Expired Hot Deals

Costco

Philips 27" 4K 60Hz IPS $449.99, USB-C (65W PD) Docking, VESA mountable, Height/Tilt Stand

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2020 8:18 am
[OP]
Sep 14, 2017
90 posts
182 upvotes

[Costco] Philips 27" 4K 60Hz IPS $449.99, USB-C (65W PD) Docking, VESA mountable, Height/Tilt Stand

Hey guys, now that work from home is the new norm, came across this monitor from Costco.

The 1 star review on Costco is likely a lemon - let's be honest, Costco return policy can save the day when it comes down to that. Also comes with 4 years of advanced replacement warranty, not sure how friendly their RMA process is though.

I bought it yesterday, UPS delivered it this morning. Can confirm 4k60Hz works for Chromebook + Windows, but you must check in the OSD menu for USB mode = USB 2.0. Charges both my Chromebook/Dell XPS 13 (45W), but the monitor supports up to 65W PD. I don't have a Mac so I can't confirm, but mixed reviews online.

Unfortunately there is no Freesync/G-Sync compatibility, but this is more of a productivity monitor. Happy to answer any questions about it now that I have it setup on my desk.

Advertisement video:

Review video:

Features:
Screen size: 27 in. (diagonal)
Panel type: IPS
Resolution: 4K UHD 3840 × 2160
Aspect ratio: 16:9
Refresh rate: 60 Hz
Brightness: 350 cd/m²
Contrast ratio: 1000:1
Response time: 5 ms
Viewing angle (H/V): 178°/178°
Tilt: 30° - 5°
Swivel (left/right): -175°/175°
Pivot: 90°
Height Adjustment: 150 mm
VESA wall mounting
Display colours supported: 1.07 billion colours
Built-in USB-C docking station

Connectivity:
1 × HDMI® 2.0
1 × DisplayPort™
1 × USB-C
2 × USB 3.2
1 × LAN

Built-in USB docking:
Simplify by connecting all your peripherals to the monitors docking station
USB-C supports video, data transfer and power delivery (up to 65W)

Includes:
Power cord
DisplayPort™ cable
HDMI® cable
USB-C to C cable
USB-C to A cable
Quick set up guide

Specifications:
Dimensions (with stand) (H × W × D): 61.4 cm × 54.8 cm × 25.7 cm (24.2 in. × 21.6 in. × 10.2 in.)
Weight (with stand): 7.68 kg (16.9 lb.)

Warranty:
4 years
18 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2012
4370 posts
4552 upvotes
Toronto
does it have the integrated camera?

so basically its like the 4K 28" Lenovo but with USB-C, 10bit panel, 4 year warranty and better stand for $120 more. not bad
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2003
1849 posts
735 upvotes
Ottawa
I've had this monitor for a few months now (bought it as an Amazon warehouse return) for $410 or so. Decent IPS display for the money though there are some caveats:
  • If want 4k 60Hz over USB-C the built in hub must run at 2.0 speeds, otherwise you'll get 30Hz running USB3
  • USB-C docking is handy if you have a newer notebook/tablet (was using this feature until I got a Surface dock)

No built in webcam or speakers (there is audio out to hook up a pair of speakers). For business use this monitor is a decent value (the USB-C dock is handy especially with the built in LAN). Some may find a 27" 4k a bit small on the text but it comes down to sitting/viewing distance from the screen and how good your eyesight is. If anyone has questions feel free to ask.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
4177 posts
2701 upvotes
Ottawa
hi guys, can you daisy chain two monitors over one cord out of the pc to this thing?

Trying to just run one cable to desk in center of room taped to floor.. seems this needs power and video input.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8003 posts
2337 upvotes
Toronto
shylok wrote: hi guys, can you daisy chain two monitors over one cord out of the pc to this thing?

Trying to just run one cable to desk in center of room taped to floor.. seems this needs power and video input.
You need a dock if laptop. Another video card if desktop.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2004
2670 posts
835 upvotes
Winnipeg
If my laptop doesn't have USB-C, does that render the USB-C dock useless?
Sep 16, 2012
727 posts
585 upvotes
Toronto
So I use this monitor at work, and everything is fine- but the built in ethernet is trash, it always drops in and out.

