Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Northrock SR1 is on stock agian, $799.99 to 819.22

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2022 9:05 pm
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
6905 posts
5821 upvotes
jakemtl wrote: At over 900 (tx in) I would buy used on Marketplace with better specs
Yeah, used is almost always the way to go no doubt. You just need to make sure you know what you're getting - not something everybody with minimal/no cycling experience is comfortable with. Also, during COVID people started wanting msrp for their old 2017 bike, which I hope has come back to reality since lol

for getting your feet wet in cycling, given the risk-free* purchase from costco, I will not change my opinion that the SR1 is among the best choice for a budget-conscience beginner.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
5330 posts
2167 upvotes
Kitchener
Does the sr1 still comes with a cassette with way too few teeth? Climbing is super tough with mine from a few years ago. I'm not sure how much it'd cost to swap it out. New cassette+chain?
This space is intentionally left blank.
Apr 30, 2020
322 posts
347 upvotes
Vancouver
the components are a bit cheap on the triban but it's a more thoughtfully put together bike than the sr1 imo.
doesn't have weird gearing like a 12-25 cassette, and more importantly it's not a one size fits most bike.. it has actual sizing.
if you ever ride up hills then the triban is going to be far easier with the wide range cassette.
also i think it's a better looking bike. the sr1 looks kinda from 2010, the triban has a bit more of a more modern frame shape.
sora is a better groupset but imo that's the only thing the sr1 has going for it.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2009
1752 posts
1341 upvotes
Quebec City
I still slap on my past self to not purchase it at 299$
Aug 5, 2006
67 posts
103 upvotes
Thundercloud wrote: Does the sr1 still comes with a cassette with way too few teeth? Climbing is super tough with mine from a few years ago. I'm not sure how much it'd cost to swap it out. New cassette+chain?
12-25T on a 9-speed cassette is a bit limiting.

Depending on which Sora rear derailleur (short (SS) or medium (GS) cage), you could put a cassette with a larger big sprocket.
Looks like it's the short cage because the medium is rated for a smallest large cog of 28T (vs 25T). The short cage has a maximum sprocket size of 32T with a total difference of 37T. So with the 50/34 chainrings and max rear sprocket of 32T, you could squeeze in an 11-32T cassette. You might find there are some gaps in the gearing. The GS derailleur has a max cog size of 34T and bigger total capacity so 11-34 would work, with even bigger gaps.

A new chain might be needed if there isn't enough slack for the extra 7 teeth, but you might have worn out the old one already after logging thousands of kilometres....

Depending on whether there are cost-effective sources of components, another route would be a new Sora triple crankset (maybe bottom bracket too), front derailleur, and left-hand shift lever. That would give a total of 27 speeds and potentially wider range with fewer gaps.
Of course, triples on road bikes are no longer de rigueur and there may be awkward shifts or duplicated ratios that lessen the overall effectiveness. But such setups were common before the explosion (implosion?) of rear sprocket density.

There might be some latitude to mix & match components and slightly push some of the stated limits, but it would definitely be a variable-mileage caveat emptor situation.

For the price and hassle, it would be worth considering a modern 2x 11 setup like the Decathlon Triban RC 520 with Shimano 105 components and disc brakes (at $1500)!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2007
6837 posts
3054 upvotes
Caledon
Damn what's going on with this price ? Used to be so cheap during my script run days !
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
6905 posts
5821 upvotes
Thundercloud wrote: Does the sr1 still comes with a cassette with way too few teeth? Climbing is super tough with mine from a few years ago. I'm not sure how much it'd cost to swap it out. New cassette+chain?
$60-80 if you wanted a new casette and chain. Confirm which rear derailleur your bike has and you can get a casette that fits that (they typically have teeth min/max). I forget if the sr1 ships with medium or long rear derailleur.

