Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Praying Mantis 20$ - Hatch your non-secular army!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2021 8:15 pm
May 2, 2019
723 posts
1866 upvotes
What are the practical uses for them asides from eating pests in your garden?
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2007
2758 posts
1857 upvotes
Niagara On The Lake
Thank you for responding. I have further questions.
EDIT: I thought you meant an insecticide spray. I clicked the link and it was the nematode spray. Where did you buy the nematodes in the fall?

1. What spray do I use ?
2. When do I apply the nematodes? Won't the insecticide spray kill the nematodes?

Thank you kindly.
akz wrote: you can order here - https://www.costco.ca/lawn-guardian-ben ... 35603.html (arrives early April but you should apply around mid/end April)

if you had an infestation last year they have most likely laid eggs underneath. You will need to spray early spring and fall. (Its taken me season and a half to repair the overall damage - you cant repair either until after they've been killed off. Any new seed or grass you try to put down wont grow and it will be really evident in the highly infested areas)
Last edited by StealthFinder on Mar 29th, 2021 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come visit Niagara On The Lake
Voted Prettiest, Friendliest & Most Haunted town in Canada
Support local small business
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2011
1592 posts
1789 upvotes
Vancouver
number8888 wrote: Do you think I need two? One for front and one for the back yard?
How much do I need?
One egg case covers approximately 90 sq. m (1000 sq. ft.)
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
4559 posts
918 upvotes
Toronto
akz wrote: you can order here - https://www.costco.ca/lawn-guardian-ben ... 35603.html (arrives early April but you should apply around mid/end April)

if you had an infestation last year they have most likely laid eggs underneath. You will need to spray early spring and fall. (Its taken me season and a half to repair the overall damage - you cant repair either until after they've been killed off. Any new seed or grass you try to put down wont grow and it will be really evident in the highly infested areas)
Thanks! Ordered 2. One with the sprayer and one without as we have a huge backyard.
Mar 26, 2013
335 posts
280 upvotes
Twin Peaks
9394 wrote: No, just RFD users that are too lazy to click the links or google it.

"Praying Mantis are general predators that feed on aphids, beetles, caterpillars, chinch bugs, Colorado potato beetles, leafhoppers, hornworms, leafrollers, squash bugs, thrips and whiteflies. They feed on what they can catch! They start off feeding on fruit flies and other tiny insects and as they grow so does their prey as a full grown adult grasshoppers are eaten."
They can also show a sense of humor:
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
1442 posts
1065 upvotes
YYC
So much for the honeybee population... One of these can destroy an entire hive
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2013
1460 posts
742 upvotes
dpw198 wrote: Pretty cool. I've also wondered about the lady bugs they sell.

My hesitation is not knowing if they will stay in my yard (probably not) and if they will survive the season.
I've never had good luck with these, but the ladybugs work perfect. They hammer aphids.
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10165 posts
8291 upvotes
Toronto
Are these at all effective against Gypsy Moth (when still in caterpillar form, i would assume)?
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Banned
Dec 31, 2020
40 posts
112 upvotes
haroldliang wrote: What are the practical uses for them asides from eating pests in your garden?
Dude they're bugs, not a babysitter.
Dec 4, 2017
448 posts
614 upvotes
Whitby
Best review ever.

Don't leave in your house
My wife was skeptical that we would see any of the little critters. I forgot about them in the hallway. One day my wife is yelling and jumping up and down like the house is on fire. Turns out they all hatched and took over our dining room curtains. I was popular.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 27, 2015
6972 posts
4953 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I usually grow Peppers, Tomatos and now for the fun of it Cannabis, all in grow bags and usually get an aphid infestation.

Will it matter if the plants are in grow bags, or will I have to try and get 1 of these guys to attach per plant / bag.

Never used them, but seen great reviews for them.

Tia.
Feb 7, 2008
642 posts
396 upvotes
St Catharines
We did this last year and eventually spotted one huge mantis. The kids had a blast feeding it little bugs on a stick. They're completely harmless to humans and pets, and fascinating to watch if you can find them. I never saw them hatch and never spotted more than one.

Here's the instructions for how to place the egg:

The company is Natural Insect Control as the OP mentioned. They're in Stevensville Ontario (near Safari Niagara). They also do nematodes which are used for grub control and are also harmless to humans and pets.
Mobile: Public Mobile Can-US 74 gb, 34$
TV: FTA Antenna (free OTA TV channels, thread)
Home Phone: Freephoneline VOIP + Obi VOIP adapter (free home phone, thread)
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
2087 posts
2433 upvotes
Ottawa
Guys c'mon, our bee population is being decimated and people want **** praying mantises in their gardens? Wake up. Do you geniuses know what happens in a world without pollinators?
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1448 posts
1792 upvotes
iflyplanes wrote: Guys c'mon, our bee population is being decimated and people want **** praying mantises in their gardens? Wake up. Do you geniuses know what happens in a world without pollinators?
[...]
FYI these praying Mantises are native to Canada and you're severely overestimating their impact on honey bees.
Like most RFDers have stated, you're lucky if ever you see 1 or 2 after they hatch.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Mar 31st, 2021 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: removing inappropriate comment
Nov 15, 2014
309 posts
90 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON

Costco is also carrying the new Scott's Grub control here in Toronto. I guess it's chemical free to meet ON rules but it's not cheap. I've tried the nematodes before and no luck, has anyone tried this Scott's product?

I also bought a mantis egg 2 years ago, didn't see any until the end of summer when a huge one was sitting on my patio door :)

Scott's Grub B Gone
Deal Guru
Jul 5, 2001
10104 posts
12725 upvotes
Toronto
herc wrote: So much for the honeybee population... One of these can destroy an entire hive
I ended up cancelling my order - we have a lot of bees (and wasps) in the summer.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37127 upvotes
iflyplanes wrote: Guys c'mon, our bee population is being decimated and people want **** praying mantises in their gardens? Wake up. Do you geniuses know what happens in a world without pollinators?
These things are too cool, sure bees are important... as long as they're away from me.

That said, I will never not love your avatar.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Oct 31, 2010
914 posts
812 upvotes
Edmonton
Not in the market for Praying Mantis', but what's the best way to get rid of ants in the back yard. Basically they live all over my yard, so they're too spread out for boiling water (and don't want to kill my grass that's there). I've tried diatomaceous earth and a few other suggestions (borax, ant b gone, etc.). I seem to be having trouble finding an insecticide that I can cover my yard with and be done with them for a few years (hopefully). Any suggestions?
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
haroldliang wrote: What are the practical uses for them asides from eating pests in your garden?
Well for one, you could eat these. So there's that at least.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)