Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Northrock SR1 SORA road bike model 2020 is here $599.99

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2022 10:58 am
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1095 posts
558 upvotes
Montreal
knayam wrote: Looks like it is back ordered now. Missed it.
Well you'll get it in 2 weeks, it's not that bad. We're in february anyways, it's not the season yet.
Jan 19, 2013
332 posts
313 upvotes
SickBeast wrote: https://www.sportchek.ca/product/gt-van ... 34597.html

Buy it in the largest size. It’s a great bike.
which bike is it ? sucks that its been more than 2 years , the affiliate link issue with sportscheck has not been fixed yet .. the sportscheck link does not work in rfd .. I have a GT Flatbar Comp , riding it for 3 yrs now ( I use it indoors in my smart trainer in winter ) .. I kind of like that bike .. this is the bike I use =>
https://www.99bikes.com.au/gt-grade-fb- ... -bike-2016

This costco bike looks much better components than the bike I have ( no plans for me to upgrade though , am happy with my bike ) ..
Jan 4, 2004
524 posts
107 upvotes
Surrey
Which bike is a good option for me just to ride with my young kids around light trails... Nothing crazy. Just around parks and occasional real trails
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4682 posts
3973 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
419justblaz wrote: I don't get the hype about this bike - you're better off buying used off Kijiji for the same price:

1) the aluminum frame is so-so
2) Shimano Sora is just bad
3) its got a kickstand (fun fact, good bikes don't have kickstands)
4) questionable build quality
If you are 100% familiar with all things cycling, along with all the mechanical elements and what to look for, then sure you can hunt for a deal on Kijiji. Otherwise you may get ripped off by paying way too much for something that "looks nice".

This bike is leaps and bounds over the crap you'll find at Canadian Tire.

I hate kickstands with a passion, but it's probably cheaper to install them for display purposes than it is to build racks for every Costco store.

This is a great entry level road bike at a great price. (Just as long as it fits you!)
Jun 8, 2019
549 posts
630 upvotes
Why aren't the gears covered? wouldn't your jeans or shoe laces get caught there?
I own a service with Public Mobile and with Fido.
Jul 23, 2015
897 posts
650 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
AstonM wrote: Any alternative for someone who is 6’4”?
A 58-61cm frame from any brand? I'm 6'4 on a 58cm Norco Threshold and pretty comfortable.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4682 posts
3973 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
cloak wrote: Possibly a theft deterrent :) (still buy a good lock)
Trust me, it's not a theft deterrent.
And if you are going to park your bike anywhere outside, buy two styles of good locks.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2019
2313 posts
3013 upvotes
Frame size: 53.5 cm (medium). Fits most riders 1.7 m to 1.8 m (5 ft.7 in. to 6 ft. 1 in.)

Shimano Sora set
-------------------
Rogers mobile + internet
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1274 posts
1454 upvotes
Surrey
lollick25 wrote: its a great bike overall. even at 599. at least within the GTA i have yet to find a bike on kijiji of comparable value. the aluminium frame is hydroformed and butted, the fork is full carbon and sora if tuned properly shifts quite well. Only complaint i have with it is the seat wasnt particularly comfortable for me and that the front fork is rather narrow so you probably wont be able to squeeze 28mm tires on it. the gearing is kinda tall too for beginners but for me its fine as the areas i ride in are flat. If you want to upgrade it you can drop it on a wheel upgrade and the odds are it will still be cheaper than buying something like a giant contend or a comparable bike with a similar groupset
With any bike...Even ones in the thousands, there will be points of discomforts. The saddle is a big one. If you are looking for one look at ergon. Expensive but usually the saddles, you buy and use it till it breaks. My downhill rig needed a couple of changes. I had to shorten the stem for a better reach and eventually changed out the rear derailleur for something to my liking. I've used a lot from low to high end (SRAM and Shimano), they all do the same drivetrain wise. It depends on how quickly you want the gear shift to happen and how quietly. It gets expensive quick but like people have mentioned, get it tuned and it will provide you with years of service. I've wrecked an Alivio rear mech on my trail bike a few years ago and replaced it with an XT one. But that's because It went onto some big jumps and drops and the repeated hits against the chain stay eventually done it in....though it still shifts!!

I say, grab a bike that's to your budget and your riding style. We can all debate on what's a great bike and what isn't but at the end of the day, it's you in that saddle having fun!
Nov 30, 2013
512 posts
634 upvotes
NB
I RFD wrote: So the local bike shop cant live off fixing your bent rims and selling reasonably priced bikes ? They already gouge you on many of the accessories which I begrudgingly buy because I may need it asap.
I am lucky to have a couple great bike shops here in my city where they provide great service and good prices. For an example if you don't mind a 2019 bike you can get brand name bike starting from $300 and they all have free tuneups for as long as you own the bike. For $100 more than this one you could get a specialized Allez or a Spech Rockhopper for $499. I drive truck for a living and travel with a bicycle. Not once have I been to a place where I have NOT found a good LBS. You just need to be able to talk to them and don't assume you will be ripped off.
I AM NOT A BOOMER, but I wish i was.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3259 posts
3285 upvotes
I'm for sure buying a real bike this year (only ever owned Crappy Tire specials, and that was like 15 years ago) but looking more at a hybrid. I plan to commute with it (10km one direction) but I also want to be able to do some light trails and such with it so this Northrock isn't likely the best option which is a shame as it's a great price.

