Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Ooma Telo Air Free Home Phone Service with Three HD3 Handsets $69.97 - YMMV available at Nepean Ottawa location

Jan 31, 2022
23 posts
102 upvotes
Bought one today in Vaughan (Weston Rd / HWY 7), they had 5-6 more left
Dec 19, 2008
107 posts
48 upvotes
GTA
Ajax store today. Has about 10 units or so on Feb 1. Thanks opie!
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2005
2597 posts
585 upvotes
GTA
325i wrote: I have a smart plug hooked up in their house that does a simple routine for the box every morning @ 4am:

1) shut off - wait 15 seconds
2) turn on - wait 60 seconds
3) shut off - wait 15 seconds
4) turn on

I know the numbers look and double boot look random but this is what it took to make things stable. Rogers would do something in the night that would make the box go offline/red and then in was panic in the house. I started by manually turning the smart plug on and off whenever they called me but that was way too often and annoying.

With the auto reboot things have been very stable for like a year and a half.

I did not have call quality issues though - just the dumb box going offline.

Hope this helps!!
Do you know if this is all VOIP?

I currently need something else for Acanac....it used to be amazing but i can't tell if its acanac side or Rogers side that's causing me such headaches (stops working all of a sudden)
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2002
1801 posts
1544 upvotes
I just subscribed to "FONGO" VOIP for $4.95 per month, ported my phone number for $10 and am very happy.

Went from $60+ per month for BELL to $4.95. per month

No-brainer. Wish I had have done it sooner !
What dancing banana ?
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2018
2541 posts
4741 upvotes
Curiosity wrote: I just subscribed to "FONGO" VOIP for $4.95 per month, ported my phone number for $10 and am very happy.

Were you able to get the Fongo ATA for $29?

I'd trade it all for a little more.
Jan 23, 2014
751 posts
594 upvotes
Markham
Curiosity wrote: I just subscribed to "FONGO" VOIP for $4.95 per month, ported my phone number for $10 and am very happy.

I went from italkbb gloabl plan(global unlimited calling) 29.xx per month to ooma 5.62 per month and buy prepaid 10 dollars for long D calling. Ooma device(ooma n 3 wifi extensions) costs me 109 n tax and keep my number (port) for 39.99. Total one time cost is more than Fongo. But overall performace is better than italkbb (which its vopi linksys adapot is old)
Jan 23, 2014
751 posts
594 upvotes
Markham
I have never use Fongo before. Can anyone tell the actual differencs? Fongo vs ooma. Thanks
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
4264 posts
5638 upvotes
Muskoka
zjwffff wrote: I have never use Fongo before. Can anyone tell the actual differencs? Fongo vs ooma. Thanks
Just some of my observations

Hardware -
- OOMA has proprietary equipment. Cannot use with any other VOIP.
- Option for wireless connection

- Fongo uses Grandstream HT801 - although it is locked to Fongo. You may be able to unlock, but I have heard that can be a headache.
- No wireless option

- Generally, Fongo hardware and initial port cost are quite a bit cheaper

Service Features
- monthly costs for basic service are within pennies of each other
- call quality is basically the same, that really depends on your internet service.
- Both include unlimited Cda wide.
- Fongo Includes USA calling, OOMA requires Premier for USA calling.
- Both are plug-and-play for initial setup.
- Both have voicemail. Fongo includes Voicemail to email, OOMA requires Premier service for this.
- OOMA has nice integration with mobile app. More app options with Premier. No mobile app for Fongo (Fongo Mobile is a different thing)
- Fongo includes CallFwd, OOMA requires Premier service for this.
- Both have really cheap overseas rates
- There are a number of other features available with OOMA but you need Premier to unlock these
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2012
1878 posts
810 upvotes
Winnipeg
plenty of stock at Regent, Winnipeg MB as well..
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2002
1801 posts
1544 upvotes
spots01 wrote: Just some of my observations

Hardware -

- Fongo uses Grandstream HT801 - although it is locked to Fongo. You may be able to unlock, but I have heard that can be a headache.
- No wireless option

Service Features
- call quality is basically the same, that really depends on your internet service.
- Both have voicemail. Fongo includes Voicemail to email, OOMA requires Premier service for this.
- OOMA has nice integration with mobile app. More app options with Premier. No mobile app for Fongo (Fongo Mobile is a different thing)
- There are a number of other features available with OOMA but you need Premier to unlock these
I really like the voicemail to email feature; VERY handy.

