• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2020 4:11 pm
Tags:
Banned
May 15, 2016
7020 posts
2490 upvotes

Costco nuts going rancid very quickly?

I buy costco cashews and within 2 weeks they smell pretty bad. I used to buy the Dan D Pack and they last much longer. Does anyone have any idea why the Costco nuts are spoiling? They seem to be better quality right out of the container..
25 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1800 posts
625 upvotes
Vancouver
vivibaby wrote: I buy costco cashews and within 2 weeks they smell pretty bad. I used to buy the Dan D Pack and they last much longer. Does anyone have any idea why the Costco nuts are spoiling? They seem to be better quality right out of the container..
What do they smell like exactly?
Banned
May 15, 2016
7020 posts
2490 upvotes
I don't know how to describe it. Bad. I tried it but it tasted ok.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
3167 posts
1209 upvotes
Montreal
You store them out of sunlight?
Client at: Tangerine, VoIP.ms, Virgin Mobile
Banned
May 15, 2016
7020 posts
2490 upvotes
marc_t wrote: You store them out of sunlight?
Yes, in the pantry. Around 20 degrees. I've never had this problem with my other nuts before.
Dec 21, 2019
36 posts
23 upvotes
When I buy nuts in bulk (>100 gm), i store them in the freezer. They keep much longer, i have some macademia nuts more than a yr old which i add to my cookies. They are still ok, no smell.

I bought a bag of pecans from costco early jan, they are still very fresh.

Can'r say the same for the pecans from bulk barn I bought in Dec. it was not as fresh to start and it smelled even after storing in freezer. Thank goodness, it was only a pound.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
3167 posts
1209 upvotes
Montreal
no idea vivibaby..

maybe you got a bad batch? if it happens with another container, just return it to costco.
Client at: Tangerine, VoIP.ms, Virgin Mobile
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2699 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto
Probably a bad batch. Just go and exchange it, problem solved.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13375 posts
8306 upvotes
Brampton
Costco had a bad batch of nuts lately (well nut related products).

If you noticed their Almond butter disappeared for a while.
Some of their other jar of nuts also disappeared for a while.
Dec 22, 2016
387 posts
354 upvotes
SW Ontario
Does it say to refrigerate? I have a bag of nuts ( not from costco) and it says to store after opening.
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
I buy them from Costco all the time. Best thing to do is to vacuum seal portions, enough for a day or two. Keeps for much longer that way. The constant opening and reopening of the original bag introduces air and that can affect the freshness. I think the OP's case might just be a bad batch because I've never had them bad from the get-go.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
1250 posts
192 upvotes
Bought them for years and never had that issue. And I store them in the pantry as well.
Heatware : Chuckdeg
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9404 posts
5374 upvotes
Sounds like a bad batch. I buy pistachios in the shell and Kirkland walnuts from Costco regularly and have never been disappointed.

On a separate note, I have tried buying the big pails of DANDPAK nuts on several occasions only to find that they are way too salty for my liking. They make me feel like they are probably not good for one's cardiovascular health due to the excessive salt content.
Apr 9, 2012
473 posts
399 upvotes
choclover wrote: ... On a separate note, I have tried buying the big pails of DANDPAK nuts on several occasions only to find that they are way too salty for my liking. They make me feel like they are probably not good for one's cardiovascular health due to the excessive salt content.
Have you tried giving them a quick rinse to wash off some of the salt? Then leave them out to dry or put on a cookie sheet & dry in an oven or toaster oven at a lower temp to dry? Or chop them up & add them to a meal prep & not add any or as much salt as you might otherwise, like a stew, stir fry, soup or salad? Or put them in a colander & give them a vigorous shake & stir over the sink or a pan to maybe remove some of the salt? My apologies if you find the suggestions unwanted.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
Rancid nuts, just in time for Valentines.;)
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
2136 posts
1965 upvotes
When we buy nuts from Costco, I transfer enough out of the bag into a glass mason jar to eat, and vacuum seal the rest. This is the only way I found to keep them long enough from having that rancid taste. Storing in the freezer works too, but affects the texture of the macadamia and the pistachio nuts. It's ok for almonds and cashews.

The only exception is that big round can of peanuts, it's cheap, and goes quickly between snacking and some cooking, so it stays as is in the pantry.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 25, 2006
8452 posts
3627 upvotes
Nuts...
"If you make a mistake but then change your ways, it is like never having made a mistake at all" - Confucius
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9404 posts
5374 upvotes
Mtnviewer wrote: Have you tried giving them a quick rinse to wash off some of the salt? Then leave them out to dry or put on a cookie sheet & dry in an oven or toaster oven at a lower temp to dry? Or chop them up & add them to a meal prep & not add any or as much salt as you might otherwise, like a stew, stir fry, soup or salad? Or put them in a colander & give them a vigorous shake & stir over the sink or a pan to maybe remove some of the salt? My apologies if you find the suggestions unwanted.
All great suggestions but after my DANDPAK experience, I opt for other brands that seem to just have the normal amount of salt.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)