You can make do with a 12-25 in the front 34 chainring, unless you're doing cat 4+ climbs regularly.
Nov 5, 2018
61 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
najibs wrote: Not the great value is once was at $599. That’s a huge increase.
Price will go down once recession hits the market.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
1537 posts
1123 upvotes
Montreal
I thought everyone bought this when it went on sale anyways. Or was that pre covid? I remember there would be huge threads and lots of people who it didn't fit asking/wishing to see if it fit them.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
3458 posts
1603 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
hvc wrote: Nothing is wrong with it - it's subpar to Shimano, though. It's also not Sora, or a road bike, which was my whole post lol

The Sora R3000 shifters on the SR1 are $350 alone. Everybody knocks the SR1, and yes it has it's flaws: wheels, bottom bracket, cranks, tires, calipers, pads, are all borderline trash. But, the frame, fork, and groupset are all solid.

If you're looking for an entry level road bike, and don't want to spend $1,500+, then the SR1 is one of the best budget road bikes you'll find. Is it a great bike? No. But, you'd be hard pressed to find a sora bike for under $1,000 - if at all.
Man are the wheels and tires ever trash -- but once I upgraded them, it's a pretty decent little bike. Key word: little (if you're over 5'11 look elsewhere)
Last edited by djdestroyer on Oct 3rd, 2022 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 7, 2018
33 posts
10 upvotes
Nooo this has me worried about a price increase for the Callaway Edge set Disappointed But Relieved Face
Feb 21, 2011
135 posts
171 upvotes
Canada
For those who are saying that $800 is too expensive for a road bike, for comparison Decathlon's Triban RC500 increased during the pandemic from $800 to $940, then again to $1,200.

This is Shimano Sora-equipped, value brand road bike similar to the Northrock RC1. Arguably, it is a better bike than the Northrock, but the effects about price increases all across the board, both on the high end and the low end, are just another reality we need to live with.
May 11, 2014
591 posts
362 upvotes
BC
Bike is a stunner.

You just want to look at it.
Apr 3, 2020
169 posts
213 upvotes
Ottawa
Hard pass, at this price point and not being able to choose frames size is freezing cold deal. Decathlon has better bikes at this price point.

My road bikes 105 groupset and Ultregra both carbon frames
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
6905 posts
5821 upvotes
TomohisaY56005 wrote: Hard pass, at this price point and not being able to choose frames size is freezing cold deal. Decathlon has better bikes at this price point.

My road bikes 105 groupset and Ultregra both carbon frames
lol this guy came into an SR1 thread to flex his ultegra groupset and carbon ride.

Show me a better road bike at Decathalon for $800. If you're going to link the RC120 (the only bike they have under $800) - just hop on your carbon frame and peace out.
Dec 23, 2018
98 posts
202 upvotes
The SR1 and all these Northrock bikes are great for someone like me , i don't want to buy a bicycle from walmart that will annoy me when riding, i also dont want to spend $1000 to get a decent bicycle and i'm just casually riding bicycles so i lack the experience to choose a good used bicycle.
i recently got the CTM and im happy with it, its definitely much better than my wife's walmart bicycle and now we're looking into buying the CL5 for her.
Oct 24, 2019
947 posts
1767 upvotes
Edmonton
hvc wrote: You still won't find a better road bike for under $800.

But, yeah the bike was an easier sell at $600. At $800, you're better off extending your budget and getting a better entry level bike, if you can. You'll still be out ~$1,500, though.
100% agree.

When I was first looking for a bike right before Covid a TREK FX 2 disc was $700, by the time I ordered it in 2021 it was $799. At the time it got delivered the Price was $849 (Feb 2022). Today it is now $947.99.
The SR1 has a higher price increase but we are over all in the same spot with this bike being the best entry level option still.
Oct 24, 2019
947 posts
1767 upvotes
Edmonton
Brea wrote: Buying a bike before Winter? Smartest idea ever.
Bike technology changes very slowly. Buying in the off season is a great idea only if you want to save money and time.
Already bought my Son a Northrock bike for next year. This way I will not need to fight the other people for what is in stock and I'm sure the price will increase from the $289 it was at the time of purchase.
Jan 4, 2016
384 posts
510 upvotes
Calgary
Brea wrote: Buying a bike before Winter? Smartest idea ever.
Actually...that is a smart idea you dummy lol.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)