• Feb 7th, 2022 8:09 pm
[OP]
Feb 28, 2011
703 posts
1663 upvotes
ottawa

[Costco] Northrock XC27 Mountain Bike $499.99

Costco online Northrock XC27 Mountain Bike $499.99
Grab it while there is stock. Decent entry level bike, I got myself XC29 and must say, it’s not bad for the money. It must be taken for a tune up to qualified mechanic, the difference is day and night before and after.

https://www.costco.ca/northrock-xc27-69 ... 35900.html
Images
  • B861634E-E977-49EE-8C00-1B200C290AA8.png
32 replies
Feb 12, 2009
16 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
gena_mak wrote: It must be taken for a tune up to qualified mechanic, the difference is day and night before and after.
What differences do you notice?
Dec 12, 2013
284 posts
148 upvotes
Mississauga
I actually managed to get one before OOS
Dec 12, 2013
284 posts
148 upvotes
Mississauga
I actually managed to get one before OOS
Apr 19, 2011
77 posts
63 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Anyone can recommend a good 24" bike that's currently available for similar price point?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2004
4888 posts
953 upvotes
The 29" is better for most people. Unless you are shorter, like 5'5" and under, then the 27 is the better choice.

bougatsa wrote: What differences do you notice?
The main difference would be shifting would be more crisp and the brakes would be aligned properly.

Also good to make sure all the bolts are tightened down.
"I live my life a quarter-mile at a time, for those 10 seconds or less... i'm free."

11 Never Summer Heritage, 08 Rome Targa
08 Nitro Eero Ettala 155, 07 Rome 390
07 Capita Outdoor Living 154
Cervelo Soloist Carbon Ultegra
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
4208 posts
1802 upvotes
Kingston, ON
I wish they had these in a Small frame size option. I'm 5'-7" and I find the standover height too tall, unless you prefer to get "friendly" with the frame.

SIzing chart: https://www.northrockbikes.com/xc27

Frame Size: 17.5" / 44.45 cm
A - Standover Height: 30.50" / 76.77 cm
B - Effective Top Tube: 21.3" / 59.5 cm
C - Seat Tube Length: 16.92" / 43 cm
D - Head Tube Length: 5.02" / 11.8 cm
E - Chain Stay Length: 17.32" / 44 cm
F - Reach: 16.18" / 41.12 cm
G - Wheel Size: 27.5" x 2.2 / 69.85 x 5.58 cm
Rider Height Guide (in): Fits most riders 5 ft 7 in to 6 ft 1 in
Rider Height Guide (cm): 170 - 180 cm

Sizing chart is for reference only. To determine the correct fit, check for clearance over the bicycle. Stand over the bicycle with one foot firmly planted on each side.

Different Riding = Different Fit:
Paved Surfaces, a minimum standover heigh clearance of two inches (5 cm) is recommended.

Unpaved Surfaces, ligt gravel, a minimum of three inches (7.5 cm) of standover height clearance is recommended.

Off-road, four inches (10cm) or more for standover height clearance is recommended.
Last edited by Kewals on Jan 25th, 2022 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 12, 2019
761 posts
581 upvotes
Nice OP,

32.8lb sounds a bit heavy, cuz I was told they make lightweight bikes.

Does it differ a lot from like their road bikes or hybrid ones?

Also I am 5’10”, I should fit according to their specs. Is it not true to fit? Why recommending under 5’5”?

Also I mostly ride my bike bike trail and pavements in neighborhood. And my back hurts a lot in the morning after biking. I stopped biking due to lower back pain. I used cheap non tune up one speed bike left by my roommate.

Would ride nice tune up bike like this help me with back pain?
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
21163 posts
4140 upvotes
YUL
Weren't these $399 last year? Inflation kicking in...
Mar 9, 2021
30 posts
15 upvotes
GTA
CanadaCool wrote: Looks like just 2 left in stock
Seems they put a cap of 2 maximun that each can order.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20087 posts
8009 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
bougatsa wrote: What differences do you notice?
Apart from placebo nothing that begins to approach the cost. For context, I just assembled it myself using common sense and the instructions and it turned out with everything feeling and working fine and I'm no elite bike nerd with vast expertise in the matter.

