• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2022 8:34 pm
Tags:
Nov 25, 2015
128 posts
136 upvotes
Montr
razrsharp wrote: My vote would be for Entrana. Can be difficult to cook, but once you get that perfect cut and slow-charcoal cook that bad boy to perfection IMO it's got a far better flavour than even ribeye, for a fraction of price. mmmmmmn
Are you referring to skirt steak (bavette for the francophones)? Great flavor profile but overcook it and it gets chewy. It seems that it's been quite popular here in QC and readily available.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3773 posts
3527 upvotes
Toronto
Lokoseena1 wrote: Are you referring to skirt steak (bavette for the francophones)? Great flavor profile but overcook it and it gets chewy. It seems that it's been quite popular here in QC and readily available.
Yes, more specifically outside skirt.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
3076 posts
2094 upvotes
WMPCOT wrote: Okay I get you now. I'm more of a high heat and cook it the same amount as any other steak. Do you leave the membrane on? If not give that a try once. I know most people remove it for some reason here but if you're in Argentina or Uruguay it's always left on for that crunch!

The cut is also great for tacos!
Love me some crunchy membrane lol
Nov 1, 2009
612 posts
371 upvotes
Terrebonne
Wish it's this price in Montreal. Just ate my last picanha yesterday.

Am I the only one who doesn't eat the fat cap?

When properlly cooked, the fat is actually great when ate by itself, but there is some kind of silverskin between the meat and the fat that makes it uneatable
Deal Fanatic
Jan 26, 2003
5102 posts
513 upvotes
just got back from costco and doing my duty to report back to RFD ...

picked up one sirloin cap roast for ~ 40 bucks at 12.99 a kilo. Good deal. maybe around 4-5 left at surrey, bc Most are around 40-43 bucks each.

they have larger cuts of sirloin tip roast at 10.99 a kilo. they have ~ 6-7 left. Most cuts are ~ 58-62 bucks each.

all are vacuumed packed as you see from rfd'er pics

I probably should pick up one of those tip roasts too, price is great and my father-in-law does old school roasts right and the kids love the gravy he makes.
He .... looka lika MAN!
I tell you every ting!
----------------------------------------------------
If you haven't figured it out yet ... i'm not a female. Have you ever watched MADtv?
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2008
1769 posts
670 upvotes
About 10-15 packs in Burlington tonight.
Deal Guru
Sep 14, 2003
10774 posts
766 upvotes
Mississauga
yannakm wrote: Wish it's this price in Montreal. Just ate my last picanha yesterday.

When properlly cooked, the fat is actually great when ate by itself, but there is some kind of silverskin between the meat and the fat that makes it uneatable
I think most people don’t eat the fat cap but they should. Specifically the outside of the fat cap, furthest from the meat. You’re right that there’s a silver skin that makes the close fat tough and inedible. The outside of it though is maybe the tastiest part of the whole steak. It’s on par with chicken skin or pig crackling.
4chan melts your brain.
May 10, 2008
934 posts
904 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Which one of you went and bought a bunch from the downtown Vancouver location today? Smirking Face

My mom said she saw someone with like 10 of these in their cart this afternoon. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Oct 24, 2010
755 posts
708 upvotes
Toronto
This cut was one of my favorites at Brazilian steakhouses (churrascarias).
May 14, 2012
391 posts
78 upvotes
PICKERING
For those in the east GTA, I have found Picanha at Ajax Costco from time to time. It's really hit and miss.

For the person who asked about skirt steak...never seen that at the Ajax Costco and also never seen any flat iron steaks either.
Apr 29, 2017
105 posts
67 upvotes
Burnaby
Just wondering if this can be left in the bag as is to wet age for a month?
Nov 17, 2003
495 posts
60 upvotes
I've found these in the K-W Costco's and even in the winter the price seems higher lately. The cheapest I've seen is $43 with some for $57! You guys out west have it cheap!
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3773 posts
3527 upvotes
Toronto
Tolo wrote: I've found these in the K-W Costco's and even in the winter the price seems higher lately. The cheapest I've seen is $43 with some for $57! You guys out west have it cheap!
It was the same price in the GTA, specifically in Ancaster and Mississauga in my case.
May 22, 2017
249 posts
164 upvotes
Normally most of Costco have them. You just need to be there early morning otherwise the butchers slice them up.

Keep in mind that any longer than 28cm you are not eating Picanha but sirloin roast. So my advice is to buy the lightest packages with the smaller pieces.
Just an opinions who has worked on the largest 2 Brazilian meat producers for few years.

In ON, Ajax always have them but you can find them also in North York location as well as Scarborough.

In QC, I recently found them in Boucherville and St-Bruno location. And yes for $12.99!!! That’s cheap man!

Because it’s winter, I cut them in one or hlf inch and roast them in my Ninja AirFryer! So juicy!!!! If you don’t eat fat, cut it after it’s been roasted!!
Last edited by ldovale on Jan 25th, 2022 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 20, 2006
49 posts
19 upvotes
yannakm wrote: Wish it's this price in Montreal. Just ate my last picanha yesterday.

Pointe Claire had some yesterday
Jan 12, 2009
132 posts
61 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
They usually have this at NW Vaughan. I will check and see the price next time I go, but highly recommend this cut. I Sous Vide for 6-8hrs at 135 and everyone loves it.
Sep 12, 2004
292 posts
244 upvotes
Burnaby
settons wrote: They usually have this at NW Vaughan. I will check and see the price next time I go, but highly recommend this cut. I Sous Vide for 6-8hrs at 135 and everyone loves it.
What do you put in the sous vide bag? Do you trim into steaks first? Do you sear after?
Jan 12, 2009
132 posts
61 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
alym wrote: What do you put in the sous vide bag? Do you trim into steaks first? Do you sear after?
Usually I just season with Meat Church Holy Cow rub and seal it. Once it is done cooking I sear on a cast iron pan for about 45 sec per side.

It is important that when you butcher it, that you cut with the grain and leave the thick fat on.

Good luck!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)