• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2022 8:34 pm
Tags:
Oct 21, 2006
890 posts
373 upvotes
Picanha is not good unless properly cooked.

Does anyone know where to find carne asada?
costcos in USA sell it, but haven't seen any in Canada.
Feb 29, 2016
516 posts
386 upvotes
Ottawa
Did a reverse sear on my Slow 'n Sear kamado last night in the snowstorm....couldn't believe how tender and delicious it was! Light dry-brined with sea salt the night before, let it come up to room temp for an hour and then a bit more salt, cracked pepper and garlic powder. Better than any tenderloin or ribeye I've cooked yet!
May 13, 2010
477 posts
204 upvotes
Ottawa
I've never been to Brasil but enjoy Argentinian and Columbian beef. Can someone explain the difference ?
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3773 posts
3527 upvotes
Toronto
qabloona wrote: I've never been to Brasil but enjoy Argentinian and Columbian beef. Can someone explain the difference ?
It's just the cut really the beef is AAA Canadian.
Sep 12, 2004
292 posts
244 upvotes
Burnaby
settons wrote: Usually I just season with Meat Church Holy Cow rub and seal it. Once it is done cooking I sear on a cast iron pan for about 45 sec per side.

It is important that when you butcher it, that you cut with the grain and leave the thick fat on.

Good luck!
Anywhere local to get meat church?
Jan 13, 2016
193 posts
347 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
Hood_Rep wrote: Picanha is not good unless properly cooked.
Neither is <insert cut here>
Dollar Stores 4 LIFE~!
Jan 12, 2009
132 posts
61 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
alym wrote: Anywhere local to get meat church?
I'm in the GTA and I order from Dickson BBQ....they ship across Canada
Jan 12, 2009
132 posts
61 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
Confirmed that they had it at NW Vaughan location and the price was $12.99/kg
Aug 31, 2017
87 posts
304 upvotes
Vancouver
miss_swan wrote: just got back from costco and doing my duty to report back to RFD ...

picked up one sirloin cap roast for ~ 40 bucks at 12.99 a kilo. Good deal. maybe around 4-5 left at surrey, bc Most are around 40-43 bucks each.

they have larger cuts of sirloin tip roast at 10.99 a kilo. they have ~ 6-7 left. Most cuts are ~ 58-62 bucks each.

all are vacuumed packed as you see from rfd'er pics

I probably should pick up one of those tip roasts too, price is great and my father-in-law does old school roasts right and the kids love the gravy he makes.
There were 4 packs left, average price $50, at the Van Downtown Costco today after 4pm. Six before I got there ;)
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
4121 posts
701 upvotes
Toronto
Picked two at Ajax Costco , but they were small, $35 packs. Prefer bigger ones.
Apr 27, 2021
139 posts
143 upvotes
Are these good for steak? CAn someone share images of it cooked?
Oct 17, 2012
448 posts
582 upvotes
Quebec
fmlydeals wrote: Are these good for steak? CAn someone share images of it cooked?
They are great for steaks
Jan 21, 2019
177 posts
160 upvotes
fmlydeals wrote: Are these good for steak? CAn someone share images of it cooked?
Best for steak! Perfect combo of tenderness with a touch of chew (filets are too soft, but still delicious), and beefy taste due to a hard-working muscle. Render and brown that fat cap first, then the other sides will be cooking in the rendered beef fat. Can't go wrong with a pat of butter near the end with crushed garlic and a fresh herb basting.

Probably has been said, but slice the steaks WITH the grain, as when you're eating it, your knife slices will be against the grain.
Mar 8, 2010
431 posts
350 upvotes
Foothills
Plenty available at Costco - Sarcee

No sign to identify them....
Images
  • Picanha.JPG
Feb 29, 2016
516 posts
386 upvotes
Ottawa
targa88 wrote: Plenty available at Costco - Sarcee

No sign to identify them....
They're not labeled as "picanha" at my local store but "cap steak" instead.
Oct 17, 2012
448 posts
582 upvotes
Quebec
RetiredRFDer wrote: They're not labeled as "picanha" at my local store but "cap steak" instead.
They are never labeled picanha at Costco
Feb 10, 2021
104 posts
69 upvotes
Tell me what I did wrong here: cut into 1” steaks (with the grain). Salt both sides with kosher salt, vacuum seal and sous vide for 1hr at 133deg. After sous vide, sear/brown all sides in cast iron pan.

I found the fat had zero flavour (unlike a New York strip or rib eye where the fat taste amazing). The steak was pretty soft but the flavours didn’t amaze me.

I will try again on my charcoal grill, but this time maybe use Montreal steak spice or something.
Mar 4, 2009
330 posts
203 upvotes
Waterloo
polski68 wrote: He has his own YT. Salty Tales. I think they must have had a falling out
Not falling out apparently:
You might have notice lots of new SVE episode are currently being filmed at home. Reason is, we as business partners (Me and Ninja) decided we could run our entire business operations remotely from home. So for that reason episodes are currently being filmed in my location which happens to be over an hour away from him.

This has not been previously addressed by me because we have been adapting and adjusting to changes and the channel is about cooking, I don’t want to fuel any kind of drama where it simply doesn’t exist.

No, I did not fire Ninja!

No, I did not have a fight with Ninja.

We actually still work together but remotely!

No, I never said I won’t invite him again!

Much love to you all and see you on the next video.
Nice find OP. Thumbs up!