Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Northrock Road Bike SCR1 $570/XC29 $400/XC27 $380/XCW $370/CL5 $350/CTM $370/GS24 $260/XJ24 260$

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 4th, 2019 11:18 am
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15536 posts
7017 upvotes
Ottawa
RiasatAbir wrote: If you are looking for hybrid or road bike, look elsewhere. These are heavier than usual bikes.
The road bike is pretty comparable to an entry level Trek or Giant. Even the Trek Domane AL2 is 21.87 lbs and the SCR1 doesn't weigh any more than that.

The guy on the other thread got his down to 19 with a few components swapped, and weighed his around 22 lbs.
Anybody who doubts the value of the bike should read this post
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
1286 posts
852 upvotes
Montreal
amitabh9 wrote: i noticed a lot of post for the SCR1... i think i might have missed why its so popular of the costco options...

i am originally thinking about purchasing the XC29... but saw way more SCR1 post... so know curious...

for me, i will ride maybe once/twice a week in the summer... just to get outside and enjoy the fresh air...

thanx
Considering the components that the SCR1 has and comparing to similarly equipped name-brand road bikes, it is an excellent value.
Nov 13, 2008
166 posts
57 upvotes
toronto
thanx...

how much better is the SCR1 than the XC29? worth the extra $120+?
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
2442 posts
609 upvotes
Toronto, ON
amitabh9 wrote: thanx...

how much better is the SCR1 than the XC29? worth the extra $120+?
Better or worse is the wrong question; they are completely different types of riding style..... and lifestyle.

If this position comes natural to you.. or if you prefer to wear a gimp suit with a ball gag in your mouth.... then go for it.

Nov 13, 2008
166 posts
57 upvotes
toronto
HA if you suggest riding the XC29 relates to wearer a gimp suit... well to each her/his own... :)

I am 5' 11", normal build. In terms of lifestyle, I want to ride a bike during the warmer months (waiting for it still) with my kids. I grew up on a mountain bike, riding the mean streets of the suburbs (sarcasm). I survived without all the fancy things. And today, I am not likely to buy bike pants, shirts, gloves or shoes, like the picture shows.

Yes, there are strong opinions on crappy tire, walmart, etc. I get that and firmly believe a poorly assembled bike (or anything for that matter) sucks. BUT, spending $1k on a bike (or anything) that is used (a few times a year and collects dust over the remainder) is a waste of money IMHO. I am likely to reassemble the bike, watch a few videos, learn. That is important to me.

I want to spend smart (and within my budget). I believe that ~$400 to $600 is reasonable to spend. I am not asking for a debate "vs. local" I support local in other ways.

I like the idea of riding on light trails (no heavy off-road riding) grass in local park. I don't see myself venturing to official/professional mountain bike trails, but I am assuming that I could change my tires to a light trail tire if/when needed if i went with the SCR1.

okay lifestyle and thoughts out now.

Is the SCR1 a better buy?
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2003
1160 posts
831 upvotes
Calgary
amitabh9 wrote: I like the idea of riding on light trails (no heavy off-road riding) grass in local park. I don't see myself venturing to official/professional mountain bike trails, but I am assuming that I could change my tires to a light trail tire if/when needed if i went with the SCR1.

okay lifestyle and thoughts out now.

Is the SCR1 a better buy?
I'd be very surprised if you could fit a gravel or cyclocross tire onto the SCR1. Since your main purpose is leisure rides with your kids, aerodynamics and speed are probably less of a priority. Something like a Trek FX2 would be a better bet (I'd recommend against having a suspension fork).
Nov 13, 2008
166 posts
57 upvotes
toronto
is not the Trek 2 more expensive than the SCR1?

is not the SCR1 the bike with better parts than the Trek 2?

i think XC29 is off the table...
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2003
1160 posts
831 upvotes
Calgary
amitabh9 wrote: is not the Trek 2 more expensive than the SCR1?
is not the SCR1 the bike with better parts than the Trek 2?
i think XC29 is off the table...
Put it this way... is a diamond encrusted screwdriver better for turning a nut than a wrench?
The SCR1 might be a better value, but not if it's not fit for the purpose. I don't know exactly what you mean by "light trails", but the SCR1 is a pavement bike. Some hard bumps or loose gravel on the trail could give you a very bad day.

