• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2022 1:10 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
5821 posts
4120 upvotes
GSXXRR wrote: i want one, but don't make enough pizza to justify the price.

profit margin for the manufacture must be crazy.
You think they charge per pizza or something? How much you use it doesn't impact the manufacturer's profit margin lol.

It's essentially a specialized $450 barbecue.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31712 posts
13046 upvotes
Redsanta wrote: How much better is this than $100 oven??
Battscrew wrote: About 3.5 times better
Bella125 wrote: Nah, It's certainly $249 better.
Sooo, still about 1/3rd as good then, as RFDer Elite $900 ovens?
Aug 17, 2007
315 posts
329 upvotes
stealth wrote: Looks like a really good deal, my only concern is, 12” isn’t a lot of room.
Initially I was a little concerned 12" might be limiting as well but a few things about this:
  1. Pizzas are done in like 1-2 mins so if you have 2 ready to go it's not a lot of extra time compared to baking one larger one in a conventional oven
  2. I was previously making half and half larger ones to suit different preferences in the family. Now I just make 2 different whole ones and have more fun
Nov 9, 2020
224 posts
418 upvotes
Maple
Lots in stock at Vaughan Colossus.
Didn't check price though.
Do you need it or do you want it?
Dec 4, 2008
51 posts
23 upvotes
Genblue wrote: Waiting for Costco to start carrying the Koda 16 at a great price.
I have the 16 and I’d personally recommend most go with the 16. Easier to maneuver and great when having people over.
Aug 31, 2003
841 posts
281 upvotes
White Rock, BC
What about using the pre-made crusts from Costco? (they have the regular dough and the cauliflower crust) - I use the CC ones all the time in the oven
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16727 posts
11467 upvotes
Markham
torontotim wrote: Lots of RFD threads on Ooni ovens with links to recipes etc. I have the 16 and love it. I've got a good dough recipe, but of course you need to plan a day or so ahead if you want a decent Neapolitan dough.

It's a bit of a juggle when you need to make multiple pizzas but it's fun once in a while to break it out and make a mess in the kitchen.

$12 frozen Libretto pies in Toronto live in our freezer for last-minute or late night cravings, and we're within a 5 minute walk to a Libretto location, but I haul the Ooni up to the cottage for the summer and enjoy it out in the woods.
Why are you buying any frozen pizza let alone a $12 one when you have the oven? Why not just make your own for freezing?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16727 posts
11467 upvotes
Markham
This is a more reasonable price for the oven. I suspect we'll see this as more of the norm going forward as the higher price had only so many buyers.

Ooni has benefited from the pandemic make at home restaurant quality food movement.

Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
22036 posts
691 upvotes
Newmarket
dpvu wrote: Initially I was a little concerned 12" might be limiting as well but a few things about this:
  1. Pizzas are done in like 1-2 mins so if you have 2 ready to go it's not a lot of extra time compared to baking one larger one in a conventional oven
  2. I was previously making half and half larger ones to suit different preferences in the family. Now I just make 2 different whole ones and have more fun
Does the temp drop after each pizza, even on the floor?
I find that happens with my wood fired oven, the crust cools the floor somewhat so making a lot of small ones can be a problem bc the crust doesn’t get cooked as well with each successive one….esp if you have guests and are making 4+.
I’m sure there’s much less of a learning curve with a gas one like this, than wood.
Last edited by stealth on Jan 23rd, 2022 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1280 posts
1823 upvotes
Toronto
jay395 wrote: Lots in stock at Vaughan Colossus.
Didn't check price though.
$449.00 is the price (edited from 499 which I had originally put down)
Last edited by ichibansan on Jan 26th, 2022 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16727 posts
11467 upvotes
Markham
stealth wrote: Does the temp drop after each pizza, even on the floor?
I find that happens with my wood fired oven, the crust cools the floor somewhat so making a lot of small ones can be a problem bc the crust doesn’t get cooked as well with each successive one….esp if you have guests and are making 4+.
I’m sure there’s much less of a learning curve with a gas one like this, than wood.
The temp on the floor does drop.

If you're a fast pizza maker or if you make multiple pizzas pre cook, this can be an issue.

There's only two ways to fix that: more thermal mass on the floor or perhaps a "door"/cover so little/no heat loss thru the front opening. Wondering if anyone has ever put another stone or even a pizza steel on the bottom to increase mass?

Jun 11, 2011
494 posts
160 upvotes
scottybass wrote: This is a good price in-store, but may only be for Costco West. I bought back in Nov from Costco.ca for ~$449+tax, currently $479+tax online. I found stock at Balzac, East Hills, and Sunridge Costco in Calgary earlier this week so I was able to do a purchase/return to price adjust.

For actual use I love the thing. Gets super hot, has no issue cooking a neo-style pie and the 12" max size allows for a pretty substantial pizza while still being easy to put on a shelf in the garage when not in use. Burner is only at the back (unlike the 16" version that wraps around one side) so you need to use the included peel to pull and rotate frequently to get an even cook. This isn't a bad thing as the pizza cooks so quickly you'll want to be babysitting it to avoid burning things (it can get out of hand quickly with a ~60sec cook time).

A+ would buy again. Recommended if you're willing to sink time into your food prep, the results are great.
Curious if there's stock at Taza? All of those are quite far from me (deep deep SE). Might go anyways.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3659 posts
398 upvotes
HelloNanaimo wrote: A friend has had his for 4 years and loves it. Great beginner Pizza oven at a great price.

Costco also has a solid return policy.
It’s far from a “beginner” oven, food trucks get setup using a few of these or the better insulated Roccbox.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3659 posts
398 upvotes
Shabutie wrote: I have the 16 and I’d personally recommend most go with the 16. Easier to maneuver and great when having people over.
I debated this myself, the Roccbox or a 16” Ooni and I realized how ridiculous I was being when it takes 60-90 seconds per cook, so people should not beat themselves up about need a 16”.
Jul 24, 2014
83 posts
22 upvotes
Westmount, QC
i have one... bought it a few years ago and use it about once a week. I put a motor in it so i dont need to turn the pies as they cook and don't burn the crust. The pies cook in around 80-90 seconds and I can get up to around 470c in the winter and 500 in the summer. If you're big on Neapolitan pies, its awesome.
Jan 25, 2016
730 posts
1136 upvotes
Toronto
Rockstead wrote: It’s far from a “beginner” oven, food trucks get setup using a few of these or the better insulated Roccbox.
Beginner as in price point. Beginner as in gas - instead of wood. Beginner as in this will be most people’s first Pizza oven to use.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3659 posts
398 upvotes
HelloNanaimo wrote: Beginner as in price point. Beginner as in gas - instead of wood. Beginner as in this will be most people’s first Pizza oven to use.
Another reason to go for the Roccbox as you can switch between gas and wood as a heat source.

I don’t really think 99% of people buying these intend to upgrade to something bigger, it’s amazing that we have this type of build quality at this price point, very obtainable compared to what you would have had to spent in the past, it’s really a win for consumers.

Thread Information

There are currently 10 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 7 guests)

boardinthepark, jmason86, farago2r