• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2021 9:53 am
[OP]
Nov 1, 2008
671 posts
452 upvotes
Canada

[Costco] ONLINE Chef’s Choice 3-stage Electric Knife Sharpener $99.99

Not sure why this thread was moved to expired but the deal is still live and there is lots of stock. All credit to walleye*guy. Here is the link to original thread.. Give him some love.

Here is the link to the Costco product page
==================================================
66 replies
Nov 12, 2012
713 posts
432 upvotes
Calgary
I picked up one locally for the same price earlier this week. Sharpened all knives in my kitchen and definitely worth the price.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2015
1091 posts
1086 upvotes
Abbotsford
This is regular price at Costco now.
Not a hot deal.
[OP]
Nov 1, 2008
671 posts
452 upvotes
Canada
DanielM491 wrote: This is regular price at Costco now.
Not a hot deal.
It is kind of a hot deal as it gets sold out pretty quickly every time they have stock but you are correct, it is a regular price. It's also worth mentioning that the price online is same as price in store(if you can find stock) which is pretty uncommon for Costco. They usually have a higher price online(to compensate for shipping) than in store.
==================================================
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2307 posts
1013 upvotes
Edmonton
DanielM491 wrote: This is regular price at Costco now.
Not a hot deal.
At Lee Valley Tools the regular price is $199
On sale at Amazon today only - $155.
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....
Nov 12, 2012
78 posts
47 upvotes
Vancouver
Does anyone know if you can use this effectively for 16 degree knives?
The description says it works for 15 and 20 degrees.
Oct 5, 2020
14 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Mrperson wrote: Can this sharpen Global Knives?
It can but I wouldn't. Knife sharpeners are generally not the best tool for sharpening knives. They strip a lot of metal away from the knife and can even end up chipping more fragile/brittle knives (Japanese knives tend to be more delicate; I don't know about Global though as I don't have any of their knives). Also NEVER use a knife sharpener on a single bevel knife. You are better off taking it to a sharpening service if you want to preserve the longevity of your knives (or learning how to use a whetstone, but that can be quite difficult and time consuming).
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
3097 posts
1712 upvotes
Toronto
This thing saved me from buying a new knife set. Works quite well for us and have been impressed with the results.
Jul 2, 2013
72 posts
34 upvotes
KANATA
Yeah you should be fine with global knives or any knive with a HRC of 60 or lower. I believe Global is around 56-57 HRC
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14122 posts
7857 upvotes
Southern Ontario
The manual Minosharp as sold on their site works really well, just a few 3 stage passes.

I don’t want anyone in the house mechanically grinding by mistake.
Jun 24, 2012
226 posts
133 upvotes
Hamilton
Would this be safe to use on a Miyabi Kaizen II 5000 FC-D?
Sep 7, 2010
81 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks, I've never been able to bag one for myself before today.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2009
2600 posts
1910 upvotes
North York
MeGustaFreeStuff wrote: It can but I wouldn't. Knife sharpeners are generally not the best tool for sharpening knives. They strip a lot of metal away from the knife and can even end up chipping more fragile/brittle knives (Japanese knives tend to be more delicate; I don't know about Global though as I don't have any of their knives). Also NEVER use a knife sharpener on a single bevel knife. You are better off taking it to a sharpening service if you want to preserve the longevity of your knives (or learning how to use a whetstone, but that can be quite difficult and time consuming).
Not this one. I use it on my global knives and they work great. Does not shave off a lot of metal at all. This one can also do single bevel as long as its 15 degrees or 20 degrees. Most japanese knives are 15 degrees so its fine.

I would agree with the statement on the cheaper ones though.
Mar 1, 2017
392 posts
140 upvotes
KiraSensei wrote: Not this one. I use it on my global knives and they work great. Does not shave off a lot of metal at all. This one can also do single bevel as long as its 15 degrees or 20 degrees. Most japanese knives are 15 degrees so its fine.

I would agree with the statement on the cheaper ones though.
How does this compare to a whetstone?
Deal Addict
May 15, 2009
2600 posts
1910 upvotes
North York
mikefly wrote: How does this compare to a whetstone?
The sharpness comes close. But at less effort and time.

Great video about a comparison: