Expired Hot Deals

Costco

Ooma Telo Air Free Home Phone Service with Three HD3 Handsets $69.97 - YMMV available at Nepean Ottawa location

Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
7500 posts
8019 upvotes
oldteddybear wrote: Another benefit of OOMA is their app.
It allows you to make and receive calls on your cellphone the same as if you were at home. I have used it on a cruise, out in the Atlantic, using the ships wifi to make calls home and book further travel.
Calls to an OOMA phone to an OOMA phone are free no matter where the devices are located. I helped a friend set up their family in Jamaica with an OOMA and now they can call each other for free.
Where I work tried to call me in for emergency overtime. When I returned the call they did not believe that I was out of the country as the caller ID said I was at home. I ended up having to email a selfie from the hotel lobby holding that days local paper.
don't you need to have the Premium sub for this?
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
4019 posts
144 upvotes
Markham
lkovacs wrote: Ymmv - at the Ottawa Nepean Costco, the Ooma Telo Air Free Home Phone Service with three HD3 Handsets are clearance priced at $69.97.

There were 14 boxes left last night, SKU 6760021 to phone ahead and see if your local Costco has stock.

Ooma Costco.jpg

Note that the HD3 handsets themselves have poor reviews, but the Ooma Telo unit itself is good (I have used one for years and purchased this set to update my old set which works fine but the rubberized plastic exterior is sticky and bugs me).

The non wireless (ethernet cable to router required) version of this Ooma Telo is listed on Costco.ca at $179.99, so at $69.97 for the wireless Ooma Telo Air is a good deal if your in the market for a VOIP box.

https://www.costco.ca/ooma-telo-free-ho ... 80697.html#

And yes this is not a "free" phone service, nor is Ooma a "scam". Ooma is well reviewed in RFD and there is a minimal monthly service charge of $5.62/month for e911, regulatory fees, and taxes.

Product Details
Get crystal clear nationwide calling (pay only applicable taxes and fees.) Includes three Ooma HD3 Handsets with color screen. The #1 rated home phone service for overall satisfaction and value by a leading consumer research publication. Includes unlimited nationwide calling, voicemail, caller-ID, call-waiting, and 911 calling with text alerts.

Features:
Ooma Telo with three (3) HD3 Cordless Phone Handsets
Free nationwide calling and low international rates. Pay only applicable taxes and fees.
Includes voicemail, caller-ID, call-waiting, 911 calling and text alerts.
Handsets pair wirelessly with Telo, and feature speakerphone, color screen, advanced voicemail, detailed call logs.
Purevoice technology delivers fewer dropped calls and crystal-clear performance.
Add optional Ooma Premier service and get over 35 advanced calling features, including call blocking.

Includes:
Black Ooma Telo Device
Power adapter for Telo
Ethernet cable
3 × black HD3 device
3 × charging cradle for HD3
3 × power adapter for HD3
3 × sets of batteries for HD3 device
Ooma Telo Quick Start Guide
HD3 quick start guide

Specifications:
Dimensions: 27.7 cm × 21.6 cm × 15.5 cm (10.9 in. × 8.5 in. × 6 in.)
Weight: 2 kg (4.5 lb.)

Warranty: 1 year
Does this work with Home Monitoring System?
Jun 7, 2011
46 posts
38 upvotes
DoorCrasher wrote:
don't you need to have the Premium sub for this?
Yes ! The pemium app adds outgoing calls and carries the same calling area as the base unit and the same caller id. The base plan is incoming only. (I stand corrected) Calling home shows up as you are calling yourself. Calling 1800 numbers are again local to the base unit so work.
Ooma to Ooma calling is universal.
The premium gives you a second phone number that can be either a second ring pattern or a fully separate system if you use the linx, as well as the larger calling area for both base unit and app.
Last edited by oldteddybear on Jan 22nd, 2022 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penalty Box
Jun 10, 2020
877 posts
905 upvotes
bobor wrote: For the life of me, I can't figure out whythe call display on my mom's Ooma stopped working.

Is it a problem with the service or the device itself?

