• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2022 8:34 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
6411 posts
2497 upvotes
Montreal
Hood_Rep wrote: Picanha is not good unless properly cooked.

Does anyone know where to find carne asada?
costcos in USA sell it, but haven't seen any in Canada.
I mean, most meat isn't good unless properly cooked.

Carne asada translates to "grilled meat"; it's not a cut of beef. Skirt or flank steak is typically used for carne asada. You can get flank steak at RCSS:

https://www.realcanadiansuperstore.ca/f ... 1219128_KG
https://www.realcanadiansuperstore.ca/c ... 0802464_KG
Deal Fanatic
Jan 26, 2003
5102 posts
513 upvotes
RetiredRFDer wrote: They're not labeled as "picanha" at my local store but "cap steak" instead.
true

"picanha" = Sirloin Cap 12.99 a kilo
"insert cool brazilian name here" = Sirloin Tip 10.99 a kilo

iirc, at costco, currently.
He .... looka lika MAN!
I tell you every ting!
----------------------------------------------------
If you haven't figured it out yet ... i'm not a female. Have you ever watched MADtv?
Feb 29, 2016
516 posts
386 upvotes
Ottawa
EAK47x wrote: They are never labeled picanha at Costco
Yes and No. My local Costco sometimes sells packs labeled as "seasoned picanha steaks" but the unseasoned ones don't use that Brazilian name.
Oct 21, 2006
890 posts
373 upvotes
psyko514 wrote: I mean, most meat isn't good unless properly cooked.

Carne asada translates to "grilled meat"; it's not a cut of beef. Skirt or flank steak is typically used for carne asada. You can get flank steak at RCSS:

https://www.realcanadiansuperstore.ca/f ... 1219128_KG
https://www.realcanadiansuperstore.ca/c ... 0802464_KG
It may be skirt, butterfly thin cut. I don't know where to get this in Canada.
https://cheftalk.com/media/imageproxy-p ... or.126863/
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2008
1674 posts
703 upvotes
GTA
Bought some at Costco on Thursday in Etobicoke. Cooked them last night! They were delicious...
Images
  • IMG_8288.jpeg
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
4451 posts
1234 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
kyledig5 wrote: I will try again on my charcoal grill, but this time maybe use Montreal steak spice or something.
I always cook it whole now to desired temp, usually brisket style as wife doesn't like it "bloody"Face With Rolling Eyes

Let it rest 20 minutes then slice.

If you prefer classic 120-130 you'll have to slow cook to desired temp (120-130) then sear it off. Good luck, plenty of videos
Images
  • ad_3_1642607769383.jpg
Mar 7, 2011
68 posts
114 upvotes
Cosmopolitan Surrey
Surrey BC had a bunch Thursday mid-day, in together with some Top Sirloin Centre at same price. Going on the grill this evening!
Oct 21, 2006
890 posts
373 upvotes
jucadrp wrote: You can do your own fairly easily:

this was informative, and provocative Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

but is it flank or skirt?
Nov 26, 2016
251 posts
172 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Just picked up a $36 package at Willingdon Costco about 2:45pm today. Saw about another 8 packages varying sizes, most $40+. Can't wait to try it!
Yesterday I checked in the afternoon (I live like 10 mins drive away) and the butcher guy told me they only had 6 in and gone by the time I checked in afternoon.
Jan 22, 2020
65 posts
52 upvotes
ericlewis91 wrote: Bought some at Costco on Thursday in Etobicoke. Cooked them last night! They were delicious...
I believe you cut your steak wrong?
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
2216 posts
1772 upvotes
Surrey
Invincible15 wrote: I believe you cut your steak wrong?
He did it right

“ Cutting picanha into steaks

Placing it fat side down will make for an easier slice. When cutting a whole picanha into steaks, it’s important to always cut with the grain. Let’s repeat that. Always cut with the grain. That is, cut the meat in the same direction as the fibres. This will probably go against everything you know about steak, but trust us – once cooked and rested, what really matters is the final cut of the steak, which will be sliced against the grain for maximum tenderness”
Dec 19, 2006
811 posts
774 upvotes
Vancouver
ffonly wrote: He did it right

“ Cutting picanha into steaks

Placing it fat side down will make for an easier slice. When cutting a whole picanha into steaks, it’s important to always cut with the grain. Let’s repeat that. Always cut with the grain. That is, cut the meat in the same direction as the fibres. This will probably go against everything you know about steak, but trust us – once cooked and rested, what really matters is the final cut of the steak, which will be sliced against the grain for maximum tenderness”
Lol, no, you completely misunderstood what you quoted. You cut with the grain when you're MAKING STEAKS out of the sirloin cap. This is because when you cut the finished steak into bite size pieces, the face of the cut will be AGAINST the grain, hence making it more tender. In the picture, those slices were cut with the grain, meaning the steaks were made cutting AGAINST the grain.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 26, 2003
5102 posts
513 upvotes
ericlewis91 wrote: Bought some at Costco on Thursday in Etobicoke. Cooked them last night! They were delicious...
Looks great ...
He .... looka lika MAN!
I tell you every ting!
----------------------------------------------------
If you haven't figured it out yet ... i'm not a female. Have you ever watched MADtv?
Oct 17, 2012
448 posts
582 upvotes
Quebec
ocisnicola wrote: Lol, no, you completely misunderstood what you quoted. You cut with the grain when you're MAKING STEAKS out of the sirloin cap. This is because when you cut the finished steak into bite size pieces, the face of the cut will be AGAINST the grain, hence making it more tender. In the picture, those slices were cut with the grain, meaning the steaks were made cutting AGAINST the grain.
This is it. The final cut (delicious piece going in your mouth)of a picanha steak needs to be against the grain, so when cutting the big piece, it needs to go with the grain
Feb 10, 2021
104 posts
69 upvotes
What’s the recipe for that green sauce?