I got the 2019 model for $350 (delivered) and it's a good bike, though. Not sure how much changed since then.
Last edited by BinaryJay on Jan 25th, 2022 9:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
Feb 12, 2011
326 posts
507 upvotes
Ottawa
CanadaCool wrote: Looks like just 2 left in stock
There's a limit of 2 per order.
najibs wrote: Weren't these $399 last year? Inflation kicking in...
$479 a year ago, cheaper in store, but harder to find. Price increases are due to bike demand being much higher and supply chain issues. Probably going to be a mess trying to get bikes again this year, so now's the best time to buy.
[OP]
Feb 28, 2011
703 posts
1663 upvotes
ottawa
xxxibgdrgn wrote: Nice OP,

32.8lb sounds a bit heavy, cuz I was told they make lightweight bikes.

Does it differ a lot from like their road bikes or hybrid ones?

Also I am 5’10”, I should fit according to their specs. Is it not true to fit? Why recommending under 5’5”?

Also I mostly ride my bike bike trail and pavements in neighborhood. And my back hurts a lot in the morning after biking. I stopped biking due to lower back pain. I used cheap non tune up one speed bike left by my roommate.

Would ride nice tune up bike like this help me with back pain?
The size should be fine for you. As for your back, you should not ride in upright position. Adjust your handlebars bit lower so, you are more horizontal. When I ride my road bike with sore back, I don’t feel a thing as, there is no pressure on the lower back.
Last edited by gena_mak on Jan 25th, 2022 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
4399 posts
1924 upvotes
Edmonton
najibs wrote: Weren't these $399 last year? Inflation kicking in...
At close to $500, I think these things start to lose their value. Im sure we paid $$349 or maybe $299 when we bought ours a while back.

Its an ok bike, but for $500 I'd rather get something used and upgrade it instead. Course last year, people were trying to flip these for $600 or more due to shortages.
Dec 12, 2019
761 posts
581 upvotes
gena_mak wrote: The size should be fine for you. As for your back, you should not ride in upright position. Adjust your handlebars bit lower so, you are more horizontal. When I ride my road bike with sore back, I don’t feel a thing as, there is no pressure on the lower back.
It's a bit contradictory situation for me, I know riding road bike with inclining position helps but I enjoy riding upright because it feels safer and I don't do speedy riding that much.
Can you adjust MTB like inclining position like road bikes?
Dec 12, 2019
761 posts
581 upvotes
U4IA wrote: At close to $500, I think these things start to lose their value. Im sure we paid $$349 or maybe $299 when we bought ours a while back.

Its an ok bike, but for $500 I'd rather get something used and upgrade it instead. Course last year, people were trying to flip these for $600 or more due to shortages.
I saw that they updated this model in 2021, so better specs? not just inflation
[OP]
Feb 28, 2011
703 posts
1663 upvotes
ottawa
xxxibgdrgn wrote: It's a bit contradictory situation for me, I know riding road bike with inclining position helps but I enjoy riding upright because it feels safer and I don't do speedy riding that much.
Can you adjust MTB like inclining position like road bikes?
Riding upright is more natural position and feels like “better“, “more comfortable “… but, reality is it’s not always the case. Like in your case, your back is against it.
Riding in more horizontal position will distribute your weight equally between your shoulders and rear end, eliminating great deal of pressure from lower back. That’s why road cyclists can ride longer time and longer distance than mountain bike riders.
And, yes, you can adjust this bike. However, it’s not going to be as comfortable as a road bike or a hybrid bike, even if you do not opt for custom fit. So, for riding around your neighborhood most likely will be fine but, to commute longer distance may not be a good idea. Of course, depending how close you can get this bike size to your body height and type. As always knowing height does not guarantee proper and comfortable fit. You may have shorter stand over height or, shorter arms reach and, as a consequence you will not be able to achieve proper weight distribution…
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
4399 posts
1924 upvotes
Edmonton
xxxibgdrgn wrote: I saw that they updated this model in 2021, so better specs? not just inflation
Im not sure, anything in specific? Its still using Altus and tektro brakes and ours is 3 years old and the same. (although ours is in storage right now so I cant be 100% sure)

Those Altus shifters are all in one, so nothing really special. Same for that fork - very basic.

I mean, things are going up in price generally so it is what it is...