Also, FONGO has fax service. You just let FONGO voice mail answer and the FAX will be emailed as a PDF file.

Also I had someone text my new FONGO number and the text was emailed to me. A feature not on "the list".

I am very happy...
What dancing banana ?
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2018
2541 posts
4741 upvotes
spots01 wrote:
Just some of my observations

Hardware -

- No wireless option

Service Features
Also With Ooma mobile app and basic service you can only make calls, not receive, but you will be notified of voicemail which you can access through the app.
I decided to try the Premier service after being with Ooma basic for 5 years (Premier is $80/yr plus the usual $5/month charge) but will be switching back to basic only, Not worth it for me. YMMV

Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
4264 posts
5638 upvotes
Muskoka
Curiosity wrote: I really like the voicemail to email feature; VERY handy.

Also, FONGO has fax service. You just let FONGO voice mail answer and the FAX will be emailed as a PDF file.

Also I had someone text my new FONGO number and the text was emailed to me. A feature not on "the list".

I am very happy...
For Fongo fax.
As you stated, you can fax out through your Fongo Home device. For receiving, I opened a Fongo Mobile acct different number and it is free. But the Fongo Mobile also allows you to receive faxes. Just like the paid Fongo, they will email you a PDF of the fax. I don’t have to remember NOT to answer when a fax is coming in. Of course your Fax number for others is your mobile acct not home phone.

This would also work for OOMA customers.

And yes, you can receive texts on Fongo Home. It is delivered via email
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2013
4016 posts
3367 upvotes
YUL/YVR
Picked up a set at Costco. Had it set up and activated.

I know I get 90 days of Premier for free. But it looks like there's also $50.00 credit on the prepaid account?
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2007
4053 posts
1127 upvotes
North York
gamefacelouie wrote: Also With Ooma mobile app and basic service you can only make calls, not receive, but you will be notified of voicemail which you can access through the app.
I decided to try the Premier service after being with Ooma basic for 5 years (Premier is $80/yr plus the usual $5/month charge) but will be switching back to basic only, Not worth it for me. YMMV
Price for Premier - isn't it $120+tax?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
9134 posts
7079 upvotes
West GTEH!

Yes.
There was a January New Year Deal where you received the 1st 4 months free
gamefacelouie wrote: Were you able to get the Fongo ATA for $29?
This Deal has been ongoing for awhile $29 ATA. I think it was for all of 2021.
😎
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2018
2541 posts
4741 upvotes
sheriffabc wrote:
Price for Premier - isn't it $120+tax?
I've been with them for a while so I asked for a better price to check it out, probably should have asked for a free trial but didn't think at the time. Will not be renewing premier service, not worth it for me. If I needed extra features would switch to Fongo, same price as Ooma basic.

Deal Addict
May 28, 2007
1849 posts
1299 upvotes
crazychick wrote: Also, different use case. For older people who need a home phone (and use theirs like a home phone), would you recommend OOma or Fongo?
How is 911 with these locating you like the old Bell copper lines? That's the major concern I have about switching to these with an elderly parent at home who doesn't speak English well.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
4264 posts
5638 upvotes
Muskoka
RCML27 wrote: How is 911 with these locating you like the old Bell copper lines? That's the major concern I have about switching to these with an elderly parent at home who doesn't speak English well.
With both OOMA and Fongo you have to register your address with them specifically for e911. The 911 fee is included with both services
Public Mobile
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12742 posts
25705 upvotes
Montreal
RCML27 wrote: How is 911 with these locating you like the old Bell copper lines? That's the major concern I have about switching to these with an elderly parent at home who doesn't speak English well.
With the POTS (Bell land line for example) when you dial 911, it goes directly to your municipal 911 center. With e911, it goes first to a national 911 center where they will ask to confirm the address they have on file before transferring you to the appropriate 911 center. It's only a delay of a few seconds but that could be problematic if the person calling can't talk. At least tell your elderly parent that they will be asked for their address.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)