Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Pioneer VSX-935 7.2 av receiver - 699.97 or 499.97(YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2023 2:58 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2003
5261 posts
1618 upvotes
SK
ES_Revenge wrote: Really? That's pretty good!
I asked when I bought my Onkyo from the US and again once they started carrying the Pioneer in-warehouse.
Apr 19, 2020
752 posts
1209 upvotes
langley
kingest_kong wrote: See…I keep hearing the same thing about Onkyo receivers and I’ve had two of them for the last ten years now with zero issues…
My Onkyo from 5 years ago never had a problem. Kids use it touch it on and off 10 plus times a day no problems
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2014
1508 posts
1634 upvotes
Toronto
Pioneer SC-95 for 10 years. No issues. :)
Aug 28, 2015
140 posts
298 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
The majority of Onkyo receivers were good except some had the HDMI cards fail

It was related to poor quality capacitors. I had a problem with mine and had to remove and solder around 10 or 12 capacitors with good quality ones to get functionality back. And it still works - 14 years.

As far as the pioneer listed by OP it is a good price. If you really need one get it. The other option is to go with the Sony 7.2 abs 5.2 receivers Costco has online that are cheaper and quality is unquestionable.
Jul 30, 2011
625 posts
914 upvotes
Durham region
I have an onkyo 797 and the sound and usability is god awful compared to my 15 year old Yamaha.
Aug 24, 2009
852 posts
504 upvotes
Mississauga
Just buy it and try it out yourself. Might be perfect for most people and Costco return policy is the perfect backstop.

I imagine receivers at Costco aren’t selling as most people are okay with sound bars or (God help them) built in speakers.

Would try it myself but got the 3800h on the 25% code that was around before Xmas.
Oct 3, 2006
22 posts
24 upvotes
I saw them yesterday at Costco Richmond Hill, how does this model compare to a Denon S760H?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2003
5261 posts
1618 upvotes
SK
Kingsmen wrote: The majority of Onkyo receivers were good except some had the HDMI cards fail

It was related to poor quality capacitors. I had a problem with mine and had to remove and solder around 10 or 12 capacitors with good quality ones to get functionality back. And it still works - 14 years.

As far as the pioneer listed by OP it is a good price. If you really need one get it. The other option is to go with the Sony 7.2 abs 5.2 receivers Costco has online that are cheaper and quality is unquestionable.
Onkyo had a special warranty for the HDMI card issue. They paid to pick it up and either offer a credit towards a new one from them or fix it. I got my TX-NR515 I bought in 2013 fixed at no cost back in 2019.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2004
5077 posts
2788 upvotes
Edmonton
incongruent wrote: I have an onkyo 797 and the sound and usability is god awful compared to my 15 year old Yamaha.
You can't really compare just the brand when talking about receivers. I had a mid level yamaha, and it was like a toy compared to the onkyo it replaced. Replaced it with a pioneer elite, and it was 100x better. Picked up an old 90s yamaha for my turntable, and its built like a tank.

I find generally the higher end models will be pretty consistent, but its the mid level receivers that seem to vary year to year, even within the same manufactures. Sometimes they cut costs on transformers,etc and then next year maybe up the specs again.

Its unfortunate Pioneer got bought out, but this is one is pretty much an Onkyo TX-NR6100. Price is decent enough.
Mar 20, 2004
124 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
iceheat710 wrote: I saw them yesterday at Costco Richmond Hill, how does this model compare to a Denon S760H?
Wondering the same. The S760H can be had for $600 every day, refurbished from Denon direct (free shipping/returns), and appears to be the goto receiver for budget builds requiring 4k120hz HDMI.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1128 posts
821 upvotes
I purchased both the DH790 and the
Vsx -935. I ended up returning the Sony to
Amazon. It was a wear house deal for $430 (there seems to be lots of 790s in the wearhouse, if price is important to you ).

Both are competent receivers. The Sony
is very basic. Configuration options are bare bones, but the necessities are there. You can adjust each speaker level as well as the bass and treble. The Pioneer gives you a full blown 5band EQ for each channel, which is awesome.

