Shopping Discussion

Costco price adjustment without receipt?

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 6th, 2018 11:08 am
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 1, 2016
73 posts
16 upvotes

Costco price adjustment without receipt?

I was wondering if anyone has tried to price adjust a Costco product without their receipt? I bought a comforter set on Saturday and it looks like the set is now on sale for $30 less. Unfortunately somewhere in the Costco hustle I may have thrown out the receipt. I believe that price adjustment policy is 2 weeks with receipt, but I know that they keep a record of your purchases in their system. Do you think it would be possible to price match based on purchase history? I can possibly dig around in my trash for the receipt but I would rather not...Another option would be to return and rebuy, but it seems a bit wasteful as I believe they just return the item to the supplier instead of restocking. Thanks!
17 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 23, 2004
13003 posts
163574 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

They need the receipt... Last time I forgot the receipt at home, so I ask, but they say I need the receipt for any price adjustments...

Ju Leon...
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 22, 2007
9174 posts
2811 upvotes
London
ba35sta wrote: .Another option would be to return and rebuy, but it seems a bit wasteful as I believe they just return the item to the supplier instead of restocking. Thanks!
It may be wasteful, but it seems like what they want people to do.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 3, 2014
3050 posts
2580 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
ba35sta wrote: I was wondering if anyone has tried to price adjust a Costco product without their receipt? I bought a comforter set on Saturday and it looks like the set is now on sale for $30 less. Unfortunately somewhere in the Costco hustle I may have thrown out the receipt. I believe that price adjustment policy is 2 weeks with receipt, but I know that they keep a record of your purchases in their system. Do you think it would be possible to price match based on purchase history? I can possibly dig around in my trash for the receipt but I would rather not...Another option would be to return and rebuy, but it seems a bit wasteful as I believe they just return the item to the supplier instead of restocking. Thanks!
Step 1: Go to the customer service desk and ask for a duplicate receipt.
Step 2: Present that receipt and ask for a price match.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28174 posts
13753 upvotes
You need a receipt for a price match.
Also if you don't have a receipt some locations will only give you the lowest selling price for some reason even though they can clearly see your purchase.
ALLCAPS wrote: Step 1: Go to the customer service desk and ask for a duplicate receipt.
Step 2: Present that receipt and ask for a price match.
Does that actually work?
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 3, 2014
3050 posts
2580 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
death_hawk wrote:
Does that actually work?
I've certainly requested a duplicate receipt for things like warranty registration and the like. Losing your receipt is a good reason to ask for one.

Whether it would work to present it straight away for a price reduction, I don't know...but no harm in trying if you've potentially thrown out the receipt and don't have the motivation to go into the bin to look for it.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
15256 posts
9736 upvotes
Toronto
Go to the customer service counter and ask, they should be able to look up the purchase and I would assume give you a credit rather than deal with your return
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 28, 2007
7883 posts
4528 upvotes
Alberta
inferno_gn wrote: Hi there,

They need the receipt... Last time I forgot the receipt at home, so I ask, but they say I need the receipt for any price adjustments...

Ju Leon...
x2. The last time I was there I noticed that the WD 2TB external HD was $20 cheaper that what I paid 4 days earlier. I asked and they wouldn't price adjust without a receipt. I asked if they would look it up in the computer, they said sorry, but we can only do it with a receipt. Brought in the receipt and they printed the adjusted price on the back of it.
Newbie
Nov 15, 2007
22 posts
3 upvotes
I have had no problem returning or getting an adjustment without a receipt. I even went in because a tv had been lowered $200 and they claimed the time for price adjustment was up. I said I would then return the tv and they immediately did the adjustment.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 12, 2006
4343 posts
562 upvotes
Messed Up Area
If no receipt just goto customer service, they will pull up your membership purchases and adjust. Done it numerous times, just takes extra few minutes longer.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
6082 posts
5789 upvotes
theguyz wrote: If no receipt just goto customer service, they will pull up your membership purchases and adjust. Done it numerous times, just takes extra few minutes longer.
YMMV. The Costco by my place will absolutely not do a price adjustment without the original receipt. Duplicate is not good enough and no amount of complaining can help. Even the manager recommends refund and rebuy if you have no receipt.
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 1, 2016
73 posts
16 upvotes
Unfortunately that ended up my store policy as well- Burlington Costco. I ended up going on Saturday and they told me that even with the duplicate receipt they wouldn't be able to price adjust for me. I would need to return and rebuy for "audit purposes" because I didn't have the original receipt. Thanks for all your help everyone!
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17325 posts
7851 upvotes
Just got back from my local Costco doing a price adjustment and they will not process without the original receipt. Judging by them actually writing a price on the receipt I am guessing they do not update your receipt to show a lower price. Therefore, without the original receipt you could go to another Costco and do the price adjustment again (or return for full price).

They also mentioned there are different policies for price adjustments on items that are "vendor coupon" (so the items that have a original and sale price on the tag) versus in store mark downs (typical .97 stuff). This may explain why some experience the "buy and return" because with a vendor coupon that is the only way for Costco to get the credit.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 28, 2007
7883 posts
4528 upvotes
Alberta
TrevorK wrote: Just got back from my local Costco doing a price adjustment and they will not process without the original receipt. Judging by them actually writing a price on the receipt I am guessing they do not update your receipt to show a lower price. Therefore, without the original receipt you could go to another Costco and do the price adjustment again (or return for full price).

They also mentioned there are different policies for price adjustments on items that are "vendor coupon" (so the items that have a original and sale price on the tag) versus in store mark downs (typical .97 stuff). This may explain why some experience the "buy and return" because with a vendor coupon that is the only way for Costco to get the credit.
On the last 2 price adjustments that I had, they fed my original receipt through the cash register and reprinted the adjusted price on the back of the receipt.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17325 posts
7851 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote: On the last 2 price adjustments that I had, they fed my original receipt through the cash register and reprinted the adjusted price on the back of the receipt.
Yes - they did that with mine as well to show the credit going back to my credit card. But they still manually corrected the price on the receipt with a pen.
Newbie
Oct 3, 2017
1 posts
Just tried to get a price adjustment w/out the receipt. Clerk even called supervisor over who said "not w/out a receipt". He said I could purchase a new item at the lower price & return it at the higher price today, as I had used their visa. Guess they're betting on saving money because a certain number of people will not bother to do that. Macy's never gives you the run around.
Newbie
Jan 11, 2012
1 posts
BC
Hi there, I just returned from a trip to the Willingdon (Burnaby, BC) Costco where I noticed that a toy I had purchased for my daughter 2 weeks ago had gone down in price by $7.02. I went to the customer service desk and asked them if they could do a price adjustment without the receipt; the woman said she would do it this one time but I had to bring the receipt in next time I wanted an adjustment. The refund was processed with an override back to my MasterCard.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1430 posts
1085 upvotes
Etobicoke
I have done it lots of times and I never keep my receipts.

Top