Shopping Discussion

Costco price adjustment without receipt?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2017 2:31 pm
[OP]
Jun 1, 2016
54 posts
9 upvotes

Costco price adjustment without receipt?

I was wondering if anyone has tried to price adjust a Costco product without their receipt? I bought a comforter set on Saturday and it looks like the set is now on sale for $30 less. Unfortunately somewhere in the Costco hustle I may have thrown out the receipt. I believe that price adjustment policy is 2 weeks with receipt, but I know that they keep a record of your purchases in their system. Do you think it would be possible to price match based on purchase history? I can possibly dig around in my trash for the receipt but I would rather not...Another option would be to return and rebuy, but it seems a bit wasteful as I believe they just return the item to the supplier instead of restocking. Thanks!
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2004
8794 posts
68522 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

They need the receipt... Last time I forgot the receipt at home, so I ask, but they say I need the receipt for any price adjustments...

Ju Leon...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8523 posts
1777 upvotes
London
ba35sta wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 11:27 pm
.Another option would be to return and rebuy, but it seems a bit wasteful as I believe they just return the item to the supplier instead of restocking. Thanks!
It may be wasteful, but it seems like what they want people to do.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2163 posts
1118 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
ba35sta wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 11:27 pm
I was wondering if anyone has tried to price adjust a Costco product without their receipt? I bought a comforter set on Saturday and it looks like the set is now on sale for $30 less. Unfortunately somewhere in the Costco hustle I may have thrown out the receipt. I believe that price adjustment policy is 2 weeks with receipt, but I know that they keep a record of your purchases in their system. Do you think it would be possible to price match based on purchase history? I can possibly dig around in my trash for the receipt but I would rather not...Another option would be to return and rebuy, but it seems a bit wasteful as I believe they just return the item to the supplier instead of restocking. Thanks!
Step 1: Go to the customer service desk and ask for a duplicate receipt.
Step 2: Present that receipt and ask for a price match.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4699 upvotes
You need a receipt for a price match.
Also if you don't have a receipt some locations will only give you the lowest selling price for some reason even though they can clearly see your purchase.
ALLCAPS wrote:
Feb 16th, 2017 2:01 am
Step 1: Go to the customer service desk and ask for a duplicate receipt.
Step 2: Present that receipt and ask for a price match.
Does that actually work?
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2163 posts
1118 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
death_hawk wrote:
Feb 16th, 2017 2:06 am

Does that actually work?
I've certainly requested a duplicate receipt for things like warranty registration and the like. Losing your receipt is a good reason to ask for one.

Whether it would work to present it straight away for a price reduction, I don't know...but no harm in trying if you've potentially thrown out the receipt and don't have the motivation to go into the bin to look for it.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4336 posts
914 upvotes
Alberta
inferno_gn wrote:
Feb 15th, 2017 11:36 pm
Hi there,

They need the receipt... Last time I forgot the receipt at home, so I ask, but they say I need the receipt for any price adjustments...

Ju Leon...
x2. The last time I was there I noticed that the WD 2TB external HD was $20 cheaper that what I paid 4 days earlier. I asked and they wouldn't price adjust without a receipt. I asked if they would look it up in the computer, they said sorry, but we can only do it with a receipt. Brought in the receipt and they printed the adjusted price on the back of it.
Nov 15, 2007
15 posts
I have had no problem returning or getting an adjustment without a receipt. I even went in because a tv had been lowered $200 and they claimed the time for price adjustment was up. I said I would then return the tv and they immediately did the adjustment.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4173 posts
439 upvotes
Barrys Bay
If no receipt just goto customer service, they will pull up your membership purchases and adjust. Done it numerous times, just takes extra few minutes longer.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
3058 posts
1849 upvotes
theguyz wrote:
Feb 18th, 2017 8:16 am
If no receipt just goto customer service, they will pull up your membership purchases and adjust. Done it numerous times, just takes extra few minutes longer.
YMMV. The Costco by my place will absolutely not do a price adjustment without the original receipt. Duplicate is not good enough and no amount of complaining can help. Even the manager recommends refund and rebuy if you have no receipt.
[OP]
Jun 1, 2016
54 posts
9 upvotes
Unfortunately that ended up my store policy as well- Burlington Costco. I ended up going on Saturday and they told me that even with the duplicate receipt they wouldn't be able to price adjust for me. I would need to return and rebuy for "audit purposes" because I didn't have the original receipt. Thanks for all your help everyone!
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14803 posts
5110 upvotes
Just got back from my local Costco doing a price adjustment and they will not process without the original receipt. Judging by them actually writing a price on the receipt I am guessing they do not update your receipt to show a lower price. Therefore, without the original receipt you could go to another Costco and do the price adjustment again (or return for full price).

They also mentioned there are different policies for price adjustments on items that are "vendor coupon" (so the items that have a original and sale price on the tag) versus in store mark downs (typical .97 stuff). This may explain why some experience the "buy and return" because with a vendor coupon that is the only way for Costco to get the credit.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4336 posts
914 upvotes
Alberta
TrevorK wrote:
Feb 19th, 2017 2:50 pm
Just got back from my local Costco doing a price adjustment and they will not process without the original receipt. Judging by them actually writing a price on the receipt I am guessing they do not update your receipt to show a lower price. Therefore, without the original receipt you could go to another Costco and do the price adjustment again (or return for full price).

They also mentioned there are different policies for price adjustments on items that are "vendor coupon" (so the items that have a original and sale price on the tag) versus in store mark downs (typical .97 stuff). This may explain why some experience the "buy and return" because with a vendor coupon that is the only way for Costco to get the credit.
On the last 2 price adjustments that I had, they fed my original receipt through the cash register and reprinted the adjusted price on the back of the receipt.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14803 posts
5110 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Feb 20th, 2017 10:55 am
On the last 2 price adjustments that I had, they fed my original receipt through the cash register and reprinted the adjusted price on the back of the receipt.
Yes - they did that with mine as well to show the credit going back to my credit card. But they still manually corrected the price on the receipt with a pen.