Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Pioneer VSX-935 7.2 av receiver - 699.97 or 499.97(YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2023 2:58 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2003
1018 posts
114 upvotes
Hamilton
Coresu wrote: Pioneer SC-95 for 10 years. No issues. :)
sure if you want to live with 10 year old technology
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
6138 posts
2941 upvotes
Kanata
hamdude_1234 wrote: sure if you want to live with 10 year old technology
Meh, receivers aren't exactly at the top of the must get latest and greatest list.

Anyone seen it in Ottawa? Thanks
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
11149 posts
3859 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Bidjaan wrote: I beg to differ.... at this price they will clear out. At 899.99, 999.99 and 949.99, they were too close in pricing to the competition which were a better choice. With the price increases in A/V equipment, and Costco return... it's a no brainer for a budget AV receiver.
lol people have different definitions of budget, for me that would be $200 :P perhaps 250-350 with the inflation, but $700 a is budget receiver?! maybe in the audiophile world...

The VSX-534 would be the entry level, budget unit
hamdude_1234 wrote:
sure if you want to live with 10 year old technology
Tabooger wrote: Meh, receivers aren't exactly at the top of the must get latest and greatest list.

Anyone seen it in Ottawa? Thanks
Right? I looked up the specs for that SC-95 and I don't see anything that outdated to warrants an updated model
Has internet connectivity, 4k, Atmos...even class D (why so big?? it's not like it needs huge heatsinks) amplification whereas most receivers would use the older inefficient class AB
Last edited by Daijoubu on Mar 16th, 2023 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
11149 posts
3859 upvotes
Montreal, QC
setTopbox wrote:
The Pioneer doesn’t have the shitty spring posts on the back whatsoever. The Sony only has Banana Plugs for the front LR. Not a huge deal as most people will no doubt set it and forget it, but if you swap speakers a lot or move often, it might be an issue.
IMO proper crimped ferrule is superior to banana plugs and less bulky, that's what I did for my spring post but you are limited to 18AWG (for spring terminals) so you may have to trim it a bit if you use thicker gauge cables

Last edited by Daijoubu on Feb 28th, 2023 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2014
1508 posts
1634 upvotes
Toronto
hamdude_1234 wrote: sure if you want to live with 10 year old technology
What's changed since? It supports DTS:X and Dolby Atmos, has a great amp and all the preouts with support for up to 11.2 but 9,2 natively. The only thing that the receiver doesnt support is Dolby Vision passthrough (only HDR) which was an easy fix with an HD Fury AVR key to split the video and audio perfectly. The receiver handles audio tasks only and the video directly to the tv instead.

What's worse is that I dont think any new receiver has a quality Class D amp that Im aware of anymore. All the Elites now are VSX which are historically class AB amps. The digital ICE amps of the SC line are very nice which stay nice a cool comparably. Sound signature is a subjective thing.
Last edited by Coresu on Feb 28th, 2023 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
11149 posts
3859 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Coresu wrote: What's changed since? It supports DTS:X and Dolby Atmos, has a great amp and all the preouts with support for up to 11.2 but 9,2 natively. The only thing that the receiver doesnt support is Dolby Vision passthrough (only HDR) which was an easy fix with an HD Fury AVR key to split the video and audio perfectly. The receiver handles audio tasks only and the video directly to the tv instead.
8k, 4k120hz? But those are not mainstream yet, are they even standardised yet?
And eARC, VRR? etc, but those are not universally compatible so it's a moot.

I'm in the minority and have a slim VSX-S520, waiting for the next iteration to upgrade, no way in hell I'm going to buy a chunky AV receiver that looks like it came from the 90s, so ugly lol
The Marantz slim line are OK but class-AB and still bulkier than I'd like (also worried about heat)
Last edited by Daijoubu on Feb 28th, 2023 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2014
1508 posts
1634 upvotes
Toronto
Daijoubu wrote: 8k, 4k120hz? But those are not mainstream yet, are they even standardised yet?

I'm in the mintority and have a slim VSX-S520, waiting for the next iteration to upgrade, no way in hell I'm going to buy a chunky AV receiver that looks like it came from the 90s, so ugly lol
The Marantz slim line are OK but class-AB and still bulkier than I'd like (also worried about heat)
If you're gaming that would make sense for those features, but if you're just watching movies, those features would be less useful. Even then, you could spend much more replacing the AVR or just let it handle the audio duty and use something from HD Fury like the Arcana to give you all the features you are missing if your tv supports them as well.

HD Fury Arcana

Audio intself hasnt changed as much as video itself. We're pretty much still Dolby Atmos and DTS:X and probably for the foreseeable future.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2012
1290 posts
2034 upvotes
Terrebonne
Just got 1 in Boisbriand, 699$. 6 left.
Bidjaan wrote: Not in the East... I was at Guelph couple days ago and was $949.99. The word is out, so watch the inventory move as it gains traction. Your logic is just wishful thinking lol. You buy it, and price adjust if it does indeed go lower. Guarantee you they will clear out.

