7968 upvotes
Hamilton
I want this but how do you make the best pizza lol
hated on but respected.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
2183 posts
571 upvotes
Too bad the 12 doesn’t have a LNG conversion kit like the 16.
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?
Jun 12, 2013
271 posts
300 upvotes
Edmonton
I own a meat slicer so I buy a chub of salami and pepperoni and go to town. Just been buying the premade crusts from Costco.

My mother makes an amazing home made pizza sauce which she can supply me, but does anyone have like an easy pizza dough recipe? Easy as in i Ron know how to cook or bake next to anything from scratch without messing it up

I’ve seen a lot of Ooni videos on YouTube before seeing this deal so I know the quality of their products, but I need a reason to justify the purchase
Sep 11, 2008
37 posts
39 upvotes
Calgary, AB
@timbit01 Give this a shot: Serious Eats Neapolitan Pizza Dough. Any pizza dough is just a couple basic ingredients in a specific ratio so as long as you measure it's hard to go wrong.

Someone else mentioned Kenji @ Serious Eats earlier but he honestly has it nailed... I've seldom been let down by his guidance. Once you get used to what the consistency and texture should feel/look like it's much easier to tell if you're on track for a good time (or not).
Last edited by scottybass on Jan 22nd, 2022 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
22033 posts
684 upvotes
Newmarket
Looks like a really good deal, my only concern is, 12” isn’t a lot of room.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2005
1481 posts
124 upvotes
Ontario
scottybass wrote: @timbit01 Give this a shot: Serious Eats Neapolitan Pizza Dough. Any pizza dough is just a couple basic ingredients in a specific ratio so as long as you measure it's hard to go wrong.

Someone else mentioned Kenji @ Serious Eats earlier but he honestly has it nailed... I've seldom been let down by his guidance. Once you get used to what the consistency and texture should feel/look like it's much easier to tell if you're on track for a good time (or not).
I’ll try this recipe for the dough, but as you mentioned they are all the same ingredients. I did notice this one calls for bread flour or 00 flour. Plus the rise time is much higher than I’m used to.

I’m trying for that restaurant style thin crust, and I typically end up with thin, plain, unflavoured dough.
Aug 17, 2007
315 posts
329 upvotes
I bought one of these on Monday afternoon and have already used it 5 times. I was making pizzas in my conventional oven about once a week but this is a game changer. It has a steep learning curve to stretch the dough and launch and turn pizzas but it's very enjoyable and makes delicious pizza. Don't get it if you don't want to invest the time into learning to make good pizza but if you appreciate good pizza it's amazing.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4175 posts
3384 upvotes
Toronto
Lots of RFD threads on Ooni ovens with links to recipes etc. I have the 16 and love it. I've got a good dough recipe, but of course you need to plan a day or so ahead if you want a decent Neapolitan dough.

It's a bit of a juggle when you need to make multiple pizzas but it's fun once in a while to break it out and make a mess in the kitchen.

$12 frozen Libretto pies in Toronto live in our freezer for last-minute or late night cravings, and we're within a 5 minute walk to a Libretto location, but I haul the Ooni up to the cottage for the summer and enjoy it out in the woods.
Jun 22, 2011
465 posts
372 upvotes
timbit01 wrote: I own a meat slicer so I buy a chub of salami and pepperoni and go to town. Just been buying the premade crusts from Costco.

My mother makes an amazing home made pizza sauce which she can supply me, but does anyone have like an easy pizza dough recipe? Easy as in i Ron know how to cook or bake next to anything from scratch without messing it up

I’ve seen a lot of Ooni videos on YouTube before seeing this deal so I know the quality of their products, but I need a reason to justify the purchase
Personally I use Adam ragusea's recipe. His 2.0 version, but make it in a stand mixer. You need to understand hydration a little to make it work (potentially). It's a better dough then kenjis, but harder to work with. The hydration is higher and imo nets a better crust.

I use my pizza steel in the oven and it works great.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2008
1769 posts
670 upvotes
Smoothie wrote: I’ll try this recipe for the dough, but as you mentioned they are all the same ingredients. I did notice this one calls for bread flour or 00 flour. Plus the rise time is much higher than I’m used to.

I’m trying for that restaurant style thin crust, and I typically end up with thin, plain, unflavoured dough.
Maybe try this one out: https://www.thursdaynightpizza.com/neapolitan-pizza-dough/
It's pretty good.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
3244 posts
2886 upvotes
Toronto
How much better is this than $100 oven??
To the moon
Deal Fanatic
Jan 26, 2003
5102 posts
513 upvotes
Ive been keeping my eye on this product for a long time.

But I've read enough reviews and opinions to conclude that I'd have to jump into a 16 to make it worth my while.

That or invest in a decent pizza steel for a fraction of the price.
He .... looka lika MAN!
I tell you every ting!
----------------------------------------------------
If you haven't figured it out yet ... i'm not a female. Have you ever watched MADtv?
Oct 27, 2006
266 posts
299 upvotes
BC
Here's an excellent video that makes use of this brand of pizza ovens:

Hearing the pizza chef's backstory was really cool too
Nov 13, 2019
22 posts
40 upvotes
Smoothie wrote: I’ll try this recipe for the dough, but as you mentioned they are all the same ingredients. I did notice this one calls for bread flour or 00 flour. Plus the rise time is much higher than I’m used to.

Flavour is developed by having the right ratio of salt in the dough as well as the prolonged proofing time. I usually don't have the forethought to make dough two days in advance though.

I generally don't like like 00 flour, just doesn't seem to come together as nicely as bread flour and it's harder for me to get, so I stick to the latter.

About the Koni itself, i really want to like it but I'm not sure if I do. The challenges getting the pizza off my peel and into the oven and the fact that I often burn the crust stops me from using it consistently.