Costco

Rapid Covid Tests $16.99 (Ottawa, YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2021 1:29 pm
Sep 23, 2007
268 posts
1160 upvotes
Vancouver
brunes wrote: Its safer in a lot of US states than in a lot of places in Canada right now.
Lol, you have any supporting evidence to corroborate that insane claim?

Unless you are comparing rural Ohio to downtown Toronto, your metrics are way off.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2004
2417 posts
2178 upvotes
Oakville
JamesPlomppy wrote: FYI Downsview Costco is showing availability for today (Oct 7) and Oct 17.
Apologies if it’s been posted but where do you see test availability? I only see vaccine availability
Feb 29, 2012
474 posts
170 upvotes
maskedrolla wrote: Lol, you have any supporting evidence to corroborate that insane claim?

Unless you are comparing rural Ohio to downtown Toronto, your metrics are way off.
Many states have hospitals that are not overwhelmed.
Can't say the same here in Alberta.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12269 posts
2437 upvotes
Mississauga
maskedrolla wrote: Lol, you have any supporting evidence to corroborate that insane claim?

I'd take downtown Toronto any day over rural Ohio if I wanted to avoid COVID. At least most of our population is double vaccinated.
Mar 2, 2016
540 posts
703 upvotes
Toronto
SkiLLz wrote: Apologies if it’s been posted but where do you see test availability? I only see vaccine availability
Go through the website as if you're booking a vaccine and then, o the page when you choose which dose/details of the vaccine you're booking, it'll also show the rapid test option. As of 4 hours ago this only worked for Downsview.
Koodo|Fido|Tangerine|EQ|AMEX|Plastiq|eBates|TopCashBack|Mr. Rebates|Great Canadian Rebates|RocketMiles
BRIM|AwardWallet|uber|Lyft|airBNB|uberEats|DoorDash|Skip the Dishes|Ritual
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
1719 posts
884 upvotes
Montreal
reachedlegendary1 wrote: Many states have hospitals that are not overwhelmed.
Can't say the same here in Alberta.
To be fair, Alberta is 1/8th of the pop of Canada, somewhat rural, and its pop has been kinda famously against the public health measures, open July 1st etc, high vaccine hesitancy. Compare the most conservative states/area to ours...

My niece went to the ER Sunday, empty which didn't happen even pre-pandemic.
bluespecv wrote: ER != ICU though
Sure, but both Ontario and Quebec's hospitalizations are 1/8th of their peak, ON 1/6th, for ICU QC 1/3rd. Trained and hired tens of thousands, but most importantly, the vaccine makes this a different ballgame. Original statement "Its safer in a lot of US states than in a lot of places in Canada right now" was as a justification that people should be at least as scared to go to Canada than the US. That is a very, very flawed comparison, and just plainly tone deaf. US cases per pop are TRIPLE the Canadian cases, deaths are quadruple. Pretty sure the consensus is that travelling to the US is more worrisome and that's before even considering the huge gap in vaccination rates
Last edited by n-ster on Oct 7th, 2021 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 19, 2004
637 posts
78 upvotes
n-ster wrote: My niece went to the ER Sunday, empty which didn't happen even pre-pandemic.
ER != ICU though
Sep 27, 2020
40 posts
20 upvotes
Ontario
cursor18 wrote: Negative Covid testing is for EVERYONE who enters Canada. As even vaccinated people can get covid, hence act as carriers, negative test is crucial.
Post Oct 30 folks will need to get fully vaccinated in order to travel OUT of canada & WITHIN canada (via Air, Via Rail, Cruise ships). Before entering Canada, you WILL still need to get negative tested. That rule of negative test is not changing for incoming people (vaccinated or unvaccinated) into Canada.

You may be selected for random covid testing AFTER entering Canada at Airports & will be given a home test kit.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/trave ... nto-canada

Hope this help as I too had many questions around this.
thank you very much for this information.
Sep 27, 2020
40 posts
20 upvotes
Ontario
adhika wrote: As per September, if you are fully vaccinated, you will be selected randomly. At least that's what I heard from the porter I was hiring.
Apparently, you still need to get proof of negative result, BUT anyone might get randomly selected to do 2nd one upone arrival.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2009
2907 posts
2639 upvotes
Whitby
Feds gave them provinces for FREE. Face With Rolling Eyes
Dec 30, 2017
152 posts
133 upvotes
ranjy wrote: This is red hot if nation wide and you need one - I'm travelling to USA for 1-night in December...if I could use this it would be awesome
If you're going for one night you can get the Canada-required PCR test in Canada (calculate the timing carefully) and that one test is all you need.

But the antigen test is not sufficient for Canada. I hope they'll slack off on that at some point, the deep nasal rape is really invasive.
Dec 30, 2017
152 posts
133 upvotes
DeltaSingh wrote: Problem isn't getting to the US, it's coming back to Canada. PCR = negative is still required within 48 hours of first arrival in Canada.

Life's rough
Actual requirement for most arrivals is PCR test must be taken within 72 hours of scheduled departure of direct flight to Canada (I think flights India and Morocco have different
rules). Since results can take some time and lab hours vary there can be a fairly narrow window, especially if you are taking a connecting flight (eg. within
Europe).

Pre-entry test result requirements
All travellers 5 years of age or older, regardless of citizenship or vaccination status, must provide proof of a COVID-19 negative molecular test result to enter Canada or proof of a previous positive test result taken between 14 and 180 days.

Rapid antigen tests will not be accepted.

