Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Northrock SR1 SORA road bike model 2020 is here $599.99

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2022 10:58 am
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2003
1269 posts
14 upvotes
London
tnetisg wrote: Has anyone returned a bike to Costco? I'm wondering if a lightly used Northrock bike could be returned after a couple years?
Would you be okay with selling something to someone and them returning it to you a couple years later?
"Live simply, so that others may simply live."
Nov 20, 2018
98 posts
86 upvotes
Looking to buy one if anyone has a bike they aren't using!
Jan 5, 2013
43 posts
10 upvotes
Montreal
tnetisg wrote: Has anyone returned a bike to Costco? I'm wondering if a lightly used Northrock bike could be returned after a couple years?
... is this a joke question or are you seriously asking this
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12347 posts
5403 upvotes
...stupid. Are people really returning bikes after 1 year of use? come on. I would say a couple of months max and only if the bike has issues
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2001
3416 posts
1251 upvotes
Toronto
ppl will take pictures of you at the return line and call the cops on you (jk... but hope it's true). because what you're doing is sooooo wrong.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
blexann wrote: ...stupid. Are people really returning bikes after 1 year of use? come on. I would say a couple of months max and only if the bike has issues
Yup... same people that returns a TV after the Superbowl and a Christmas tree after Dec.
Jan 23, 2008
216 posts
129 upvotes
777STI777 wrote: Back online. Back ordered, shipping early May

Looks like it’s available and even when you Click buy it warns you its back ordered but when you try and add it to cart it says it’s unavailable to order. :(
Feb 6, 2019
50 posts
22 upvotes
Does anybody have any feedback on the CTM and XCW models of Northrock? Looking for more of a hybrid style bike as I’ll be using it mainly in the city but also sometimes off pavement (not in mountain terrain, more like gravel roads). Doesn’t look like the are online right now but they have them in store for $399. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Jul 30, 2010
24 posts
74 upvotes
Kitchener
Krunatrot wrote: I second that. The assembly is not hard, if you know just a little bit about bikes. But if you're hoping to avoid a tune-up because the bike is new, you're in bad luck. They come mostly assembled in the box, but the assembly in the factory seems to have been done in haste. I'm curious to know whether this is the case for any bike out of a box; the bike shop is expected to finish it up; or whether the SR1 is assembled by less careful staff.
A couple of years ago, I bought a BMC road bike from a bike shop on eBay. While 'assembly' wasn't very difficult, it was definitely nowhere near optimally tuned. I doubt that you can tune a bike, put it (slightly dismantled in a box) and expect it to be 'optimal' when re-assembled at some unknown time later though.
Jul 30, 2010
24 posts
74 upvotes
Kitchener
Krunatrot wrote: For heaven's sake, save yourself the grief and don't buy a BSO. https://www.southcoastbikes.co.uk/No_BSO.asp

CCM bikes remove all joy from riding bicycles. It will just sit there unused (and either ignored or hated). Buy a used or a new bike, but one that gives you a bit of joy, and you'll really use it.

If you buy from Sportchek, you're still buying from Canadian Tire, but many of the bikes there are actual bikes, not BSOs.
My son doesn't take care of his stuff well, and is growing fast, so I didn't want to spend a lot on a bike for him. I picked him up a decent looking bike at Sportchek, probably in the $300 range. I didn't pay any attention to the fact that they didn't use a derailleur hanger on the bike. So after a wipe-out one day, it's not shifting or staying in gear well. Why? Bent frame! Argh!
Jul 30, 2010
24 posts
74 upvotes
Kitchener
wiffle wrote: Did it myself, was actually quite fun haha. Been meaning to learn how to maintain a bike for a little while - plus, in quarantine.. not much else to do in my spare time.
Just did a bunch of reading online (Youtube tutorials, and I find the repair guides on Parktools.com (https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help) are very comprehensive and quite easy to follow). Ended up replacing both inner tubes, tuning both front and rear brakes, front and rear derailleurs (holy what a difference a properly tuned gearset makes! shifts like butter now).
Learning to fix/tune your own bikes are great skills to pick up. Much of the work is quite simple, but there's some stuff (due to being complicated or requiring expensive tools) is best left to the pros.

Here's the best piece of advice that a bike mechanic once gave me: If you ever are working on a bike, and you have to stop and put it away in an unsafe state (e.g. brake(s) not working properly), then loosen the stem, turn the handlebars 45-degrees off-center, and re-tighten the stem. That way if you (or a family member) ever jumps on the bike to take it for a ride (before it's all fixed up), the handlebars being way-off-center will be a cue that this bike is not ready to ride.
Jul 30, 2010
24 posts
74 upvotes
Kitchener
wiffle wrote: Nice! Just did a full tune up of my SR1 recently as well, plus added some clipless pedals and fresh clean. Feel like I'm on a whole new bike!

What repair stand are you using?
Clipless pedals, while not for everybody, are such a great change. When you hit that first hill and you can get so much power on the upstroke that you never had before - it's wonderful.

For those who would like a clipless-like experience without less risk (and far less cost), strapless toe-clips are a decent option.
Jul 30, 2010
24 posts
74 upvotes
Kitchener
M1K3Z0R wrote: You'll "feel the road" though, every single little bump, at least on the stick tires (which are only good for dry pavement). It is a road bike, so the riding position can feel awkward if you are not accustomed to it or if the sizing is inappropriate for your height/body proportions.
Good points. Feeling the road is usually the biggest strike people have against aluminum bikes. Steel feels much nicer, but it has the additional weight. Carbon fiber is supposed to give the best road feel, but I've never ridden one nor do I intend to ever buy a carbon bike.

Road bikes are generally not the best as commuting bikes (vs. say a hybrid). Another reason a road bike might not be for some people is that when you're riding with your hands on the horizontal part of the handlebars (near the middle/stem), you have no brake levers available. The most common hand position is on the brake hoods.

A reason that this particular bike might not work for everyone is the gearing. It has a 12-25 cassette (with a 50/34 crank). If you're out of shape, that top 25-gear will leave you struggling on big hills.

All that being said, if you want to get out and do longs (road) rides, hit some fun speeds, and get in great shape, then this bike could be a great choice.
Nov 21, 2010
980 posts
591 upvotes
Canada
Can we return you to Costco?
Aug 31, 2007
313 posts
116 upvotes
Calgary
thenoob117 wrote: ... is this a joke question or are you seriously asking this
To clarify the bike hasn't been used at all. I did notice it has some cosmetic damage after I took it home. And it's having shifter problems. I've tried adjusting it and researched how to fix it, but it doesn't seem to help shift smoothly. But to sort out the shifting problems means I need to take it on a few rides.

Maybe an exchange would be a better idea of Costco allows it?
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Wpgleafs wrote: Does anybody have any feedback on the CTM and XCW models of Northrock? Looking for more of a hybrid style bike as I’ll be using it mainly in the city but also sometimes off pavement (not in mountain terrain, more like gravel roads). Doesn’t look like the are online right now but they have them in store for $399. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Bought a WCW on clearance last summer, great bike, forks were installed backwards though, probably same person who puts together grills.

From mtbr forum:
I just put together a Northrock for a friend after seeing it at my local Costo I recommended him to get to. The verdict: it's a solid all around mtb with solid parts. I would suffice it to say it's a Giant without the Giant branding.
Jul 31, 2010
38 posts
9 upvotes
Whitby
Besides the SR1, what would be the next logical choice around 800-1000, new to road bikes thx

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)