The Sony does not have wifi or Ethernet. So there are no steaming features that way. It does have Bluetooth though and I suspect that’s good enough for a lot of people. The Pioneer on the other hand has all sorts of streaming sources integrated as well as chrome cast and airplay, which is what 99 percent will use I assume.

Oddly enough, I could swear the Sony has a more powerful amp. I had to turn up the Pioneer a fair bit more to get the same level. Not a big deal though, both are plenty powerful.

Initial set up is 10x easier with the Pioneer. The Sony menus look like they ported the code from my Commodore 64. However, once you’ve got it setup, who cares?

The Pioneer allows for two subs whereas the Sony is just one. Probably irrelevant to most people.

Both can do second room speakers and both can do bi-amping. Reddit claims it’s useless. I have no idea, but it might be fun to try.

Both have eARC and both have been a tad wonky with my Hisense Lastertv. I’ve heard that’s common though. The Pioneer all of a sudden lost eARC to the Hisense (or visa versa??) and I had to reset the Pioneer to get it back. No idea why.

IIRC, the Pioneer can pass through 8k whereas the Sony can’t. Don’t quote me though.

The Pioneer has 1080p to 4k upscaling. I have no idea how to enable it nor have I seen any improvement with the 1080p series x dashboard.
The 790 doesn’t do upscaling

In terms of room correction, I cant tell the difference between the two receivers. So I’ll Leave that as is.

The Pioneer doesn’t have the shitty spring posts on the back whatsoever. The Sony only has Banana Plugs for the front LR. Not a huge deal as most people will no doubt set it and forget it, but if you swap speakers a lot or move often, it might be an issue.

The Sony is definitely lighter and smaller.

Both can do Atmos - W two channels on the ceiling or front or back.

Both remotes are complete shit.

This is big for me - the Pioneer will transmit to Bluetooth headphones with Aptx, so in theory
You could watch tv or game without noticeable lag.
I have doubts about the games, but that’s handy for late night viewing.

The pioneer has super simple firmware updates. You click and it’s done. The Sony needs a usb stick.

At $699 (pioneer) v $599 (Sony), it’s a no brainer - Pioneer wins. However, if you can get the Sony for $430 in the wearhouse it’s a toss up IMO, as I don’t think the pioneer is worth $300 extra- for my use at least. I went with the Pioneer because @ $699 you get a second year of warranty (or more??) whereas you’re basically **** with Amazon etc.
The Pioneer has been retailing for $1100 elsewhere , so it’s a darn good deal regardless.

There’s a bunch of stock at NE Calgary of the Pioneer @699
Apr 26, 2011
21 posts
135 upvotes
nattie6_6 wrote: Wondering the same. The S760H can be had for $600 every day, refurbished from Denon direct (free shipping/returns), and appears to be the goto receiver for budget builds requiring 4k120hz HDMI.
Main benefit for me was that the zone 2 is dedicated separately from the 7 speakers... I've got in home speakers that I'm planning to use that for. Haven't set up to confirm it works the way I want to try.
Aug 28, 2015
140 posts
298 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
shopper-X wrote: Onkyo had a special warranty for the HDMI card issue. They paid to pick it up and either offer a credit towards a new one from them or fix it. I got my TX-NR515 I bought in 2013 fixed at no cost back in 2019.
I wish I knew that, mine is the TX-SR706, I think I got it in 2009 or 2010. I had fun fixing it though lol was rewarding…
Mar 7, 2011
23 posts
13 upvotes
Edmonton
There were five left at the St. Albert location after I picked one up.
Mar 24, 2004
533 posts
64 upvotes
Brampton
I've not seen at Brampton or Mississauga (Heartland)
Nov 26, 2012
18 posts
17 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Just picked one up from Oakville location. They now have 4 left. Thanks to all for comments on this unit and OP for posting. I was looking for one to buy and was shopping in the 1k range.

Confirmed none in Mississauga Heartland location.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)