I'm like 6ft too so normal M bikes don't usually cut it. Usually...also liking the more upright positioning (ya I'm large) so my options are pretty small lol. If anyone has some good suggestions please let me know! Honestly really looking forward to getting into biking again
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Jan 14, 2013
332 posts
330 upvotes
Ontario
LoANeal wrote: I'm for sure buying a real bike this year (only ever owned Crappy Tire specials, and that was like 15 years ago) but looking more at a hybrid. I plan to commute with it (10km one direction) but I also want to be able to do some light trails and such with it so this Northrock isn't likely the best option which is a shame as it's a great price.

I'm like 6ft too so normal M bikes don't usually cut it. Usually...also liking the more upright positioning (ya I'm large) so my options are pretty small lol. If anyone has some good suggestions please let me know! Honestly really looking forward to getting into biking again
I was in the same boat as you as far as what I wanted the bike for and ended up going with a Norco Indie 2 (2018). I got mine for $700 all in from a local bike shop. I wouldn't step down to the Indie 3 as the tires aren't as good and the hydraulic disc brakes are a big upgrade over the mechanical. If you wanted a more aggressive tire you can always swap them out.

https://www.norco.com/bikes/2020/city/u ... m/indie-2/
Last edited by FleshToast on Feb 3rd, 2020 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7368 posts
4672 upvotes
Between Countries
roedoe wrote: Why aren't the gears covered? wouldn't your jeans or shoe laces get caught there?
Tuck in your shoelaces. Roll up your jeans. An extra piece of metal for such a mundane thing adds unneeded weight. Same reasoning to remove the useless kickstand.

Even if you spend $10k on a road bike, it wont have these things.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
8474 posts
4467 upvotes
Canuckland
gti303 wrote: Which bike is a good option for me just to ride with my young kids around light trails... Nothing crazy. Just around parks and occasional real trails
Trek Fx2 Giant talon or one of the MTB bikes Costco has on sale
From time to time
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3259 posts
3285 upvotes
leishmann wrote: I was in the same boat as you as far as what I wanted the bike for and ended up going with a Norco Indie 2 (2018). I got mine for $700 all in from a local bike shop. I wouldn't step down to the Indie 3 as the tires aren't as good and the hydraulic disc brakes are a big upgrade over the mechanical. If you wanted a more aggressive tire you can always swap them out.

https://www.norco.com/bikes/2020/city/u ... m/indie-2/
I greatly appreciate the information, that looks roughly at what I would want in all honesty. Sadly my local distributor doesn't seem to carry em but Norco would ship the bike to em for me so that's a plus. Just gotta find a deal now...
Jan 14, 2013
332 posts
330 upvotes
Ontario
LoANeal wrote: I greatly appreciate the information, that looks roughly at what I would want in all honesty. Sadly my local distributor doesn't seem to carry em but Norco would ship the bike to em for me so that's a plus. Just gotta find a deal now...
Good luck! I'm just about 6 ft 2 and the large fits me fine FYI, always nice to ride one before purchasing though.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2008
2692 posts
1742 upvotes
Home
GangStarr wrote: You seem pretty angry. Just saying support those who will help when you’re stuck. Local bike shops have week back logs for spring tune ups.

Equally I said CAA plus is basically a free bike friendly taxi if you get in a critical repair.

If you want to live in a world where there is no local rim trueing I guess that’s fine. Just replace the rim e every time.

Imagine a small business that is passionate about what they do and then a profit. Rfd disgust I guess
i
Not really. I'm just questioning the amount of markup which is appropriate. A $14 bike chain on amazon can be $47 at the LBS. Over 300% markup seems a bit much. Perhaps thats what's required to keep the lights on.YMMV of course.
Fizz Mobile $ 4.80 USA CAN 45 GB
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2007
1567 posts
1534 upvotes
anindyabecs wrote: which bike is it ? sucks that its been more than 2 years , the affiliate link issue with sportscheck has not been fixed yet .. the sportscheck link does not work in rfd .. I have a GT Flatbar Comp , riding it for 3 yrs now ( I use it indoors in my smart trainer in winter ) .. I kind of like that bike .. this is the bike I use =>
https://www.99bikes.com.au/gt-grade-fb- ... -bike-2016

This costco bike looks much better components than the bike I have ( no plans for me to upgrade though , am happy with my bike ) ..
You can get links if you hit the quote button. that one was sportchek.ca/product/gt-vantara-comp-mens-gunmetal-700c-urban-bike-332134597.html
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1448 posts
1792 upvotes
cloak wrote: Possibly a theft deterrent :) (still buy a good lock)

If I needed a commuter, I'd definitely be considering this.
So I use a trek Madone full carbon road bike for my long rides but I currently do my commute on as cheap GT mountain bike with rack/travel bag.

My commute may increase from 15Km to 30Km in the near future and I was considering switching over to my road bike.

Do you think this would be a better alternative? I'm not to hot about putting a bike rack and heavyish bike bag on my road bike.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3259 posts
3285 upvotes
leishmann wrote: Good luck! I'm just about 6 ft 2 and the large fits me fine FYI, always nice to ride one before purchasing though.
I'm 6ft so that also bodes well for me! I was looking at their size chart on the site and the L and XL both fit 6ft so am happy to hear i can likely just get a L and be good.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)