1837 posts
199 upvotes
London- wonderland had plenty yesterday
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
10103 posts
2738 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Simo wrote: Anyone use one of these indoors? Does it give off a gas smell or best not to use inside?
ToDealHunter wrote: Yes we use this butane stove all the time indoors to do Hot Pot. No gas smell.

Also amazing stoves for emergency situations like power outage or camping trips.
Not supposed to without proper ventilation, burning butane indoor releases CO which is odorless and can be harmful or even kill you in an enclosed space.

ALL these portable units are rated for outdoor uses only lol
I'll just stick to an induction stove, this is for car camping or backyard cooking.
For backpacking, there are more compact, lighter alternative with even higher BTU outputs.
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
1079 posts
325 upvotes
Toronto
Just a tip for hotpotting, the butane canisters are liquid and expands into a gas to be burned, which makes the canister super cold. As it gets cold, it loses the ability to evaporate the liquid, and you will notice a BTU decrease. You may even think the bottle is empty, but it isn't, it's just cold. So just keep rotating warm and cold canisters until they are actually empty. I will rotate between 4 to 6 of these half full or close to empty canisters during one hot pot session.
buffylover wrote: im pretty sure thincrust hates you
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
6112 posts
2454 upvotes
Canuckland
That's regular price in the asian grocery stores
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
5374 posts
1549 upvotes
Kanata
Guys, spend more and get an induction cook top for indoor usage. Can't believe some of you want to use this indoors without ventilation!
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2010
1418 posts
750 upvotes
Toronto
Daijoubu wrote: Not supposed to without proper ventilation, burning butane indoor releases CO which is odorless and can be harmful or even kill you in an enclosed space.

I'll just stick to an induction stove, this is for car camping or backyard cooking.
For backpacking, there are more compact, lighter alternative with even higher BTU outputs.
Lol...buddy people being using this for decades with out any issue. Winter time (just furnace ventilation) more than 10 people in the dinning room no problem at all.

We are talking about a small butane canister no about a normal size propane tank.

Also, when I mentioned camping yes I mean (and is obvious) car camping. Who in the right mind is going to take this heavy stove to backpacking?
Last edited by ToDealHunter on Jan 28th, 2021 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 18, 2013
239 posts
250 upvotes
Saw this at Markham east and picked one up as having problem with my old one... solid deal imo... Nice post OP
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2008
3231 posts
3031 upvotes
Daijoubu wrote: Not supposed to without proper ventilation, burning butane indoor releases CO which is odorless and can be harmful or even kill you in an enclosed space.

This is used all the time in asian restaurants
Nov 10, 2007
274 posts
6 upvotes
Fyi for camping, these do not work in cold temperatures
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1673 posts
686 upvotes
Tabooger wrote: Guys, spend more and get an induction cook top for indoor usage. Can't believe some of you want to use this indoors without ventilation!
If you're that concerned, just run the hood fan over your stove, or crack a window.

It's fine. We do this for hot pot all the time (like so many other people). I have CO and smoke detectors and they've never been set off by one of these. You're only running the flame for an hour or so anyway.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2006
1401 posts
375 upvotes
reneki wrote: Fyi for camping, these do not work in cold temperatures
Isn't that the same for propane?
Jun 13, 2017
571 posts
369 upvotes
Ajax, Ontario
Nethervue wrote: Isn't that the same for propane?
It does work, but not as well as propane.

Google "propane vs butane" for explanations.
"If you offend the OP instead of thanking him, I will gladly report you for either harassment or off-topic."

ArloCopter
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1331 posts
932 upvotes
Etobicoke
DJ Trance AZ wrote: I was using this to make some fried eggs yesterday in the backyard (so the house doesn't smell) ...
Cause the eggs smell?
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
10103 posts
2738 upvotes
Montreal, QC
pongster wrote: This is used all the time in asian restaurants
But restaurants have proper ventilation for sure, most of them around here have induction stoves though, people do what they want to do, these units are not certified for indoor uses if you read the manual
Nethervue wrote: Isn't that the same for propane?
Nop, butane boiling point is -1C, so when the can gets cold of if it's cold, it remains solid/liquid instead of vaporising.
Propane boiling point is -42C so you can still get it to vaporise at or below 0
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9836 posts
9475 upvotes
Markham
Daijoubu wrote: But restaurants have proper ventilation for sure, most of them around here have induction stoves though, people do what they want to do, these units are not certified for indoor uses if you read the manual

Nop, butane boiling point is -1C, so when the can gets cold of if it's cold, it remains solid/liquid instead of vaporising.
Propane boiling point is -42C so you can still get it to vaporise at or below 0
This is the correct answer. I'll also add that burning Butane can also create Carbon Monoxide if Oxygen is a limiting factor, and CO is odourless. You should not use these units inside, but if you do, make sure you open a window.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
3240 posts
849 upvotes
Toronto
xxxray wrote: Cause the eggs smell?
I meant to say the cooking smell and the oil from frying the eggs.
My Heatware Feedback: Click!
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14201 posts
7967 upvotes
Southern Ontario
For general camping, propane ones are better. Butane is $10/can, 1L propane cannisters are less than a $1 to refill with adapter, been doing it maybe 15y+ now.
Dec 25, 2006
587 posts
457 upvotes
Ottawa
Saw them at the Kanata location yesterday, if anyone was interested.
Jul 7, 2014
223 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Has anyone seen them in the costco Warden location?
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2012
1087 posts
826 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Tabooger wrote: Guys, spend more and get an induction cook top for indoor usage. Can't believe some of you want to use this indoors without ventilation!
Don't think I have ever heard of someone dying from using one of these although the warning label does say not for indoor use, yet a see lots of youtubers demonstrating indoors cooking using one.

Thread about this costco deal is like deja vu, each time it gets posted there is always mention that stores like T&T is much cheaper especially for the canisters.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)