Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Philips 271E1S 27 in. FHD IPS Monitor @ $159 (save $30)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2021 4:31 pm
Jun 4, 2012
811 posts
488 upvotes
BC
does this monitor have blue light filtering? reading Philips general website... seems like this is built in but there is no mention of this in the description or specs...
Nov 20, 2017
445 posts
645 upvotes
muffin4life wrote: does this monitor have blue light filtering? reading Philips general website... seems like this is built in but there is no mention of this in the description or specs...
You can also install software that can do this for you -- I use Flux, works great!
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2486 posts
2029 upvotes
Montreal, QC
muffin4life wrote: does this monitor have blue light filtering? reading Philips general website... seems like this is built in but there is no mention of this in the description or specs...
I suspect marketing crap for this. I don't think it is a hardware feature, but rather some software that probably plays with your software setting to decrease blue.

From the product web page:
LowBlue Mode for easy on-the-eyes productivity
Studies have shown that just as ultra-violet rays can cause eye damage, shortwave length blue light rays from LED displays can cause eye damage and affect vision over time. Developed for wellbeing, Philips LowBlue Mode setting uses a smart software technology to reduce harmful shortwave blue light.
Using software only solution, pretty much every monitor can claim lowBlue mode (including my 20yr old CRT) :) Not saying software is bad, just saying, it is not a hardware feature.
[OP]
Mar 2, 2015
156 posts
215 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Emporium wrote: I suspect marketing crap for this. I don't think it is a hardware feature, but rather some software that probably plays with your software setting to decrease blue.

From the product web page: Using software only solution, pretty much every monitor can claim lowBlue mode (including my 20yr old CRT) :) Not saying software is bad, just saying, it is not a hardware feature.
Don’t both Windows and Mac have this? Night mode and night shift?
Dec 8, 2020
36 posts
30 upvotes
Emporium wrote: Also depends on the monitor NATIVE resolution. Many monitors can handle lower and in sometimes higher resolutions than their native resolutions, but the quality of the image will suffer substantially. So that is not truly a good test. Many monitors (like higher end NEC) will even display a message on screen warning that you are not using optimal resolution and image quality may be affected.

Is 2K better on 27" and above, sure.. But you won't typically find 2K monitors @ this price. And your video card will need to support 2K (without coming to a crawl).

Just to note I'm using an r7 260 that I purchased 5 years ago and I can still run games at 60+ fps.
Dec 8, 2020
36 posts
30 upvotes
13inches wrote: I appreciate your experience, it certainly carries the voice of others. However I shall repeat myself for your benefit: 1080p 27" has proven to be fine for me.

I don't "def want 2k for 27+"
For the difference of 50 bucks or so, it is worth it. This isn't a hot deal for a 1080 27. 24 looks great for 1080, but 1440 on 27 looks like an 1080 on a 22in. imo It's 2021 and panel technology is becoming cheaper and cheaper. Since most monitors will last 5+ years its worth it to future proof for a slightly higher res and higher framerate for a relatively small price.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2486 posts
2029 upvotes
Montreal, QC
shawnie53 wrote: Don’t both Windows and Mac have this? Night mode and night shift?
Yes they do. But it is all marketing hype when a monitor advertises something specific for it, when they have done nothing in the hardware to accomplish this, and all they probably do is flick on the Night Light mode :)
KimiRai wrote: Just to note I'm using an r7 260 that I purchased 5 years ago and I can still run games at 60+ fps.
Great.. And I have GTX1080 on one of my PCs and an Nvidia Quadro P2200 in the other and would have no issue either. BUT, I know many people do not have discrete graphics cards (new or old). Many have basic machines and laptops which have nothing more than the integrated intel onboard graphics. There is no way most of them (older that 4 yrs), would be able to handle 2k or 4k without getting bogged down (assuming it is even a supported mode).
Feb 12, 2012
2 posts
Coquitlam, BC
Thanks, ordered one for dad, just to have bigger fonts.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5509 posts
2124 upvotes
Debtario
bobor wrote: I have an older Samsung TN monitor with an oddball size and resolution of 19inch and 1440x900.

