• Last Updated:
  • Jun 13th, 2020 10:24 am
[OP]
May 20, 2003
518 posts
237 upvotes
Toronto

[Costco] Pro Mix 112L Organic Vegetable and Herb Mix $17.99

I've been looking for some good soil for my vegetable garden. I got desperate a couple weeks ago and bought a 28 L bag from Home Depot for $9.99. Then I found a bulk size bag at Lowes online for $24.99. The bulk size 112 L is the same as 4 bags.

https://www.lowes.ca/product/soil/pro-m ... mix-953499

I thought this was a great deal but no Lowe's location has any in stock in Ontario. Then I went to Costco at Elgin Mills and saw this for $17.99. This is an awesome deal, more than half price when compared to the price you would pay for 1 bag at 28 L ( 4 x $9.99).

I'm not sure if this price is the same outside of Ontario.

Cheers
Last edited by TomRFD on May 29th, 2020 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
55 replies
Nov 9, 2018
9 posts
2 upvotes
I was looking for this last week at heartland Costco. I had them look up on their system to see which Costco has stock and most of them were out of stock on this.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
2541 posts
844 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Not buying soil from Costco anymore... the last bag of "multi-purpose" I bought turned out to be only good for mixing with top soil outdoors, no other uses and definitely could not be used a potting mix. Don't see how that amounts to "multi-purpose" but I'll be sure to read the label front and back next time.
Mar 8, 2009
68 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
djdestroyer wrote: Not buying soil from Costco anymore... the last bag of "multi-purpose" I bought turned out to be only good for mixing with top soil outdoors, no other uses and definitely could not be used a potting mix. Don't see how that amounts to "multi-purpose" but I'll be sure to read the label front and back next time.
And it's costco's fault you bought the wrong product for some reason..?
Jan 2, 2014
642 posts
248 upvotes
I just can't decide if it's the worth the effort to go to my Costco and wait in line only for them not to have it
Mar 16, 2018
590 posts
668 upvotes
Hamilton
I grew a ton of pot last year with one of these Costco bails, it’s good stuff! I did have to use some chemical fertilizer towards the end of the summer, but you might not need to for less demanding crops. Like the OP, I’m kicking myself for buying two of the smaller bags only to see it at Costco two days ago for this cheap!

Edit: one big downside I've noticed is that it has a ton of filler - sticks, chunks of spongy softwood, etc. This could be how they dial in the soil's drainage properties, but I'd wager it's morel likely a cost saver. I'd prefer to add my own vermiculite instead vs all that crap.
Last edited by ownthesky on May 29th, 2020 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
2541 posts
844 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Mikus007 wrote: And it's costco's fault you bought the wrong product for some reason..?
Do you buy soil at all? Multi-purpose generally means multi-purpose and I even mentioned that I will have to read the label front and back next time so I'm not blaming Costco for that, just for stocking shitty products. I looked for this soil at other garden centres and no one caries it so 99% of the time, one could buy multi-purpose soil and use it for a variety of purposes. This soil is ONLY good for mixing with existing top soil outside, so it's not multi-purpose by any stretch of the imagination and it's only mentioned as tiny fine print on the back of the bag. I've been gardening since 2004 and have never come across such a product. I've even gotten comfortable enough to simply trust the procurement teams at the big box stores. I've learned that I can't apply the same trust for Costco anymore. Not a big deal!
[OP]
May 20, 2003
518 posts
237 upvotes
Toronto
djdestroyer wrote: Do you buy soil at all? Multi-purpose generally means multi-purpose and I even mentioned that I will have to read the label front and back next time so I'm not blaming Costco for that, just for stocking shitty products. I looked for this soil at other garden centres and no one caries it so 99% of the time, one could buy multi-purpose soil and use it for a variety of purposes. This soil is ONLY good for mixing with existing top soil outside, so it's not multi-purpose by any stretch of the imagination and it's only mentioned as tiny fine print on the back of the bag. I've been gardening since 2004 and have never come across such a product. I've even gotten comfortable enough to simply trust the procurement teams at the big box stores. I've learned that I can't apply the same trust for Costco anymore. Not a big deal!

My guess is that they just have a big pile of this that they bag. I don't think there is a special pile that goes to Costco or other nurseries and big box stores. So this stuff should be the same everywhere and Costco makes it best attempt to buy what customers want since it doesn't stock a lot of variety.
Oct 6, 2018
242 posts
288 upvotes
djdestroyer wrote: Not buying soil from Costco anymore... the last bag of "multi-purpose" I bought turned out to be only good for mixing with top soil outdoors, no other uses and definitely could not be used a potting mix. Don't see how that amounts to "multi-purpose" but I'll be sure to read the label front and back next time.
It's Costco, you can return it Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat
Jun 14, 2006
639 posts
137 upvotes
Winnipeg
the11thdoctor wrote: I just can't decide if it's the worth the effort to go to my Costco and wait in line only for them not to have it
You can call and ask if/how many in stock before you go. They can even tell you which Costco in your city has it if any.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 17, 2006
5156 posts
21 upvotes
Midland
No, this is the worst for spreading on the lawn. You want the cheapest garden soil full of sand. Home Depot has some for $1.89 a bag. This is like the gold standard of garden soil.
Jul 11, 2009
545 posts
370 upvotes
Toronto
while seemingly a great price, this is the regular costco price.

how does this compare to the miracle gro moisture control mix 60.5 L for $ 10.99?
Images
  • 4C70D751-4A08-490E-98E7-7EE84102BE1E.jpeg
[OP]
May 20, 2003
518 posts
237 upvotes
Toronto
The annoying thing is going to Costco and trying to buy all your groceries and trying to stuff a few bags of these in your cart and if you can't do that, you might have to line up outside again to buy more. I don't think you can just the tell the cashier how many you want and come back for it?
Jun 4, 2007
938 posts
482 upvotes
davext wrote: The annoying thing is going to Costco and trying to buy all your groceries and trying to stuff a few bags of these in your cart and if you can't do that, you might have to line up outside again to buy more. I don't think you can just the tell the cashier how many you want and come back for it?
I’ve seen ppl grab a 2nd cart in these types of situations instead of having to go back in again afterwards.