Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Philips Turbostar Airfryer with 2-layer rack - $149.97

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2019 9:24 pm
Apr 2, 2008
702 posts
363 upvotes
What is the difference between this fryer and an oven?
Save a lot but end up spending more :confused:
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2004
5077 posts
2788 upvotes
Edmonton
bluewish wrote: What is the difference between this fryer and an oven?
As mentioned, this is basically a convection oven. You can get a full sized convention oven, one of these, or even a toaster oven style convention. They're all the same - they move hot air rapidly to decrease cook times. This one is just smaller, so it heats up and cooks faster. If you had to heat up your full size oven and cook, this thing would prob already be half done cooking.

Nothing more magical that that...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9467 posts
2643 upvotes
Decent manufacturer, online complaints (including Costco.ca) say's it's too small (perhaps comments were from unsatisfied women?). Will wait for the big brother to hopefully someday clear instead.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3951 posts
2856 upvotes
Toronto
----------
Last edited by drz400 on Jul 25th, 2022 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2004
5077 posts
2788 upvotes
Edmonton
CoolDudeClan wrote: A regular convection oven will get "restaurant quality wings" that taste fried as said earlier? I thought this was different somehow. As in misted them with oil or something. I don't know anything about these obviously.
There's no frying or oil involved - the 'fryer' part is 100% misleading advertising - prob aimed to be a healthy alternative to a deep fryer. These do great for wings though. We get the Costco ones and load this thing up with them.
Jul 29, 2016
355 posts
259 upvotes
Toronto
Good deal. Also checked US Costco site, price is USD$99, someone bought in store for USD$90.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7576 posts
575 upvotes
York
honggil wrote: What paddle are you guys talking about? Soz
The one that came with the air fryer that spins the food. I have the very first model, the one that doesn't have a temperature setting or a display clock
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7576 posts
575 upvotes
York
BigJonsson wrote: You can take the paddle out of the Actifryer?!?
Talking about the spinny thing that spins the food
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10407 posts
1122 upvotes
Toronto
heres a Philips XXL SIZED. only at yorkdale. at williams sonoma store.

http://www.williams-sonoma.ca/philips-x ... ryer-black

but its only $440.00.. so as a previous poster mentioned, buy two.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3361 posts
1989 upvotes
CoolDudeClan wrote: A regular convection oven will get "restaurant quality wings" that taste fried as said earlier? I thought this was different somehow. As in misted them with oil or something. I don't know anything about these obviously.
This is what ConsumerReports concluded when they tested a dozen of air fryers including the big-brother of this one:
Staffers were not told which cooking method was used for each food, yet everybody could tell which foods were deep-fried. While none of the air fryers duplicated deep-fried results, they all turned out nicely cooked food.
So you will get "restaurant quality wings" that taste baked
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8205 posts
5717 upvotes
dankup wrote: Talking about the spinny thing that spins the food
Yes, I have one

I didn't know you could remove the paddle :o
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7576 posts
575 upvotes
York
BigJonsson wrote: Yes, I have one

I didn't know you could remove the paddle :o
Haha just pull up on it!
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
2293 posts
1413 upvotes
Kamloops, BC
dsweetlou wrote: Regarding cleanup, it was suggested in the best buy Insignia air fryer thread to use parchment paper. Great tip!

Insignia air fryer thread
Thats better for cleanup but you'll lose part of the convection function. The hot air is supposed to circulate through the basket and back up. Its not just for fat to drip through.
Banned
May 15, 2016
7020 posts
2490 upvotes
The ninja has 5/5 reviews whereas the Philips only got 2/5. Isn't the ninja a better deal?
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3361 posts
1989 upvotes
vivibaby wrote: The ninja has 5/5 reviews whereas the Philips only got 2/5. Isn't the ninja a better deal?
FWIW, the ninja is one of ConsumerReports's recommended Air fryers, while the Philips is not.
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Jan 25, 2007
424 posts
272 upvotes
Whitby
If you have the counter space and need more functions, I just picked up one of these in-store for $199.99:

https://www.costco.ca/Cuisinart-Air-Fry ... 32002.html

Been very impressed with wings and fries so far, plus it is awesome for baking/toasting/reheating. My oven crapped out so this is a nice replacement for now.
Dec 22, 2009
207 posts
116 upvotes
YYC
Not available in NW YYC so, I came back with the t-fal actifryer, can't say it will beat up my broken deep fryer but, at least cleaning is easier. I eat fried smashed plantain and the first results yesterday weren't impressive, will keep trying before smashing it to the wall.
Aug 5, 2015
153 posts
251 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I have the digital version for 3-4 years now.

Even tho it says not to put any oil in it, i do put just slightly (maybe a teaspoon of oil), It is much less than deep frying but taste similar to frying. Otherwise, like other posters here... no oil = this thing is a convection oven

I put frozen hasbrown patties, chicken, I even cook bacon in it (no oil added). GIve you the crispy feeling of bacon and you can see all the residual fat that comes out of it after... :)

In terms of cleaning... it is Dishwasher safe. I have been sticking it in the dishwasher every time after i use it. (For stuff thats stuck to the grill, use a brush).

The grill bucket seems fine after 4 years through many dishwasher cycles. altho the paint is peeling off from inside the big container basket.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)