Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Philips Turbostar Airfryer with 2-layer rack - $149.97

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2019 9:24 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
4583 posts
1251 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks! It seems like it's just more of an kitchen product for smaller things or side dishes or appetizers... :( Maybe need to go for the XXL version.

@peji911 It was just 2 months ago in Dec I think
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2004
5077 posts
2788 upvotes
Edmonton
peji911 wrote: How long go? That's a no brainer purchase.
The wife says the Philips cooks more evenly, but the T-fal is larger. Both seem to do a decent job overall though. Everytime one of these deals get's posted, there's endless concerns about how large/small these things are, why are they called fryers when there is no oil, etc, etc.

It's a small convection oven basically. The air can travel underneath the items cooking, so it's much more even to heat things up. Its 100% the best thing out there to cook small meats, chicken nuggets or other frozen foods you'd heat in an oven. We do pork, small steaks, chicken breasts, whatever. As long as it fits, it goes in there.

They are all basically the same in some sense, but the basket design and air flow varies depending on the brand. The Philips seems better quality than the others, but the t-fal was a great deal at around $70 if you just want to try one out.

I will say, we don't have a pressure cooker to compare, so I'd imagine some things might be better cooked in one of those, but we havent gone down that route yet.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
4583 posts
1251 upvotes
Toronto, ON
U4IA wrote: The wife says the Philips cooks more evenly, but the T-fal is larger. Both seem to do a decent job overall though. Everytime one of these deals get's posted, there's endless concerns about how large/small these things are, why are they called fryers when there is no oil, etc, etc.

It's a small convection oven basically. The air can travel underneath the items cooking, so it's much more even to heat things up. Its 100% the best thing out there to cook small meats, chicken nuggets or other frozen foods you'd heat in an oven. We do pork, small steaks, chicken breasts, whatever. As long as it fits, it goes in there.

They are all basically the same in some sense, but the basket design and air flow varies depending on the brand. The Philips seems better quality than the others, but the t-fal was a great deal at around $70 if you just want to try one out.

I will say, we don't have a pressure cooker to compare, so I'd imagine some things might be better cooked in one of those, but we havent gone down that route yet.
Thanks for the review and insight - Gives me a realistic understanding of what to expect I can cook in it. Going to buy one to try for smaller things. I think for this price and Philips as a brand name, it'll be a good buy.

We have a small Breville oven for toasts, smaller things, big kitchenaid oven, and the instant pot. All serve a different function in our kitchen and family, and we use all of it for different things. I wasn't so sure about how the Philips air fryer would fit into our lineup of cooking tools/gadgets but I can see it's functionality. In our lives, convenience and cleanup is a big factor.

Yes, the $70 Tfal was a great buy but also for $150... I'd prefer an overall more even fry.

Now...time to consider an Anova sous machine one day lol.

Thanks OP, thanks @U4IA
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7576 posts
575 upvotes
York
I’ve had a few air fryers that have this shape and I’m not a fan of the design. The food tastes fantastic but it starts sticking to the metal mesh after a few days of use. I got the Tfal Actifry now and it’s amazing. Spins your food for you, non stick teflon coating. All it takes is a rinse and nothing sticks to it. Highly recommend
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7576 posts
575 upvotes
York
I’ve had a few air fryers that have this shape and I’m not a fan of the design. The food tastes fantastic but it starts sticking to the metal mesh after a few days of use. I got the Tfal Actifry now and it’s amazing. Spins your food for you, non stick teflon coating. All it takes is a rinse and nothing sticks to it. Highly recommend
Banned
Nov 29, 2015
1424 posts
524 upvotes
Brossard, QC
Any tips on how to wash it? It is very annoying to wash it and I have to use brush to get the meat off it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5918 posts
7339 upvotes
Stryker14 wrote: I'm having trouble understanding how much you can fit in this thing, especially after reading reviews. How many chicken beasts could you fit on one layer for example?
2 chicken breast, or 4 drumsticks or 2 quarter pounder burgers.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2007
1283 posts
865 upvotes
ironic_chef wrote: I don't have this model but I looked at a few air fryers, and decided on the Ninja Air Fryer from Costco for $109. It's selling at Crappy Tire for $189 and on Amazon for $170.

The Ninja has a digital interface for temperature and time while the Philips has a dial. They're about the same size, the Ninja's a little lighter.

In addition to what the prev poster said, air fryers cook an amazing steak.
Thanks. Went with this instead
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5918 posts
7339 upvotes
I've had this for two years and majority of my meals are cooked in it. Burgers, chicken drumsticks, fries, hot dogs, even roasted veggies. I even made an omelette in a bowl.