Also rate limited to 300mbps in case you wanted to use that + 4k60Hz.
[OP]
Sep 14, 2017
90 posts
182 upvotes
shylok wrote: hi guys, can you daisy chain two monitors over one cord out of the pc to this thing?

To my knowledge, daisy chaining will not work for 4K monitor. You can only power up to 1 4K display using a single DisplayPort connection (in this case via USB-C DP alt-mode).

If you really want to daisy chain, you'd have to resort to 2560x1440 for both displays. Refer to https://www.displayport.org/cables/driv ... rt-output/ for more info
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10643 posts
7231 upvotes
surrealillusion wrote: I've had this monitor for a few months now (bought it as an Amazon warehouse return) for $410 or so. Decent IPS display for the money though there are some caveats:
  • If want 4k 60Hz over USB-C the built in hub must run at 2.0 speeds, otherwise you'll get 30Hz running USB3
  • USB-C docking is handy if you have a newer notebook/tablet (was using this feature until I got a Surface dock)

No built in webcam or speakers (there is audio out to hook up a pair of speakers). For business use this monitor is a decent value (the USB-C dock is handy especially with the built in LAN). Some may find a 27" 4k a bit small on the text but it comes down to sitting/viewing distance from the screen and how good your eyesight is. If anyone has questions feel free to ask.
Any chance that you might have details of the following?
  • Black uniformity
  • Grayscale uniformity
  • Post calibration WB dE and colour dE
  • AdobeRGB gamut and volume coverage
  • Input lag and response time chart (not just GtG)
The published specs on Philips' website look decent...but hoping to see what the rest of the measurements are like...
Dec 2, 2017
8 posts
3 upvotes
I wonder what scaling factor people use on 27 inch 4k monitor? I personally use a 27 inch 2k monitor with 100% scaling and find it most comfortable.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1657 posts
558 upvotes
Toronto
ewonchang wrote: I wonder what scaling factor people use on 27 inch 4k monitor? I personally use a 27 inch 2k monitor with 100% scaling and find it most comfortable.
I do 200. I did 175% once, but I think since it's not a good multiple, certain fonts in certain places get fuzzy. 200% is pretty sharp everywhere.
Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus Tuf OC RTX 3090 | G.Skill Ripjaws 48GB DDR4-2666 | CM StormTrooper | 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 + NVMe 970 Pro 512GB | ASRock X99 Extreme4
| Noctua NH-D15 | ASUS PG27UQ + Dell P2715Q
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2013
1316 posts
1077 upvotes
Montr
For monitors do we save anything to buy in-store at Costco ?
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2003
1845 posts
160 upvotes
Vancouver
Desperadude wrote: For monitors do we save anything to buy in-store at Costco ?
This monitor is not available in-store.

GYR8
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2004
2670 posts
835 upvotes
Winnipeg
So I would plug that into my computer's USB-A port and run a USB-C cord from it to my monitor. Then plug my mouse into my monitor and my mouse would work? I'm assuming because it's still actually a USB-A port, that I'd need to use the HDMI cord into my laptop to get the video to work? Or would USB-A have enough bandwidth for everything? Obviously power over USB-C wouldn't work.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8003 posts
2337 upvotes
Toronto
pswart wrote: So I would plug that into my computer's USB-A port and run a USB-C cord from it to my monitor. Then plug my mouse into my monitor and my mouse would work? I'm assuming because it's still actually a USB-A port, that I'd need to use the HDMI cord into my laptop to get the video to work? Or would USB-A have enough bandwidth for everything? Obviously power over USB-C wouldn't work.
Its not going to work. If you want all the features of your monitor to work as you expected, a dock is needed. I thought you have a dock and want to connect it to a laptop that does not have USB-C.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4099 posts
4297 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
LKane1 wrote: I do 200. I did 175% once, but I think since it's not a good multiple, certain fonts in certain places get fuzzy. 200% is pretty sharp everywhere.
I found Windows didn't scale properly at 175% even though I preferred that amount of zoom. Certain menus/parts wouldn't scale properly or look broken. 200% is a lot more reliable (I guess its more common). On my Mac at home (also using 27" 4k) I just went with 200% zoom to keep it consistent.

Some of my co-workers keep it at 100% and I dont get how they can read anything, but they like the extra screen real estate.