• May 1st, 2021 8:30 pm
[OP]
Aug 25, 2012
241 posts
427 upvotes
VANCOUVER

Costco paper towels: Now with 20 fewer sheets per roll

For the real deal hunters of RFD:

Costco paper towels. Same price as the previous several times buying them. Now with 20 fewer sheets.
140/160= .875
Inflation rate: 8.75%

Find the old rolls in store with 160 sheets and it’s effectively like buying the new sheets at 8.75% off!

You can thank Powell and Macklem for this hidden inflation...
Eventually RFD might just become a life hacks thread trying to find deals on basic household items by avoiding paying inflation premiums...
Images
  • 813A1351-44CD-4476-A549-B5B202EC3971.png
Last edited by TomRFD on Apr 26th, 2021 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated title
If you like them, please be sure to up vote my posts! When you upvote my posts, this is what happens:
My wife loves me more😂, my car goes faster😎, my house becomes bigger😐, My boss gives me a raise😁.

Fact check, none of the above is valid.
45 replies
[OP]
Aug 25, 2012
241 posts
427 upvotes
VANCOUVER
I ’ve been noticing this happening with all sorts of different products and finally decided to post about it to see how receptive RFD would be.

Econ 101:

Don’t forget inflation comes in two different shapes: direct price increases (for the same goods) or no price increase (for less quantity of goods).

Typically companies will prefer the latter to pass on increasing costs of goods to a consumer because it isn’t as noticeable. Where as if the retail sales price goes up, a consumer might reject the increase and say, “I’ll consider the competitor price to see if it is lower.”

I tried telling the clerk at Costco about this, and they said “who cares, it’s just 20 sheets.”

Will probably be the typical response.
Last edited by frozatio on Apr 26th, 2021 9:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
If you like them, please be sure to up vote my posts! When you upvote my posts, this is what happens:
My wife loves me more😂, my car goes faster😎, my house becomes bigger😐, My boss gives me a raise😁.

Fact check, none of the above is valid.
Aug 13, 2020
253 posts
824 upvotes
frozatio wrote: I tried telling the clerk at Costco about this, and they said “who cares, it’s just 20 sheets.”

Will be the typical response.
As it should be. Lmfao
Oct 19, 2009
319 posts
209 upvotes
If your income increase cannot catch 20 sheets of paper tower increase, you probably need to talk to a financial advisor and not the Costco staff.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1518 posts
842 upvotes
Toronto
It's unfortunate that governments are very narrow minded in how they calculate inflation. I suspect the real inflation rate is actually 1.5 -2 times higher than the official rate.
Apr 1, 2011
257 posts
229 upvotes
Toronto
Typical marketing tactics - you make package smaller without increasing package price so few people will notice
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1734 posts
779 upvotes
lpin14 wrote: It's unfortunate that governments are very narrow minded in how they calculate inflation. I suspect the real inflation rate is actually 1.5 -2 times higher than the official rate.
This is probably true. Most food products operate this way where they slowly decrease the size until they introduce a new Family size or something like that which is really the same size as the now small one once was. Not sure if government takes these decreases into account when it calculates inflation.
Mar 23, 2018
196 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
I tried Costco paper towels once, they are nowhere near as good as Bounty. I would recommend buying Bounty when it goes on sale there instead.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
6162 posts
2559 upvotes
West GTEH!
frozatio wrote: For the real deal hunters of RFD:

Costco paper towels. Same price as the previous several times buying them. Now with 20 fewer sheets.
140/160= .875
Inflation rate: 8.75%

Find the old rolls in store with 160 sheets and it’s effectively like buying the new sheets at 8.75% off!

You can thank Powell and Macklem for this hidden inflation...
Eventually RFD might just become a life hacks thread trying to find deals on basic household items by avoiding paying inflation premiums...
Good catch. Thanks for the Heads up.
Unfortunately, Product Volume decreases as Price stays the same. That seems to be the Trend with All Manufacturers/Company's.
Sometimes ( most times) Customers don't notice this until they look at the Details.

