[Costco] Northrock SR1 700C Road Bike 499.99$

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2019 1:39 pm
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
17157 posts
2728 upvotes
Toronto
I'm 6' with a 32" inseam and the bike fits me well. I find the reach a bit long, but I'm chalking that up to me being used to riding a mountain bike with an upright riding position instead of a road bike where you have to lean over and keep your head down. The bike is light and well-constructed, but as Strider said the stock brakes and tires aren't the best. I'm not fast enough yet for those to be a problem, but I have found some replacements on sale and have them ready.

The stock tires are 23mm, so you'll probably want wider ones. The fork is very narrow, so 25mm may be about as wide as you can go.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Apr 8, 2010
133 posts
30 upvotes
I am 5"7, I actually find the bike fits okay, the reach wasn't long enough to bother me. My seat is all the way down to the lowest possible position, and I didn't have to move the seat forward. But, I am using the bike leisurely, haven't tried it out on long distance ride (not sure if I ever will..haha).. I guess for shorter people like me, the bike remains an option that you can consider.. I am really surprised about the built quality and how light the bike is , given it is only $499.
Apr 8, 2010
133 posts
30 upvotes
I just brought the bike to a reputable shop for tuning, the mechanic told me that the shifter and chain combo is incorrect, likely to be a manufacturing combo, he told me the shifter is for 9 speed, but the chain is designed for 8 (or something like that, I don't really remember).. they have to change the chain and railing (not sure if I hear correcntly)? does anyone have similar problem? ( I will go back to the bike shop tomorrow to get a copy of what exactly the problem is.. sorry, I am newbie to the bike theme)
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
2235 posts
603 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Has anyone seen any in Ottawa? Not a regular Costco shopper.
Jan 1, 2013
145 posts
21 upvotes
GTA
Anyone seen this in GTA? I am guess my chances are very slim. If anyone is returning them, please advise
Feb 7, 2016
265 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Dusante wrote:
Jun 14th, 2019 6:09 pm
I just bought one rode for 3 days then the kenda tire started showing a weak spot and the tire bulged. Called northrock customer support and less than 24 hours later I have a new tire.

did you have to send them pictures of the bulge?
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1634 posts
1123 upvotes
Saudi Arabia
tubbychubby99 wrote:
Jul 18th, 2019 11:51 am
I just brought the bike to a reputable shop for tuning, the mechanic told me that the shifter and chain combo is incorrect, likely to be a manufacturing combo, he told me the shifter is for 9 speed, but the chain is designed for 8 (or something like that, I don't really remember).. they have to change the chain and railing (not sure if I hear correcntly)? does anyone have similar problem? ( I will go back to the bike shop tomorrow to get a copy of what exactly the problem is.. sorry, I am newbie to the bike theme)
Post a close-up picture of the bike chain, preferably clear enough to make out the lettering in the chain links.
Apr 8, 2010
133 posts
30 upvotes
iflyplanes wrote:
Jul 19th, 2019 2:28 pm
Post a close-up picture of the bike chain, preferably clear enough to make out the lettering in the chain links.
Went back to the shop to pick up the bike, the bike shop told me that the bike came with 9 speed chain and cassette, but with 8 speed shifters, they have to replace the chain and cassette with 8 speed ones. On the chain, it says "x9" and KMC. so the "x9" means it is a 9 speed chain?
Aug 26, 2018
18 posts
7 upvotes
tubbychubby99 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2019 6:40 pm
Went back to the shop to pick up the bike, the bike shop told me that the bike came with 9 speed chain and cassette, but with 8 speed shifters, they have to replace the chain and cassette with 8 speed ones. On the chain, it says "x9" and KMC. so the "x9" means it is a 9 speed chain?
unless the shifters say claris, that guy is flat out lying to you. sora shifters unless they are very old are now 9 speed
Apr 8, 2010
133 posts
30 upvotes
I called the shop once again, they told me that they took apart the shifter and find out it is only 8 speed.. but all the other components of the bike are 9 speed.. they told me that they think I have a defective shifter. I am going to call Northrock on Monday to see what they can do, given Costco no longer has the bike for sale.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2004
1040 posts
117 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
tubbychubby99 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2019 6:58 pm
I called the shop once again, they told me that they took apart the shifter and find out it is only 8 speed.. but all the other components of the bike are 9 speed.. they told me that they think I have a defective shifter. I am going to call Northrock on Monday to see what they can do, given Costco no longer has the bike for sale.
What's the label of the shifter? If the label is SORA, I find it hard to believe it's 8 speed.... If it says Claris, then yes you got screwed by NorthRock.

Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1634 posts
1123 upvotes
Saudi Arabia
tubbychubby99 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2019 6:58 pm
They are taking you for a fool. The shifter on the Northrock SR1s is a Sora 9 speed. Don't pay a single dime to these clowns. It may be defective but they shouldn't be telling you that it's an 8 speed.
Apr 8, 2010
133 posts
30 upvotes
yeah it says Sora..Thanks guys, I can't believe a reputable store like that one will do this to me... they have at least 40+ bikes waiting there be tuned, and some of them are those high end ones... maybe I just got unlucky.. will go talk to them today

I tried riding my bike yesterday, the gears are grinding bad, especially when I change to the large gear in the front.. maybe that's because they mistakenly change the cassette and chain to the 8 speed..
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2006
7763 posts
2658 upvotes
Washington, DC
Any price drops on this yet below $499?
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln