Philips 1200 Series Fully Automatic Espresso Machine $659

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2021 9:44 am
[OP]
Mar 19, 2006
988 posts
388 upvotes

[Costco] Philips 1200 Series Fully Automatic Espresso Machine $659

Good price on a well rated machine, perfect for WFH. Bonus from Costco is the inclusion of 3 aquafilters which are retail $20 each and return policy. This will replace my Nespresso.

Thread Summary
If you're shopping for a new coffeemaker, check out RFD Reviews' list of the best espresso machines!
292 replies
Jun 30, 2019
554 posts
1257 upvotes
I just ordered the Bambino for 290 but was also considering a fully automatic one, probably in the future! Other than being able to automatically make your preferred drinks, any reason to consider it?
Apr 18, 2017
742 posts
1469 upvotes
Spiritualx wrote: I just ordered the Bambino for 290 but was also considering a fully automatic one, probably in the future! Other than being able to automatically make your preferred drinks, any reason to consider it?
So, the Bambino without a pressurized portafilter == similar beverage that a Super Auto will produce.

Bambino with a pressurized portafilter and a good grinder == better.

BUT you also have to remember that there is a rather steep learning curve with Semi Automatics, as Super Autos are pretty much press and go.

I have a Saeco Lirika+, and bought it after I struggled with the Bambino. I really enjoy it. Makes good drinks and doesn't stress me out.
Mar 9, 2011
449 posts
151 upvotes
Coquitlam
Is this the cheapest/best value bean-to-coffee machine out there right now? Been wanting to take the plunge but seeing $1k+ machines scares me.
Last edited by rishu_pepper on May 18th, 2021 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 15, 2009
48 posts
71 upvotes
London
We bought this machine a month ago from Costco and it’s great. Makes a nice shot of espresso and cup of coffee. I highly recommend this machine for the price.
Jun 10, 2007
11 posts
7 upvotes
I have had the LatteGo, 2200, version of this fully automatic espresso machine for over eight months and it is dead easy to use, which is great when one has just woken up and doesn't want to fuss about with anything. The brew unit is bulletproof, so far, and does not require the daily cleanings of the older philips/saeco fully automatics I have owned in the past. Most importantly, the unit makes great espressos, and other drinks. Being able to select your own whole beans makes the unit cheaper to operate than Nespresso pod machines and way easier to deal with on the maintenance and garbage side. All a super automatic creates for waste is a bit of water and a coffee bean puck suitable for a green bin.

Costco's price of 649 for the 1200 makes it really hard to justify spending 899, Amazon's price, on the 2200 unit though. The addition of the aqua filters would really seal the deal for me if I was in the market for a new super automatic.
Last edited by Fasner on May 18th, 2021 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Mar 19, 2006
988 posts
388 upvotes
The Lattego is a nice feature but $250 more. Otherwise the 2200 is the same unit as the 1200 in terms of functionality.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14833 posts
9118 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Spiritualx wrote: I just ordered the Bambino for 290 but was also considering a fully automatic one, probably in the future! Other than being able to automatically make your preferred drinks, any reason to consider it?
Convenience and limits to manipulation in the Philips. It didn't take me long to learn how to pull nice shots out of the Bambino with a bottomless portafilter, and now I can tweak the flavour because I understand my variables. You can climb that learning curve faster with a good consistent grinder which is the most important tool (factor cost not included in Bambino). Make it coarse = sour, make it fine = bitter, run it manually to get the same volume out. Now strive for the middle, a sweet balanced shot. Consistent grind from JX-Pro:

17.5g = 35.2g in ~30s, worked out on the double shot preset, didn't need to do manual on/off:

Nothing wrong with getting this Philips or another super auto, whatever suits your lifestyle and if you're willing to learn more of the process or not, pros/cons, which is right for you:
https://www.javapresse.com/blogs/espres ... so-machine
Nov 18, 2009
44 posts
16 upvotes
Fasner wrote: I have had the LatteGo, 2200, version of this fully automatic espresso machine for over eight months and it is dead easy to use, which is great when one has just woken up and doesn't want to fuss about with anything.
@Fasner how noisy do you find this unit?

I've been wanting a super automatic for a while, but lockdowns make it hard to visit a store and see it in person before dropping so much money on one.
Jun 4, 2007
237 posts
118 upvotes
GTA
I'm very close to pulling the trigger on this. Just looking into which credit cards offer triple extended warranty coverage. So far, I've discovered these three cards that would give 2 extra years of warranty beyond the 2 years of manufacturer's warranty:

- BMO CashBack World Elite MC: $120 AF; FYF; up to $260 bonus cashback in first three months; $4k chequing account balance card fee waiver; potential $300 chequing account bonus
- RBC Cash Back Preferred World Elite MC: $99 AF; $39 or $120 chequing account (Signature/VIP) card fee discount; potential free Airpods
- National Bank World Elite MC: $150 AF; $300 bonus cashback on $4k spend in 3 months; $6k chequing account (The Total) account balance card fee discount (one-time)
Last edited by immysiddy on May 19th, 2021 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nov 9, 2009
134 posts
93 upvotes
Brampton
Fasner wrote: I have had the LatteGo, 2200, version of this fully automatic espresso machine for over eight months and it is dead easy to use, which is great when one has just woken up and doesn't want to fuss about with anything. The brew unit is bulletproof, so far, and does not require the daily cleanings of the older philips/saeco fully automatics I have owned in the past. Most importantly, the unit makes great espressos, and other drinks. Being able to select your own whole beans makes the unit cheaper to operate than Nespresso pod machines and way easier to deal with on the maintenance and garbage side. All a super automatic creates for waste is a bit of water and a coffee bean puck suitable for a green bin.

Costco's price of 649 for the 1200 makes it really hard to justify spending 899, Amazon's price, on the 2200 unit though. The addition of the aqua filters would really seal the deal for me if I was in the market for a new super automatic.

how do you find the milk drinks do they come out hot? I want to pull the trigger on a LatteGo 5400
Jul 10, 2020
9 posts
7 upvotes
Forgive the ignorance, can I use this machine to make a large cup of coffee, i.e replace my kuerig?
Penalty Box
Nov 11, 2006
858 posts
999 upvotes
@home
Mawngo wrote: Forgive the ignorance, can I use this machine to make a large cup of coffee, i.e replace my kuerig?
You want to spend $745 to make a large single cup of coffee?
[OP]
Mar 19, 2006
988 posts
388 upvotes
Mawngo wrote: Forgive the ignorance, can I use this machine to make a large cup of coffee, i.e replace my kuerig?
I'm buying this to replace my Nespresso. Tired of the pods and the recycling but also want to upscale my coffee without too much hassle. Sometimes you need to get a fresh coffee before the next zoom meeting.

There is a maximum volume for the coffee recipe at 230ml, but you can also set it for two servings if you need that big coffee.
May 4, 2006
607 posts
309 upvotes
Mississauga
I have the same setup with the same scale, little bit of a learning curve, but its worth it. Now only if i can find the non pressurized baskets, out of stock everywhere, borrowing bottomless portafilter from friend.
AncasterRFD wrote: Convenience and limits to manipulation in the Philips. It didn't take me long to learn how to pull nice shots out of the Bambino with a bottomless portafilter, and now I can tweak the flavour because I understand my variables. You can climb that learning curve faster with a good consistent grinder which is the most important tool (factor cost not included in Bambino). Make it coarse = sour, make it fine = bitter, run it manually to get the same volume out. Now strive for the middle, a sweet balanced shot. Consistent grind from JX-Pro:

17.5g = 35.2g in ~30s, worked out on the double shot preset, didn't need to do manual on/off:

Nothing wrong with getting this Philips or another super auto, whatever suits your lifestyle and if you're willing to learn more of the process or not, pros/cons, which is right for you:
https://www.javapresse.com/blogs/espres ... so-machine
Jul 10, 2020
9 posts
7 upvotes
Eckz wrote: You want to spend $745 to make a large single cup of coffee?

I have a kuerig and don't have room on the counter for a second appliance, so no but sometimes you want quantity not quality.
Mar 23, 2017
514 posts
388 upvotes
Canada
This vs breville barista express? I know both are different categories but they are priced almost same. Decision decision. I don't mind putting a bit of extra effort to make a good cup of coffee. Want to replace my Nespresso vertuo
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2013
1225 posts
704 upvotes
Scarborough
YasirAli wrote: This vs breville barista express? I know both are different categories but they are priced almost same. Decision decision. I don't mind putting a bit of extra effort to make a good cup of coffee. Want to replace my Nespresso vertuo
For the past couple of weeks I made the mistake of starting reading about espresso. My short conclusion is if you are ready for a long (and looks like beautiful journey) of dialing espresso shots and grinding machines then go with Breville Barista, but expect down the road some extra expenses, like a better grinder (which starts at 200+ with the jx pro) and a scale and so on and so fort. If you just want to have a decent espresso in the morning without too much trouble get a decent super-automatica (like this one). I personally am holding for a good sale on DeLonghi Dinamica, which seems the sweet spot for a good espresso, "affordability" and also milk preparation (something that I am interested into).
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14833 posts
9118 upvotes
Southern Ontario
scmit2000 wrote: I have the same setup with the same scale, little bit of a learning curve, but its worth it. Now only if i can find the non pressurized baskets, out of stock everywhere, borrowing bottomless portafilter from friend.
Amazon 54mm bottomless, brand is HENDR. There’s a card inside to get a free one if you post a review. Or buy them on Alibaba.