• Apr 10th, 2020 5:18 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2004
1059 posts
175 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH

[Costco] Northrock SR1 SORA road bike model 2020 is here

The 2020 Northrock SR1 road bike is here! Same price as last year, and it generated lot of interests in the last few years.

The price will go down at around June/July, but that's half of the riding season.
Thread Summary
Some points from discussion about this bike in past threads:

Size: This will be a dealbreaker for a lot of people. This bike generally fits people from about 5'8" to 6'1", but height alone isn't a good determining factor - proportion of legs to torso matters greatly. Reach can be tweaked to some extent with a longer or shorter stem.

Groupset: Shimano's Sora R3000 is a terrific entry level groupset and benefits greatly from "trickle down" from higher models with features like under bar tape cable routing. That said, you don't get the full groupset - just the shifters and derailleurs. Elsewhere, like the cranks and brakes, they've cheaped out.

Value: This is a terrific value at the discounted $400-$500 level. The frame is manufactured by a big name (Giant), the bike comes with a carbon fork (lighter and absorbs vibrations), and the Sora shifters/derailleurs are a step above Shimano's entry-level 8 speed Claris groupset. A Specialized brand bike with comparable componentry (Allez Sport) retails for $1349.

First things you'll want to upgrade/change: tires (the included 23mm Kenda tires give a terrible ride), brakes, cassette (if you're in a hilly area, 12-25 is pretty tall gearing for a recreational rider). All those things are pretty cheap. If you have more money to spend, look to upgrade the crankset and the wheels.

Assembly & Servicing: these bikes arrive at Costco almost fully assembled, but you'll still want to check over the installation of the fork/handlebars, tightness of nuts and bolts, etc. If you're not comfortable with these things, I'd suggest finding an independent bike mechanic to look it over. You'll also want to watch some Youtube videos and learn how to adjust the brakes and index gears... even if these came perfect from the factory (which they don't), they will require adjustment over time (bike shops generally give free adjustments for a year after purchase).

Teardown/parts description (2017 model) by a bike mechanic:
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/costco-n ... #p27759098
223 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
12988 posts
4093 upvotes
Ottawa
Yup the perennial RFD favorite.... Cheap roadbikes for RFD'ers!!!
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Nov 23, 2012
392 posts
216 upvotes
Sherbrooke, Qc
pcboy wrote: The 2020 Northrock SR1 road bike is here! Same price as last year, and it generated lot of interests in the last few years.

The price will go down at around June/July, but that's half of the riding season.
When I was looking for a roadbike last year I couldn't believe they only had one size...
Mar 13, 2007
21 posts
10 upvotes
Calgary
I got last year's model. I'm using it this month even. It's a perfect for an inexpensive city bike!

I had to deal with northrock customer service over a defective part and they were really helpful. I just bought the new part and they paid the cost.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
2761 posts
1214 upvotes
Toronto
Any alternative for someone who is 6’4”?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6012 posts
2640 upvotes
Aurora
I have the 2019 SR1, bought for $399 during a sale. A very decent budget road bike, IMO. Many use it for commuting. I use it for light fitness riding of up to 50km rides. The ride is a bit harsh, but then you'd probably be looking at a full carbon fibre frame for $1k+. I'm 5'8" and it fits fine. I replaced the stock pedals with SPD-SL clipless.
Oct 14, 2008
366 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
Awesome, wish there was a small frame option though. No good for me at 5'4". Disappointed But Relieved Face
Dec 10, 2019
17 posts
5 upvotes
I saw this one in Vaudreuil QC at 399$, I guess last year model right ?
Images
  • 20200202_123042.jpg
  • 20200202_123048.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6012 posts
2640 upvotes
Aurora
iletaitunefois wrote: I saw this one in Vaudreuil QC at 399$, I guess last year model right ?
The SR1 is a road bike. The one in your picture is not a road bike. I believe it's the XC00 Fat Tire Bike.
Deal Addict
May 20, 2004
3097 posts
730 upvotes
Calgary
I applaud Costco for making quality bikes available for so cheap. These are good enough that newcomers wont be put off by the experience.

Although i would advise taking one of these to a bike shop for a proper tune ($50-100) so budget for that. Department store bikes are usually just slapped together.
Nov 24, 2017
32 posts
14 upvotes
I am new to road bikes and confused on the sizing. I am 5'11, would the frame for this be too small for me?
Aug 30, 2008
878 posts
156 upvotes
ON
Vascilli wrote: Awesome, wish there was a small frame option though. No good for me at 5'4". Disappointed But Relieved Face
try some shops around the GTA too..lots of options out there! my bike is "xs" size and it was $550 with free life time adjustments, was great to be able to try like 5 bikes my size and pick the one that felt just right.
Dec 26, 2010
922 posts
644 upvotes
Signed in to give +1. Bought in 2017. Did a century ride in the summer Perfectly capable bike. Lost about 50 pounds since I started riding.
Mar 29, 2015
50 posts
28 upvotes
Brossard, QC
I tried this in store. Im 6ft1 and it felt far too small. I can get proper leg extension if i extend the seat to maximum but then posture and reach become an issue.

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 3 guests)

se@n