Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Philips Turbostar Airfryer with 2-layer rack - $149.97

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2019 9:24 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3361 posts
1989 upvotes
Unresphek wrote: I dont own this product yet and i dont know about fellow RFDers but i dread cleaning mesh baskets. Too much work cleaning.

Does either the ninja or tfal or philips comes with a useful alternative?
ConsumerReports have the Ninja as #3 in their list of 14 tested air fryers, the Philips is near the bottom.
About the Philips:
This air fryer is on the noisier side, and cleaning the nooks of the basket can be a chore,
About the Ninja:
Cleaning the inside and outside of this fryer is fairly easy, but it's on the noisy side. The fan is as loud as a countertop microwave, so you'll hear it running.
I'm sure the engineers at Ninja are all deaf, everything they build is noisy!
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7279 posts
1818 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
death_hawk wrote: Do I just have different standards or have I received 3 defective air ovens in a row?

Nothing I've made that's "grill" worthy has come out anything short of anemic or hilariously overcooked but nicely browned.

My experience no way invalidate yours. Just a matter of opinion.

It did take me time to fine tune my process over the years. But now I can consistently make steaks to my satisfaction.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31267 posts
17274 upvotes
Unresphek wrote: Does either the ninja or tfal or philips comes with a useful alternative?
I don't own a ninja or tfal, but the Philips has a regular wire rack that makes more sense than a basket.
It won't do tiny foods like fries, but those don't make enough of a mess anyway.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31267 posts
17274 upvotes
bogolisk wrote: Your tongue is too high-maintenance, break up with her and get a new one. In this millennium, a Big-Mac is a gourmet dish. You're asking too much.
Screw that. I like good food.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Oct 15, 2008
654 posts
170 upvotes
London
If I have the tfal actifry, are these going to work the same or better, primarily for frozen food and making things crispy.
Jan 31, 2007
512 posts
341 upvotes
Quick review. Received mine on Thursday. Only received the single layer rack, not the double. From the picture it would be a waste of time anyhow because the height between the bottom and upper rack would be like 2 inches.

So far have done wings (13 min), fries (15 min but I crowded it a bit) and bacon (10 min), all at 350C from a cold setting. Fries you have to give it a shake half way but otherwise tasty stuff.

Oh, because I don’t read manuals I thought the mesh thingy was a splatter screen (it’s actually the base for you to put the rack on). But you know what? It works as a great splatter screen. I’m going to keep using it that way. Sure the rack is easily unbalanced but it doesn’t make a difference in the basket anyhow.

Super easy to clean, with the wings causing the rack to be a bit sticky caused I used an agave and fish sauce marinade. A 10 min soak in hot water and it came off. Don’t know why people are complaining. Stainless steel is a great material for cooking as it’s durable and hygienic.

Think I’ll keep this. Will try spring rolls later this weekend.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31267 posts
17274 upvotes
Temujin1 wrote: Only received the single layer rack, not the double. From the picture it would be a waste of time anyhow because the height between the bottom and upper rack would be like 2 inches.
None of these things make any sense for double racks.
Even a single layer in every air oven I've used has an anemic backside.
Trying to cook in 2 layers would result in a burnt top layer, 2 raw inner layers, and a cooked but not browned bottom layer.
Mar 25, 2008
150 posts
10 upvotes
Oakville
I just bought the Philips HD9220/29 Viva Collection Airfryer with Rapid Air Technology at Homsense today on clearance for $111.00 before I found this thread. I'm deciding weather to return my purchase and buy the turbostar model from Costco. Is it worth the extra $39? I'm thinking it might be for the extra rack.
Oct 30, 2008
117 posts
35 upvotes
Niagara Region
This YouTube video is a great overview of the Ninja Air Fryer. I'd already purchased mine when I watched this but I didn't read the manual, so it was helpful to see the other features explained.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2013
1119 posts
1184 upvotes
AB
made some fries from a russet potato, pretty impressed
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10407 posts
1122 upvotes
Toronto
for people thinking of buying a air fryer. this is the better option.

Cuisianart air fryer oven / convection. plenty of space. down fall you have to stir / flip your food. but no big deal for the extra space.

so if your looking at a air fryer go with this option, I find what they have on the markert are too small for any family of 2 or more.

https://www.costco.ca/Cuisinart-Air-Fry ... 32002.html
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31267 posts
17274 upvotes
akito925 wrote: for people thinking of buying a air fryer. this is the better option.
My only real complaint is that it's an analog timer.
It's not accurate enough for cooking small things.

Otherwise it's better than my original Philips and no name knock off.

Still not a fryer, but it makes a fantastic oven.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
2293 posts
1413 upvotes
Kamloops, BC
akito925 wrote: for people thinking of buying a air fryer. this is the better option.

Cuisianart air fryer oven / convection. plenty of space. down fall you have to stir / flip your food. but no big deal for the extra space.

so if your looking at a air fryer go with this option, I find what they have on the markert are too small for any family of 2 or more.

I dunno. From the YouTube reviews it doesnt seem to cook very even.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2006
4917 posts
17519 upvotes
TORONTO

Yep, this is a hidden gem. Larger capacity and also doubles up as a smaller oven so you don’t need to use the regular one for smaller jobs.

It does a better job than the Phillips and TFal IMO.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31267 posts
17274 upvotes
ssjlancer wrote: From the YouTube reviews it doesnt seem to cook very even.
It doesn't cook evenly, but neither has any other air oven I've ever used.
Jul 11, 2017
960 posts
1278 upvotes
If you have a convection oven don't waist your money on one of these gimmicks!
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2010
4583 posts
1251 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Bella125 wrote: If you have a convection oven don't waist your money on one of these gimmicks!
we have both and it's similar but a little different... like there is a certain "convenience" and "speed factor" and certain foods that do somehow cook better or re-heat better with the air fryer.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31267 posts
17274 upvotes
Bella125 wrote: If you have a convection oven don't waist your money on one of these gimmicks!
To be fair, this is faster than a full sized convection oven.
I can be eating before my real oven heats up.
Jan 3, 2012
741 posts
338 upvotes
great white north
Well, now that I have both the airfryer and a Breville convection oven I tend to use the air fryer for any meat products, steak, chicken etc as cleaning up is so much easier without the oil splattering all over the inside of the oven. I will be getting a second air fryer for my trailer after having looked into that cuisineart combo unit
Feb 10, 2008
790 posts
660 upvotes
sorry for bumping an old thread but I can't seem to click the Philips airfryer product page on Costco.ca anymore :S it worked a week ago does anyone know if Costco no longer sells these?