Debating whether to get one of tthese to try
Hmm, is it one of these Ooma Headsets? ... I get Caller ID on my 'free' service , but its number-only (no name). I think the name thing is a Premium subscriber only service. Not sure if that's what you were getting at.. It changed for me and I noticed it too. Voicemail speakerphone is also Premium too. It used to play like an actual answering machine for me when someone called (I could listen to their message they were leaving in real-time). Now it just goes straight to voicemail.
Penalty Box
Jun 10, 2020
877 posts
905 upvotes
jm1 wrote: TIP: wipe it with rubbing alcohol. It'll remove the rubberized coating fairly easily and you'll have just nice, clean plastic.

I've done this with my old Ooma Telo and a couple of remote controls with this stupid coating. I had tried soap and even a scouring pad with poor results until I read a suggestion online about rubbing alcohol.

The coating feels nice and grippy at first, but it's a sticky mess after a few years. It makes sense for remote controls, but never made sense for the Telo, which just has a few buttons.
TIL... This is about the most useful thing I've heard on here today! :) .. and it will work for my Telo. I have an even older version of the Telo (Not the oldest/1st blocky one, but one after that) that has somewhat soft-touch plastic and doesn't have the sticky issue, but yeah, that gen sure did.. Looks so gross, don't want to touch it, lol.. Will try the isopropyl.. Will 70% only do?

Edit: Also, to avoid my typical triple-posts as I read threads, lol...

What is the Telo Air? This is new/news to me.. Difference b/w regular Telo? Just a naming change??
EDIT Again: Going to answer my own question -- Ooma website. It appears the Bluetooth adapter and Wifi adapter is now built-in. They used to sell these separately.

Hmm, that'd be a point of caution for me though.. I like that my old Telo has an Ethernet connection Port... For most that'd be an inconvenience I suppose, though. And WiFi is better now than it used to be..
Last edited by DasHip on Jan 22nd, 2022 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
7500 posts
8019 upvotes
oldteddybear wrote: The app carries the same calling area as the base unit and the same caller id. Calling home shows up as you are calling yourself. Calling 1800 numbers are again local to the base unit so work.
Ooma to Ooma calling is universal.
The premium gives you a second phone number that can be either a second ring pattern or a fully separate system if you use the linx, as well as the larger calling area for both base unit and app.
So, with the base Ooma subscription, I can make calls, via the Ooma app (that I already installed, but never used), when I far from home, in another country? Without any fees, except the WiFi if any fees for this?
Penalty Box
Dec 16, 2020
167 posts
213 upvotes
Call quality is horrible on this.. even whatsapp/text apps are much clearer. Not to mention the thing is flashing red 40% of the time.
xtreme to the maximum
Penalty Box
Jun 10, 2020
877 posts
905 upvotes
xtremeguy wrote: Call quality is horrible on this.. even whatsapp/text apps are much clearer. Not to mention the thing is flashing red 40% of the time.
Have had mine since ~2011 .. I have a regular (ethernet) Telo though, not Wi-Fi based like this one (air). Haven't had a red light I've noticed in 2 years, and its right beside my computer desk.

Quality isn't always the greatest, but definitely decent enough. You used to be able to set the compression type/setting manually when you connected directly to the thing (ethernet) , not sure if that's still the case.. One reason why I like a wired connection though..
Jun 7, 2011
46 posts
38 upvotes
DoorCrasher wrote: So, with the base Ooma subscription, I can make calls, via the Ooma app (that I already installed, but never used), when I far from home, in another country? Without any fees, except the WiFi if any fees for this?
Not on the base plan ( I stand corrected)... but only to phone numbers that you could call from home using either wifi or cellular data (this may cost you). You can also receive calls that are made to your home phone number. (It is in the settings to choose what calling options you want to use)
Last edited by oldteddybear on Jan 22nd, 2022 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2007
3375 posts
730 upvotes
North York
DasHip wrote: Hmm, is it one of these Ooma Headsets? ... I get Caller ID on my 'free' service , but its number-only (no name). I think the name thing is a Premium subscriber only service. Not sure if that's what you were getting at.. It changed for me and I noticed it too. Voicemail speakerphone is also Premium too. It used to play like an actual answering machine for me when someone called (I could listen to their message they were leaving in real-time). Now it just goes straight to voicemail.
Hey I am on premium and remarked on the same thing this evening - can't listen to the msg - goes straight to voicemail. Will call customer service tomorrow and sort it out. So definitely not a premium thing - as I am on premium and used to have it before.
Dec 24, 2010
380 posts
260 upvotes
krazykanuck wrote: Wish this was available in the Montreal area. I'd jump on it now that I learned that OBI's are in end of life phase, and there is no support when things go wrong - I've been thinking about switching to OOMA.
I heard that Obi 200 is at end of support life but I would have thought that one can still replace with other ATAs like Grandstream or the new Polycom 300? Or did I miss something?
What about Fongo service which I believe had Xmas specials orf 3 mnths free? Are any of these viable alternatives to Obi 200?