The XC29 or CTM is probably a better bike for your use. I'm suggesting an alternative because if you don't need the suspension you're better off without the extra weight/maintenance.
Feb 15, 2010
667 posts
612 upvotes
Surrey
Would the CTM be a better bike/value over something like a Giant Roam 2?
Apr 16, 2018
2 posts
4 upvotes
First post! Saw this thread so thought I'll join in. I just brought a Northrock XC29 today from costco for $400 CAD.
Why did I bought the bike? For the price i't unbeatable from what i can see (and i have been looking a lot recently). I am a well seasoned mountain biker who enjoys riding and building high quality bikes, however, I recently moved from the UK to Canada and had to sell my road bike and my treasured flagship self build xc mountain bike leaving me without 2 wheels to explore my new home. I wanted a bike that i can explore the local path's roads and trails before investing in a bike to suit the surrounding trails that wont fall apart and is easy to fix.

This bike was on paper the best deal out there for the money for a low end but capable mountain bike. Build quality is shockingly bad....I MEAN BAD!! But, if your like me and are able to disassemble and reassemble the bike (or learn by watching a few YouTube video's) that you will be getting a good deal. The Fork is cheap and cassette is very old freewheel type (on first inspection) but this is expected at this price point. But the breaks are decent, the gears are solid and wont break easily and the frame is fantastic.

I will be taking it apart tomorrow evening and reassembling it before taking it out for a test ride on road and trails. I will let you know the results.
Nov 28, 2014
22 posts
20 upvotes
Delta, BC
Does anyone know how the CTM compares to a 2016 Cannondale Quick Cx 4?
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
2442 posts
609 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Guys, you're asking if a $370 bike is equivalent or better than a $780 and $800 bike. I know bike shops have markup, but be realistic.

The roam 2 and cx 4 have hydraulic brakes, forks with lockout and fancier cable routing that goes through the frame etc.

A better comparison is the trek DS 1 with an MSRP of $630 but has fancy cable routing.

EDIT: My bad, you said 2016 cx 4. It's almost comparable but the cx4 has lockout on the suspension and better cable routing. What's the price?
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1022 posts
272 upvotes
Montreal
I'm still thinking of getting the SCR but will my 5'7 frame be too small?

I'm going to be using it to go to and from work (25 mins each way) and something I can get my exercise on during my time off
HOW CAN I BE GOING BROKE WHEN I'M SAVING SO MUCH MONEY!?
May 25, 2016
54 posts
3 upvotes
I picked up the XC29, does anybody know what type of chain guard I require for it as it does not come with one, thanks.
Oct 26, 2014
218 posts
125 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
I'm really thinking about picking up an XC29 for commutes to work and just riding for fun.

Funny how everyone complains about the assembly.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
2442 posts
609 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I'm rethinking my choice on the xc29, I've never really been off road / don't even know any place you can go offroad in the gta.

Was at a local bike shop the other day and saw one of these bad boys, love that ferrari red. You don't get much for your money though. Just waiting for the weather to warm up so I can really try out the xc29 and make an informed decision.

Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2007
1443 posts
385 upvotes
Bedford
Was going to pick up a Giant Liv Rove 2 at the LBS. Nice bike, but was $749 plus takes. Cross shopped with the Northrock XCW. The Giant has better components ( Shimano 9 speed vs 7 speed ), lock out shock and probably better tires. Frame looks the same on the both bikes, colors are even similar. The sizing sheet is way off on the XCW. It says 5 ft 4 to 6 ft 1. I would say its more of a Giant XS to Small, fitting 5'1 to 5' 8 riders. At half the price , we went with the XCW. My wife loves it!
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
1895 posts
1239 upvotes
The SCR1 ended up being too small for me. I ended up buying a 2016 Norco IGH for $650 with 2 years service and a few parts thrown in at a LBS. Has hydraulic disk brakes and also integrated gears. Feels like a far more solid bike as well.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1419 posts
471 upvotes
Toronto
How does the Northrock XCW compare to the Marin Kentfield CS1 bike??
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2007
1443 posts
385 upvotes
Bedford
warpdrive wrote: All brand name bike store bikes come in smaller sizes that would fit a 5 4” person.

Trek would recommend a 50cm frame for their road bikes https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/road ... bike_size/
And you would fit on a Small if you bought a Giant https://www.giant-bicycles.com/_upload_ ... _chart.pdf

The department store bikes usually only come in one or two sizes, so short people have to spend more to get a bike that fits.
The womens hybrid will fit you fine.