Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Northrock SR1 SORA road bike model 2020 is here $599.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 5th, 2020 4:02 pm
Jan 13, 2018
90 posts
56 upvotes
Is there a way to change the tires to something more mountain bike suitable. or would that need a full rim change. Thinking of buying this or waiting for an xc27 but I'm not sure if they are bringing those back
Nov 23, 2007
368 posts
47 upvotes
Not sure if it's allowed but if anyone in GTA is looking I have a brand new never ridden sr1 from last year I'm looking to get rid of. I figure if I haven't taken it out in a year I doubt I will.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2004
1063 posts
191 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
I wonder if costco is no longer carry Northrock bikes, all Northrock bikes are no longer on costco.ca
Jan 14, 2018
40 posts
16 upvotes
Windsor, Ontario
777STI777 wrote: Back online, just placed an order Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Update on this on (SR1 online order)...

April 29th: Placed Order. Costco.ca message at the time of order said "back-ordered, expected to ship May 4 - May 15th".
May 13th: Order status changed to processed and shipping label created
May18th: Picked up by UPS
May 19th: Received email stating delivery tomorrow (May 20th)
Apr 10, 2018
8 posts
1 upvote
Does anyone has seen Nortrock bikes at Costco around GTA recently? I already went to Costco Dixie/Dundas, Overlea Blvd, Warden Avenue... no bikes there.
Last edited by LuizGustavoF17977 on May 21st, 2020 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 5, 2020
9 posts
2 upvotes
LuizGustavoF17977 wrote: Does anyone has seen Nortrock bikes at Costco around GTA recently? I went to Costco Dixie/Dundas yesterday, no bikes there.
Last week I saw Richmond Hill costco has boys and girls Northrocks less than $300 each, but no adult size though.
Oct 2, 2004
25 posts
7 upvotes
Hi All,
Been on RFD since 2004 but mostly lurk rather than post.

I live in Ottawa. I bought the SR1, delivered about 2 weeks ago. It's an amazing bike, used it for less than 60km. I have done a full service on it, calibrated the brakes, front and rear derailleurs and gears, checked the H and L screw stops etc. So it is much better condition than the bike I received badly calibrated in the box. I even upgraded the wheels to continental ultrasport foldable wheels size 28 which _just_ fit in the front forks with tight clearance which completely changed the ride. I have also ordered upgraded 105 brakes from Ali express which have yet to arrive I loved this bike so much which I guess I will have to put on kijiji.

Except.

My brother has just given me his spare race bike w ultegra set he bought last year at a price I can't refuse, as he has a newborn baby and wont be riding as much this year. So before I put the kickstand back on and stock wheels etc and return to costco I am writing to ask if anyone in Ottawa is looking for the SR1 that they can buy from me at cost ([price corrected from original posting error] to $599 plus tax is $678 all in taxes and shipping). I can add in the new wheels at cost (I purchased from merlin cycles Continental Ultra Sport II Folding Road Tire I can show the receipt = $37) , and put the kickstand back on if you wish. All the papers etc were meticulously kept by me, it even still has the costco price sticker on the top tube.

Essentially I was going to return this bike but realized that I wanted to pay it forward and offer it to the RFD community before (at the same price I would get from costco return and possibly with the upgraded wheels you wish).

Send me a PM if interested, I will update this post if it is taken. If not takers I will return to costco.
Thanks.
Last edited by Nails on May 21st, 2020 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2002
4767 posts
1307 upvotes
Nails wrote: Hi All,
Been on RFD since 2004 but mostly lurk rather than post.

I live in Ottawa. I bought the SR1, delivered about 2 weeks ago. It's an amazing bike, used it for less than 60km. I have done a full service on it, calibrated the brakes, front and rear derailleurs and gears, checked the H and L screw stops etc. So it is much better condition than the bike I received badly calibrated in the box. I even upgraded the wheels to continental ultrasport foldable wheels size 28 which _just_ fit in the front forks with tight clearance which completely changed the ride. I have also ordered upgraded 105 brakes from Ali express which have yet to arrive I loved this bike so much which I guess I will have to put on kijiji.

Except.