I am not an expert but would love to hear comments whether it is advisable to go to Ooma.

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
7500 posts
8019 upvotes
oldteddybear wrote: Yes... but only to phone numbers that you could call from home using either wifi or cellular data (this may cost you). You can also receive calls that are made to your home phone number. (It is in the settings to choose what calling options you want to use)
Since basic sub is free incoming and outgoing calls to Canada, I could be in the Carribbean, using the free wifi, and make phone calls anywhere to Canada for no fees? Do I get it right? I thought that I needed the Premium plan, and even plan to subscribe to Premium for my next trip...
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2011
10546 posts
19644 upvotes
DoorCrasher wrote: So, with the base Ooma subscription, I can make calls, via the Ooma app (that I already installed, but never used), when I far from home, in another country? Without any fees, except the WiFi if any fees for this?
oldteddybear wrote: Yes... but only to phone numbers that you could call from home using either wifi or cellular data (this may cost you). You can also receive calls that are made to your home phone number. (It is in the settings to choose what calling options you want to use)
Answer is NO!

You can only make and receive if subscribed to Premium plan!

I think you can only receive with the basic plan.

DoorCrasher wrote: Since basic sub is free incoming and outgoing calls to Canada, I could be in the Carribbean, using the free wifi, and make phone calls anywhere to Canada for no fees? Do I get it right? I thought that I needed the Premium plan, and even plan to subscribe to Premium for my next trip...
You would need the Premium plan, and I also wondered if the Ooma app would work while vacationing, but since Covid hit, I never got to test things out. :(
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
10920 posts
4144 upvotes
Webhead wrote: Is Ooma easy to set up?

Looking for Home Phone Options other than Koodo, Zoomer, VOIP.ms, MagicJack, etc.
Yes, my 86 year old dad did it himself.
BTW, I have been using Ooma for 10 years, no issues other than a couple of outages for a total of about 2 hours.
Jun 7, 2011
46 posts
38 upvotes
I have to apologize!!!
The app outgoing calling is now a premium feature and has been for quite a while apparently! I should have reviewed the website information before responding. Sorry. I have been using the app since it came out on the iphone and I think i upgraded to provide a separate phone number for my kids between switching to android and the android app version 2 coming out.

I always tell others to consult the website... I should have taken my own advice.
https://www.ooma.ca/home-phone/plans/
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
7500 posts
8019 upvotes
IDStorms wrote: Answer is NO!

You can only make and receive if subscribed to Premium plan!

I think you can only receive with the basic plan.

You would need the Premium plan, and I also wondered if the Ooma app would work while vacationing, but since Covid hit, I never got to test things out. :(
that was what I thought... Premium needed for the aopp to make calls...

But still happy with the basic plan at +-$6 !!
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
3911 posts
3832 upvotes
Muskoka
Is CallFwd included in basic plan? If so, you could do that to TextNow or FongoMobile or something similar when you go on vacation
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2007
3375 posts
730 upvotes
North York
For those looking - saw them at Costco Woodbine (Markham, ON) this morning.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
7500 posts
8019 upvotes
xtremeguy wrote: Call quality is horrible on this.. even whatsapp/text apps are much clearer. Not to mention the thing is flashing red 40% of the time.
curious that since 1.5 years I never experienced red flashing (except when I experienced internet issues, and this was not Ooma's fault) and never experienced call quality issues... the only thing, and it happened very rarely, the one I'm talking to hear some echo... Quality here is crystal clear, service is reliable, never experienced a dropped call, never experienced a dead line (no dial tone) and the ease of setup really convinced me.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7176 posts
3639 upvotes
West GTEH!
spots01 wrote: Not to thread crap but .....

Fongo is $4.95/month - so similar price, but they now include Unl Cda Wide and USA Wide calling, VoiceMail to eMail, CallFwd/simultanious to one or multiple numbers. No need for premium.

Up front costs for equipment and number port are about $55 currently. You have to buy from them. They provide a preconfigured Grandstream device.
Did you sign up for Fongo?

If yes, how’s the service? Call quality?
😎