Would this be a noticeable upgrade or should I be looking for something b with even higher resolution?
Depends on your usage. For gaming FHD is a sweet spot for performance on older or budget hardware. If it's for productivity, more resolution always helps.

For reference, there were 32" 1440p monitors for as low as $200 before the holidays, will likely come back around again.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
May 2, 2008
2456 posts
1244 upvotes
Mississauga
M1K3Z0R wrote: Depends on your usage. For gaming FHD is a sweet spot for performance on older or budget hardware. If it's for productivity, more resolution always helps.

For reference, there were 32" 1440p monitors for as low as $200 before the holidays, will likely come back around again.
Reqlly? Where? 1440p? Low 200?
Vinh
If you're going to hate, Get off RFD!
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5509 posts
2124 upvotes
Debtario
vinnie1990 wrote: Reqlly? Where? 1440p? Low 200?
Lenovo C32q-20, been as low as $198 through perkopolis. It has been on/off sale since November. Plenty of old threads about this monitor:

lenovo-canada-lenovo-c32q-20-31-5-inch- ... b-2433229/
lenovo-canada-c32qc-20-31-5-inch-qhd-cu ... 7-2430541/
lenovo-canada-very-hot-210-w-epp-lenovo ... 0-2416718/

Otherwise there is the LG 32" 1440p that is $290 any day of the week at Costco.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Dec 8, 2020
36 posts
30 upvotes
bobor wrote: I have an older Samsung TN monitor with an oddball size and resolution of 19inch and 1440x900.

Would this be a noticeable upgrade or should I be looking for something b with even higher resolution?
There wouldn't be much of a resolution change simply because the ppi is the pretty much the same. However, you will enjoy a much larger screen estate.
http://displaywars.com/19-inch-16x10-vs-27-inch-16x9
Dec 8, 2020
36 posts
30 upvotes
prodacc wrote: You can also install software that can do this for you -- I use Flux, works great!
Agreed. I prefer flux over any onboard blue filters.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
2209 posts
398 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
May I assume its audio port is outputting only instead of built-in speaker(s)?
Are they good for younger kids studying from home?
Thanks.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
41976 posts
6619 upvotes
Thanks OP! May pick one up for a family member to use with their new gen Macbook Air.
Proud to be an Indian.
Dec 20, 2004
2486 posts
2029 upvotes
Montreal, QC
ma678 wrote: May I assume its audio port is outputting only instead of built-in speaker(s)?
Are they good for younger kids studying from home?
Thanks.
I don't think they have any speakers, so usually it is an audio jack which outputs the audio from the HDMI. You can plug in a set of amplified speakers to the output to get sound if you want. Will probably work with a set of headsets also.

Should work fine for kids studying from home. I have a basic HP V272 27" FHD for each of my teens who are studying from home and no complaints from either of them. I have them each mounted on a wall mount stand in front of their desk with a small extendable arm for adjustability. On my son's unit, I also have a set of Bose Companion 2 Series III speakers connected to the Audio out jack, and he loves them.
This monitor is pretty similar.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
41976 posts
6619 upvotes
Is this also available in stores too?
Proud to be an Indian.
147 posts
64 upvotes
KimiRai wrote: For the difference of 50 bucks or so, it is worth it. This isn't a hot deal for a 1080 27. 24 looks great for 1080, but 1440 on 27 looks like an 1080 on a 22in. imo It's 2021 and panel technology is becoming cheaper and cheaper. Since most monitors will last 5+ years its worth it to future proof for a slightly higher res and higher framerate for a relatively small price.
I agree. I have a 27 inch, 1440p monitor. Once I seen what 1440P looks like (esp with gaming), its hard to reduce the resolution. Everything is just not as sharp at 1080p.
However, 13inches is correct. 27', 1080p is okay and perfectly usable.
Just do not use a 27' 1440p and expect to be content (or unaware of the different) with a 27', 1080p monitor.
For $50 dollars, and if your computer can run 1440p, def go with a 1440p. The difference is noticeable.
[OP]
Mar 2, 2015
156 posts
215 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Been using for a few days now. It’s a very good monitor. Very thin and responsive. Color reproduction is solid. Granted, if you get within 2-3 inches you start seeing some pixel detail, but overall for the price it’s a solid buy. Note only one HDMI port.