My brother has just given me his spare race bike w ultegra set he bought last year at a price I can't refuse, as he has a newborn baby and wont be riding as much this year. So before I put the kickstand back on and stock wheels etc and return to costco I am writing to ask if anyone in Ottawa is looking for the SR1 that they can buy from me at cost ($486 all in taxes and shipping). I can add in the new wheels at cost (I purchased from merlin cycles Continental Ultra Sport II Folding Road Tire I can show the receipt = $37) , and put the kickstand back on if you wish. All the papers etc were meticulously kept by me, it even still has the costco price sticker on the top tube.

Essentially I was going to return this bike but realized that I wanted to pay it forward and offer it to the RFD community before (at the same price I would get from costco return and possibly with the upgraded wheels you wish).

Send me a PM if interested, I will update this post if it is taken. If not takers I will return to costco.
Thanks.
Great deal for a setup bike, would be interested if local, hopefully someone else jumps on this...
Oct 2, 2004
25 posts
7 upvotes
Oh Darn!
I put the price of my wifes bike I ordered at the same time on the same order (the XCW that was 486 all in). I will correct the price to 599 plus tax $678 in the post. Thanks for picking that up!

Thats what happens when you try to post while a 4 year old is tugging on your arm to go riding!
Dec 23, 2019
14 posts
5 upvotes
Nails wrote: I even upgraded the wheels to continental ultrasport foldable wheels size 28 which _just_ fit in the front forks with tight clearance which completely changed the ride.
The stock tires are 700x23C.

https://ibb.co/WF7dmHk

I am guessing that we can get away with 700x25C, but is it universally understood or sanctioned that one can use a larger tire so long as it fits?

Does going from 700x23C to 700x28C, or generally to a wider tire automatically mean a more comfortable bike? I find the SR1 much more comfortable than my (Specialized) MTB with much thicker tires, so there must be other design parameters that matter. Perhaps the frame "gives" during the ride somewhat, which also contributes to some level of shock absorption.

I can see that 700x28C, and perhaps even 700x25C, would introduce a problem. The tire would no longer be removable by just flicking the brake quick release (a nice feature in the installed brakes, even though they are _not_ from the Sora set). The brake cable will almost surely need to be removed/reinstalled, because the 700x23C slips out with the smallest of clearance with the quick release. Are there other issues that those who go for either 700x25C or 700x28C should watch out for?

Wait.. I've assumed you meant 700x28C; was it indeed "C"?

**Edit:** Asking a tire sizing question is like opening a can of worms, as you can see from https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html at Sheldon Brown's very informative site.

Still, since we're here talking about a very specific bike frame, knowing how easy it is to replace the stock tires with, say, 700x25C would be nice.
Jun 21, 2015
80 posts
8 upvotes
Montreal
Back in stock. Purchased Estimated Delivery June 10th. First road bike ever, first bike in years. Any advice on first things to get done is greatly appreciated.
Jan 14, 2018
40 posts
16 upvotes
Windsor, Ontario
Doesn't seem to be on back order anymore, No message saying back ordered.

I am still waiting on mine. UPS is super delayed given the circumstances. Original estimated delivery was May 20th. Took UPS 5 days to pick up shipment and now it's been stuck in "departure scan" for a week.
Dec 26, 2009
29 posts
9 upvotes
You might be receiving yours soon for it looks like some of the models are back in stock online save for the CTM.

SR1: https://www.costco.ca/northrock-sr1-roa ... 17844.html
CL5: https://www.costco.ca/northrock-cl5-com ... 17754.html
XCW: https://www.costco.ca/northrock-xcw-mou ... 17755.html
XC29: https://www.costco.ca/northrock-xc29-mo ... 17768.html

The CL5 is a great comfort 'cruiser' which my wife loves. The seating position is very upright so it may be easier on your back and is best for leisure type rides. I'm not sure which year model I have for the rear gearset is Tourney rather than Atlus and the colour appears similar to this years (silver grey with blue lettering).

Can anybody confirm the tire width size for the SR1? I thought it was 700 x 25 C (based on the Northrock site for the SCR1: http://www.northrockbikes.com/road-scr1.php) but it appears that they might be 23 C instead - another difference I've found is the Tiagra shifters in front (Costco uses Sora back and front) and a 3 ring front derailleur (compared to a 2 ring on the Costco)

Been eyeing the CTM myself but it's still not in stock. It looks very similar to the XCW Crossover with the only difference being the tires it appears - anybody is familiar with other differences between these two crossover/hybrid models?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)