• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2020 8:05 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1740 posts
309 upvotes

Costco Pharmacy Rx 30 days only

Was at Richmond Costco filling family prescriptions for 3 months (per the doctor). Was advised at the counter that due to Cov-19 pandemic, effective today it will only fill 30 days at a time (refill the other 2). This notice also posted on the window.
8 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
12541 posts
9769 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
doberman_baby wrote: Was at Richmond Costco filling family prescriptions for 3 months (per the doctor). Was advised at the counter that due to Cov-19 pandemic, effective today it will only fill 30 days at a time (refill the other 2). This notice also posted on the window.
Yes, this has been posted before
Here’s the first RFD thread that talked about the BC situation
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/bc-phar ... s-2362544/

And it’s not just BC ... it’s happened in other Provinces too
Here’s a thread from earlier today about similar issues in Ontario
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/psa-pha ... c-2363965/

Doesn’t seem to be any real shortages yet
These are just proactive measures so every Cdn can get what they need
Prevent shortages from happening by hoarding etc
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2652 posts
1779 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
doberman_baby wrote: Was at Richmond Costco filling family prescriptions for 3 months (per the doctor). Was advised at the counter that due to Cov-19 pandemic, effective today it will only fill 30 days at a time (refill the other 2). This notice also posted on the window.
Yeah...that's a pharmacist thing. They don't want idiots hoarding medicines like they did TP, since not being able to get your prescription is a tad more fatal than running short on dunny rolls.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
4366 posts
1906 upvotes
Vancouver
Sgtalpowell wrote: Some doctors are reportedly hoarding trial coronavirus drugs by issuing prescriptions for themselves

https://www.businessinsider.com/doctors ... ves-2020-3

States Say Some Doctors Stockpile Trial Coronavirus Drugs, for Themselves

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/24/busi ... drugs.html
Yes, I've already had two doctors try to prescribe this for themselves and their family...
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
12541 posts
9769 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
goodking wrote: The most vulnerable population now has to expose themselves to the social environment of pharmacies often located at the back of busy department and grocery store 3 times as often.

Pharmacies keep specific records of each individual's consumption of their specific meds, so it is simple to identify people attempting to hoard.

Why triple the risk?
Which is WHY during this crisis we’ve moved our scripts from the BIG Corporate Chain Pharmacy to the smaller chain (more local) Pharmacy ... cuz THEY DELIVER ... lol, like in the good old days

And not only meds ... ANYTHING else we may want or need from their store

Have decided I will be giving them my biz thru this crisis and into the future

I may pay more for their Dispensing Fees...

But, their personal support in these crazy days has been INDISPENSABLE
Dec 17, 2019
143 posts
79 upvotes
Montreal
Delivery is great in this day and age
I'm a customer at Public Mobile and VoIP.ms.
Don't hesitate to send me a question re these services!
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
12541 posts
9769 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
danmartin471 wrote: Delivery is great in this day and age
Lol, especially so when it’s also FREE Delivery
Smiling Face With Sunglasses

If I was to use a service like InstaCart for pick up at the BIGGER Ntl Chain
They want an absolute fortune for service fees etc
Which is calculated as so much per store stop ... and usually a percentage of your invoice
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
18966 posts
11821 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Most pharmacies do free home deliveries to seniors, shut-ins, immuno-compromised, etc. They did it long before COVID-19 so this is nothing new. That said, I'd imagine their delivery people are overwhelmed so please use this option only if you really have to.

The 30-day rationing edict came from the provincial pharma regulators and/or provincial governments, not from individual pharmacies. They're only doing as they're told.

At the same time pharmacies have also been authorized to do 30-day refills even on prescriptions that have recently expired. This is in order to reduce the number of calls/visits to doctors for replacement scrips.

As for keeping records, how does the pharmacist respond to someone who calls and claims their meds got lost or damaged? Desperate people can be creative.

The system is trying to cope as best it can to reduce the risk that critical medications run out due to hoarding. The faster they do it the more likely the way they do it will be flawed in some way.
veni, vidi, Visa

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)