• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2022 8:34 pm
Tags:
Newbie
Nov 9, 2021
15 posts
20 upvotes
Pro tips from a Brazilian guy:

Each picanha should weight no more than 1.5kg, unless it's fancy stuff like wagyu (that could go up to 2.5kg). So for a pack of two, you should get no more than 3kg. Anything over that would be considered a more chewy part of the sirloin and it's not good. Cut should end on the 3rd vein (Minute 3 of this video:
You should look for a reasonable fat cap, but not overly excessive. Look at the video above.
Ideal steak is 2 inches and better fire grilled. Pan seared on cast iron with garlic butter a close second.
Steaks needs to be cut against the grain. Should look like this: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/M8ZAxDelSRM/hqdefault.jpg. The bottom smaller cuts should be on the thicker part of the picanha. The one in the picture it's called a "right side" picanha, the "left side" the smaller cuts would start at the other side of the base of the triangle, because that's where the thicker fat cap would be.
Jr. Member
Mar 3, 2009
132 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
Time to dry age this baby in peanut butter
Newbie
May 5, 2020
83 posts
52 upvotes
smacd wrote: Cap steak has been our go to beef for a few years. Terrific value and some in our family prefer it to tenderloin.
Cap steak is quite pricey, I don't think they have it here in Canada. They sell them in the US costco and last I checked it was a pack of 2, roughly a pound piece and it was like almost $60 cdn for the pack. They taste terrific though. Tenderloin is terrible. Im not sure why its so over priced
Newbie
May 5, 2020
83 posts
52 upvotes
JeebusIron wrote: Picked up 2 at Vancouver location, still about 6 left.
Thrifys every so often has Top Sirloin cap for sale (they just advertise top sirloin but the cap is also same price), like maybe every 3 weeks for 7.99$ an lb so the price isn't exactly a door crasher, plus you can get the butcher to custom cut it for you. The costco ones are usually one big piece
Newbie
May 5, 2020
83 posts
52 upvotes
danfromwaterloo wrote: I have turned so many people on to this steak. It is truly every day steak. The price is great and the flavour is amazing. If you go to Costco and buy a ~$50 package of the top sirloin, whole, you can pretty easily carve it up into 15-20 steaks. Not little tiny steaks either. Substantial steaks for $3 a pop. Before you grill it or sear it, make sure you salt it well on either side and leave it to sit room temperature for at least a half hour. Then, season and grill/sear.

BTW, the giant cap of fat? Leave it on the steak. When it cooks, it doesn't turn into gristle, this cut of steak turns into a butter that is like bacon. It's actually the best part of the whole steak. Trust me. Try it.
I primarily eat bone in prime rib and picanha is quite a nice change. Picanha, if cooked right is very delicious. Cook it till its in the border over rare- med rare and rest that thing wrapped in foil for 10 minutes, damn its good. It can get really tough though if its cooked wrong since theres not much marbling inside, but what stands out is the deep beefy flavor in comparison to prime rib. I get my butcher to custom cut me an inch and a half steaks untrimmed, so depending on the cow, theres fat on both sides
Newbie
May 5, 2020
83 posts
52 upvotes
Consequence wrote: Best value for beef in my opinion.
very good value. An underrated one too is blade steak, but its hit or miss. Sometimes you'll see a very marbly cut and its delicious if its cooked perfect. But its few far in between finding a really great cut
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
11783 posts
5704 upvotes
Ohhhh..... One or my favorite cuts.

I'll just leave these here.
Images
  • IMG_20210228_165909.jpg
  • IMG_20210228_175338.jpg
  • IMG_20210228_175529.jpg
  • IMG_20210228_182736.jpg
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2012
3772 posts
3225 upvotes
ffonly wrote: Yes they did. Nice thick piece
Never bought these before... But from YouTube, it seems the pieces should be no more than 2.5" thick and no more than 2 pounds? Otherwise you are getting more of the less tender portion of sirloin?
Newbie
Nov 17, 2010
52 posts
30 upvotes
Picanha is different from other steaks. Always cut it with the grain so you will be cutting against the grain on your plate! Also remember to cut the silver skin off.
Last edited by LscAndrew on Jan 17th, 2022 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newbie
User avatar
Apr 6, 2009
30 posts
1 upvote
Must be time to go to bed. Was intrigued and excited to see that Costco was selling piranha....
Newbie
Nov 25, 2020
96 posts
68 upvotes
jucadrp wrote: Pro tips from a Brazilian guy:

