain, or hybrid bike. Install a set of fenders. Then wrestle on a set of heavy but bomb proof Schwalbe Marathon Winters and go.

I only fell once last year, when I hit a really bad ice patch, and I had so much winter gear acting as padding that I didn't even feel it when I landed in the snowbank. My daily pre-pandemic commute was ~22km round trip.
Apr 13, 2005
467 posts
148 upvotes
Back in stock today but price went up to 530

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)