It's quick and easy and for me the biggest benefit is that there is no oil spill/spray mess to clean up after "frying".

I buy chicken drumsticks and coat it with egg and spices and no bread crumbs. Comes out super crispy...... Now I'm hungry.

Clean up is a bit of a chore but I only do it once a month. The basket and net comes out so I soke it and wash it with a sponge. The main container with all the drippings just gets wiped. Do note, that I don't try to make it spotless, just clean enough.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2009
1058 posts
281 upvotes
Hamilton
ironic_chef wrote: I don't have this model but I looked at a few air fryers, and decided on the Ninja Air Fryer from Costco for $109. It's selling at Crappy Tire for $189 and on Amazon for $170.

The Ninja has a digital interface for temperature and time while the Philips has a dial. They're about the same size, the Ninja's a little lighter.

In addition to what the prev poster said, air fryers cook an amazing steak.
Ho much can you fit in this one?
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2006
1197 posts
115 upvotes
dankup wrote: I’ve had a few air fryers that have this shape and I’m not a fan of the design. The food tastes fantastic but it starts sticking to the metal mesh after a few days of use. I got the Tfal Actifry now and it’s amazing. Spins your food for you, non stick teflon coating. All it takes is a rinse and nothing sticks to it. Highly recommend
Im the complete opposite. The paddle mushes up chicken nuggets so that all the crumbs fall off and you are left with burnt crumbs and dried up chicken pieces. The paddle is good for french fries but not steak or anything breaded as it will get mushed by the paddle.
On Koodo $40/6gb plan.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2004
5077 posts
2788 upvotes
Edmonton
wxw2015 wrote: Any tips on how to wash it? It is very annoying to wash it and I have to use brush to get the meat off it.
I agree, the metal mesh in the Philips is a bit tricky to clean. We just soak it and the basket, and use a bristle brush to clean it out. But if the food was really fatty, it does tend to stick frustratingly. I'd imagine since it has more holes in it, is why it cooks a bit better than the t-fal. But the t-fal is def easier to clean with it's non stick.

Pros and cons to each for sure... Most of the non-stick frying pans we have, don't seem to last that long - but since there's not as much scraping, maybe it will hold up better.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1968 posts
1430 upvotes
Toronto
This is one amazing deal tbh,... more than 50% off MSRP
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
4583 posts
1251 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Pulled the trigger, thank you :) Can't wait to try it out.
Jan 31, 2007
512 posts
341 upvotes
dankup wrote: I’ve had a few air fryers that have this shape and I’m not a fan of the design. The food tastes fantastic but it starts sticking to the metal mesh after a few days of use. I got the Tfal Actifry now and it’s amazing. Spins your food for you, non stick teflon coating. All it takes is a rinse and nothing sticks to it. Highly recommend
Not a fan of high heat + non stick Teflon coatings. PFOA is pretty bad stuff. So, in this case, the wire rack from the Philips will work better for me.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7576 posts
575 upvotes
York
bonita! wrote: Im the complete opposite. The paddle mushes up chicken nuggets so that all the crumbs fall off and you are left with burnt crumbs and dried up chicken pieces. The paddle is good for french fries but not steak or anything breaded as it will get mushed by the paddle.
I just take the paddle out unless it’s chicken thighs or fries
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
4583 posts
1251 upvotes
Toronto, ON
dankup wrote: I just take the paddle out unless it’s chicken thighs or fries
What paddle are you guys talking about? Soz
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
7385 posts
3678 upvotes
GTA
fatestkid wrote: I've had this for two years and majority of my meals are cooked in it. Burgers, chicken drumsticks, fries, hot dogs, even roasted veggies. I even made an omelette in a bowl.

It's quick and easy and for me the biggest benefit is that there is no oil spill/spray mess to clean up after "frying".

I buy chicken drumsticks and coat it with egg and spices and no bread crumbs. Comes out super crispy...... Now I'm hungry.

Clean up is a bit of a chore but I only do it once a month. The basket and net comes out so I soke it and wash it with a sponge. The main container with all the drippings just gets wiped. Do note, that I don't try to make it spotless, just clean enough.
There's no reason why i can't trust a review from the "Fatest Kid" about fried food on a fryer!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7309 posts
1672 upvotes
Toronto
If you get something with a flat pan rather than mesh; it is very easy to clean. Usually I just use paper towels to wipe the pan. If there is stuff sticking to it then I pour in a bit of water and soap then run the unit for a few minutes on high.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8205 posts
5717 upvotes
dankup wrote: I just take the paddle out unless it’s chicken thighs or fries

You can take the paddle out of the Actifryer?!?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)