Also, not all Costco's carry it. Kitchener and Waterloo both have never carried it.
They don't price match between Costco warehouses?
Aug 24, 2009
852 posts
504 upvotes
Mississauga
FWIW - I had a SUPER annoying EARC issue between my Sony 1080 receiver and my Samsung QN90 - the receiver would get confused and open the default home menu everytime it got an EARC signal from the TV. Never an issue with Sony-Sony with my previous X900F. With Harmony remotes gone the way of the dodo, smooth EARC is kinda important for household acceptance. That HD Fury thing looks super cool though.

I lived with it for a year but after a few beers one night it was either through the remote through the TV or buy a new receiver with multiple 2.1 ports for my Xbox X, PS5, and HTPC. The Denon discount code popped up and that was that. The Sony is back with the Sony in the basement. :)
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2008
1132 posts
822 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah I don't know what it is about the eARC implementation, but the gear I have with eARC have all kinds of mild, annoying issues. Not sure if it's my Sony OLED or my Yamaha AVR, but I get random stuff happening fairly frequently. Usually it's a faint audio pop/dropout about once an hour, or there's no audio at all, although this only happens once in a blue moon. Some of my older gear though, ARC has been pretty flawless, and HDMI ARC and CEC work like 99.9999% of the time.

Back to OPs AVR, with sky-high prices these days, this Pio seems to be a good price for a well-featured top model from the entry-level line from Pioneer. You'd be hard-pressed to find another 7.1 8K receiver at this price point right now.
Aug 24, 2009
852 posts
504 upvotes
Mississauga
Still 4 at Oakville/Laird at 7:30 this evening.
Jan 3, 2022
194 posts
373 upvotes
6 left in Sherwood park (Edmonton area)
Guys can you help set up this thing?
Sep 19, 2003
285 posts
327 upvotes
Winnipeg
Got the last one (display model) at the McGillivray location in Winnipeg for $599.
Will nicely replace my Yamaha RX-V371 that I've had for 11 years.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2005
1144 posts
309 upvotes
Mississauga
iceheat710 wrote: I saw them yesterday at Costco Richmond Hill, how does this model compare to a Denon S760H?
I have both and the pioneer is easier to use. The app is better on the pioneer. Pioneer EQ is much more user friendly so the pioneer sounds better. Denon has like 3 apps vs pioneer has everything in one app. Pioneer is much larger. Neither do HDMI or optical to zone 2.
Aug 27, 2010
144 posts
176 upvotes
Québec, Canada
Is this good for new house ceiling speakers setup or overkill?
Jan 16, 2022
7 posts
Saw at Dartmouth Costco Sunday. Were a couple there
Last edited by nuttshell on Mar 10th, 2023 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: words
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2012
1290 posts
2034 upvotes
Terrebonne
Daijoubu wrote: 8k, 4k120hz? But those are not mainstream yet, are they even standardised yet?
All those things are standardized. 8K isn't mainstream yet (will be a while), but the Xbox Series S/X, Playstation 5 and recent PCs/GPUs can all do 4k120 and VRR. Lots of mid-end and up TVs in the last 3 years or so support this.

eARC actually has been around for a few years now, and used to send Atmos audio to your receiver from a smart TV or the devices plugged into your tv.

Point being, for someone that uses 2 speakers and isn't a gamer, there's no point. But if you like a good surround set up, got 5+ speakers , and especially if you're a gamer that cares even a little about the visual experience of gaming, and perceives stutter, HDMI 2.1 is a huge improvement.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2014
1508 posts
1634 upvotes
Toronto
daftfunk wrote: I have both and the pioneer is easier to use. The app is better on the pioneer. Pioneer EQ is much more user friendly so the pioneer sounds better. Denon has like 3 apps vs pioneer has everything in one app. Pioneer is much larger. Neither do HDMI or optical to zone 2.
You mean the calibration? MCACC? I think it does a decent job but I find it sets the sub too low and ditto with the atmos height speakers. Easily fixed by adjusting those manually to taste afterwards.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2008
1132 posts
822 upvotes
Toronto
allaire wrote: Is this good for new house ceiling speakers setup or overkill?
How is it overkill? Do you mean should you get a 5 channel AVR instead? Do you need HDMI 2.1?

I’d avoid a 5 channel amp bc Atmos is all the rage and if you already have ceiling speakers than you actually have the ideal setup for Atmos and should totally utilize 5.1.2.

Honestly HDMI 2.1 is completely useless if you don’t game at all or ever will. So in that sense yes it can be considered overkill.

But what are your other options?
Aug 27, 2010
144 posts
176 upvotes
Québec, Canada
TH3R wrote: How is it overkill? Do you mean should you get a 5 channel AVR instead? Do you need HDMI 2.1?

I’d avoid a 5 channel amp bc Atmos is all the rage and if you already have ceiling speakers than you actually have the ideal setup for Atmos and should totally utilize 5.1.2.

Honestly HDMI 2.1 is completely useless if you don’t game at all or ever will. So in that sense yes it can be considered overkill.

But what are your other options?
No need for HDMI 2.1, but I like the fact that it has AirPlay, Bluetooth, etc. New to this ceiling speakers game. I saw Sonos has an option, but it's expensive as hell and AFAIK you can't put too many speakers on it.