Good thing I have a couple Packs with the 160 Sheets/Roll.
😎
Oct 7, 2007
288 posts
75 upvotes
Rider Nation
liftinpeanuts wrote: I tried Costco paper towels once, they are nowhere near as good as Bounty. I would recommend buying Bounty when it goes on sale there instead.
The Kirkland use to be a premium heavy wipe product. Now they are thinner and not near as good quality.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2009
1970 posts
1686 upvotes
frozatio wrote: I ’ve been noticing this happening with all sorts of different products and finally decided to post about it to see how receptive RFD would be.

Econ 101:

Don’t forget inflation comes in two different shapes: direct price increases (for the same goods) or no price increase (for less quantity of goods).

Typically companies will prefer the latter to pass on increasing costs of goods to a consumer because it isn’t as noticeable. Where as if the retail sales price goes up, a consumer might reject the increase and say, “I’ll consider the competitor price to see if it is lower.”

I tried telling the clerk at Costco about this, and they said “who cares, it’s just 20 sheets.”

Will probably be the typical response.

They've got more than enough issues without your commentary on the price of paper towels per sheet - leave the staff alone
Nov 17, 2009
86 posts
55 upvotes
In another decade we will have same price for 1 sheet of paper towel lol
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1766 posts
612 upvotes
Elgin, ON
Generally speaking, when it comes to grocery and other consumables, I prefer quantity decreases over price increases.
Jun 28, 2013
231 posts
279 upvotes
liftinpeanuts wrote: I tried Costco paper towels once, they are nowhere near as good as Bounty. I would recommend buying Bounty when it goes on sale there instead.
Are you like my step dad?

After using bounty he likes to rins it, dry and reuse?

lol
Jan 19, 2017
551 posts
885 upvotes
Honestly thank you for posting this OP i might not have noticed. Sometimes it takes 2-3 shrinkflation rounds before i realize. The people in this thread saying "Who Cares" and people down voting you is a perfect example of culture now a days. "Doesn't effect me so F Off" You will really notice it on things that become more expensive and your average person saying its becoming a little too much. Its almost like the upper class gets annoying by the bitching? I cant think of ANY reason to down vote, talk down or make sarcastic comments about this unless your are a well off, wealthy individual that doesn't like to here us poor people complain about getting basically defrauded into paying significantly more and more of our income to corporations to survive. If a thread discussion sneaky ways extremely profitable mega businesses are taking more and more of my weekly income is frustrating you or causing you emotional distress you need to do some serious self reflecting. Thank you OP i look forward to future posts.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3946 posts
1197 upvotes
Durham Region
Thanks, time to cancel my membership! /s
Mar 23, 2018
196 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
GB9797 wrote: Are you like my step dad?

After using bounty he likes to rins it, dry and reuse?

lol
lol, nope. I toss them. I just don't have time to be dicking around with shitty low absorbency paper towels.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3702 posts
3906 upvotes
GTA
I actually had an opposite encounter.
A few weeks ago we ran out of the Bag To Nature little green bin bags. When we got them home I noticed the box had shrunk, and the bags were arranged in two rolls rather than a large stack. I thought for sure they had decreased the amount. Turns out they added 30 more bags while shrinking the box size.
TBH I can't remember the price of the previous quantity, so they could have increased the price to achieve this. Also not a Kirkland brand product as the OP is posting about, but maybe a good head's up for some.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19236 posts
2085 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
RAINMAN0 wrote: This is probably true. Most food products operate this way where they slowly decrease the size until they introduce a new Family size or something like that which is really the same size as the now small one once was. Not sure if government takes these decreases into account when it calculates inflation.
Governments don't care; their ass is covered. Someone said during this pandemic, Rob Ford's net worth rose to 50 million dollars. That's a lot of cheese cake!