Each picanha should weight no more than 1.5kg, unless it's fancy stuff like wagyu (that could go up to 2.5kg). So for a pack of two, you should get no more than 3kg. Anything over that would be considered a more chewy part of the sirloin and it's not good. Cut should end on the 3rd vein (Minute 3 of this video:
You should look for a reasonable fat cap, but not overly excessive. Look at the video above.
Ideal steak is 2 inches and better fire grilled. Pan seared on cast iron with garlic butter a close second.
Steaks needs to be cut against the grain. Should look like this: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/M8ZAxDelSRM/hqdefault.jpg. The bottom smaller cuts should be on the thicker part of the picanha. The one in the picture it's called a "right side" picanha, the "left side" the smaller cuts would start at the other side of the base of the triangle, because that's where the thicker fat cap would be.
excellent video. I find the Costco ones not well trimmed as the ones shown in the video (or those we can buy back in Brazil), and sometimes the fat layer is inconsistent, but the meat is still pretty good and for the price, it can't be beaten.

I had a butcher in Calgary cut those for me a couple of times in the past, prime 'Berta beef, had to explain how to cut it (I wish I had that video) but always turned out pretty well. Only downside is that they would often refuse to do more than one, for each picanha (1.5 kg) they ended up with 10+kg of other steaks to sell.
Newbie
Aug 21, 2018
53 posts
116 upvotes
Anyone find any in Toronto?

Whichever legends can make it out of their driveway of course today!
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3773 posts
3527 upvotes
Toronto
RossC77290 wrote: Anyone find any in Toronto?

Whichever legends can make it out of their driveway of course today!
You can call them and ask. Queensway usually has it, as do the ones in Mississauga.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 14, 2003
10777 posts
792 upvotes
Mississauga
RossC77290 wrote: Anyone find any in Toronto?

Whichever legends can make it out of their driveway of course today!
Most of the west end Costcos have it. I've seen it in Etobicoke, Brampton, Mississauga (Dixie/Dundas) and Mississauga (Laird). It's usually about $45-50 for two in a pack.
4chan melts your brain.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
3084 posts
2101 upvotes
Consequence wrote: Best value for beef in my opinion.
My vote would be for Entrana. Can be difficult to cook, but once you get that perfect cut and slow-charcoal cook that bad boy to perfection IMO it's got a far better flavour than even ribeye, for a fraction of price. mmmmmmn
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
2352 posts
687 upvotes
Vaughan
Is this regular price or is it discounted? Love this and always grab it when I'm out.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3773 posts
3527 upvotes
Toronto
razrsharp wrote: My vote would be for Entrana. Can be difficult to cook, but once you get that perfect cut and slow-charcoal cook that bad boy to perfection IMO it's got a far better flavour than even ribeye, for a fraction of price. mmmmmmn
Slow?

I cook this on very high heat (lump charcoal) always comes out nice and tender. I do leave the membrane on though, so crispy and crunchy when you do it on high. Price wise its slowly been climbing and I can only find it at $10.99lbs.
Last edited by WMPCOT on Jan 17th, 2022 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
3084 posts
2101 upvotes
WMPCOT wrote: Slow?

I cook this on very high heat (lump charcoal) always comes out nice and tender. I do leave the skin on though, so crispy when you do it on high. Price wise its slowly been climbing and I can only find it at $10.99lbs.
Well slow relatively speaking. I try to find the thickest cuts possible, sear over coal and slow down the cooking as much as possible to get that beef nice and tender. I get what you're saying tho - it's not like slow cooking ribs or pulled pork, it's just slow for steak lol
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3773 posts
3527 upvotes
Toronto
razrsharp wrote: Well slow relatively speaking. I try to find the thickest cuts possible, sear over coal and slow down the cooking as much as possible to get that beef nice and tender. I get what you're saying tho - it's not like slow cooking ribs or pulled pork, it's just slow for steak lol
Okay I get you now. I'm more of a high heat and cook it the same amount as any other steak. Do you leave the membrane on? If not give that a try once. I know most people remove it for some reason here but if you're in Argentina or Uruguay it's always left on for that crunch!

The cut is also great for tacos!

Top