Accepted types of molecular tests
These tests are considered acceptable molecular tests:

PCR - Polymerase chain reaction
Nucleic acid test (NAT) or Nucleic acid amplification test (NAATs)
Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP)
These tests use methods such as a nasopharyngeal (NP) swab, nose swab, or saliva sample.

Other acceptable types of tests
If you’ve already had COVID-19 and recovered
When and where to get a negative pre-entry test result
If you're flying to Canada, you must take a molecular test within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of your flight to Canada.

Flying from India or Morocco
Direct flights
India

If you’re taking a direct flight from India to Canada, you’ll need proof of a negative COVID-19 molecular test from the Genestrings Laboratory at the Delhi airport. The test must be taken within 18 hours of the scheduled departure of your direct flight to Canada.

Morocco

Direct flights from Morocco are suspended until 23:59 EDT on October 28, 2021.

Indirect flights from India or Morocco
If you’re taking an indirect flight from India or Morocco to Canada, you’ll still need proof of a negative COVID-19 molecular test, within 72 hours of your final flight to Canada. The test must be taken in the country from which your flight to Canada will depart.

Airlines will refuse boarding to travellers who are unable to provide a valid negative molecular test result or proof of a previous positive test result taken between 14 and 180 days that includes:

If you have a connecting flight:
the test must be conducted within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of your last direct flight to Canada
you may need to schedule the test in your transit city
Nov 13, 2010
197 posts
319 upvotes
Toronto
So much confusion and a bunch of people who can't do math in this thread. I've been to the US four times since quarantine for vaccinated travellers ended in July. Here's what has worked for me:
1. Get a rapid antigen test from any supervised pharmacy here in Canada no more than 72 hours before you go. Recommend just the day before so you know you're well before you go - hospitals are busy in some areas. Shoppers used to charge more so I was going to FH Health, but now Wal Mart is cheap and accessible so I'll go there.
2. Sign attestation form (you can print out, but is now in the app apparently for Air Canada and is definitely in the app for United) for US entry. Google COVID test attestation. Take with you to save time just in case.
3. Take copy of antigen test result with you, but you may not be asked for it, especially if you upload it to the app (see United).
On way home:
1. Get what is referred to in the US as a molecular test no more than 72 hours before. Commonly in the US these are PCR, RT-PCR or NAAT tests. Walgreens and CVS all have at least one of these. They will tell you it could take up to 5 days. It so far has been in 24 to 30 hours for me. Use your hotel address and Canadian drivers license for ID, pick the state you're in or any state in the online registration form. They will not likely check it (never have checked mine) The test has always been free for me (CT, CA, and OR). Have a backup RT-PCR plan in place - rapid tests are expensive but at least you can get home. If your test has not arrived around 12 hours before travel bite the bullet. You pick your own nose at Walgreens and CVS and they just watch you. I put it up there until it tickles a little.
2. Be fully vaccinated +14 days if you'd like to avoid quarantine upon return home. Get PDF copies of your vaccine receipts.
3. Install ArriveCan app or you can use web site. Follow instructions, upload vaccine receipts, answer a bunch of questions.
4. Airline staff at check in or gate will want your vaccine records and a print out of your negative test. Digital copies may be accepted, but a print out is faster and safer. Save time for everyone - make sure airline staff check your negative test to save them having to do it again at boarding and cause a delay; just like your passport needs checked.
5. Get home, and WAIT for a while to get into customs for no good reason ifyou're on a wide body, less likely on the little planes. Show customs agent negative test and arrivecan receipt, get green sticker and walk out. If randomly selected, do another test. No quarantine if vaccinated. Beware of workplaces and visiting people who's workplaces may not have updated guidelines regarding international travel; correct public health based guidelines should say "travel internationally unless quarantine exempt" but often have not been updated to include the quarantine disclaimer.

The rest is up to you. I have typically avoided eating in crowded restaurants and being unmasked near large numbers of people, not concerned if restaurant wasn't busy though and I could sit distanced at the bar etc. I also took an antibody test to make sure I had active antibodies that are likely to be preventative for my own peace of mind.
Jun 16, 2009
562 posts
282 upvotes
Mississauga
The Costco @ Dixie and Dundas ( Mississauga ) is not doing any Covid 19 Tests . ( Inquired on Tuesday Oct 5 .)
The Walmart right next door is doing the tests for $ 19.99+ Txs, by appointment only.
Dec 18, 2009
94 posts
37 upvotes
Ottawa
Not " a lot of places in Canada". Only Alberta.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2003
4729 posts
194 upvotes
Bebo123 wrote: RFD is waiting for Dollarama to have the COVID Rapid tests in stock…
I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see this coming to a Dollarama in the near future!
May 28, 2009
152 posts
117 upvotes
atsak wrote: 1. Get what is referred to in the US as a molecular test no more than 72 hours before. Commonly in the US these are PCR, RT-PCR or NAAT tests. Walgreens and CVS all have at least one of these. They will tell you it could take up to 5 days. It so far has been in 24 to 30 hours for me. Use your hotel address and Canadian drivers license for ID, pick the state you're in or any state in the online registration form. They will not likely check it (never have checked mine) The test has always been free for me (CT, CA, and OR). Have a backup RT-PCR plan in place - rapid tests are expensive but at least you can get home. If your test has not arrived around 12 hours before travel bite the bullet. You pick your own nose at Walgreens and CVS and they just watch you. I put it up there until it tickles a little.
Do you not need to show proof of US insurance to get the test for free? CVS and Walgreens sites both list that as a requirement.
Jul 13, 2013
964 posts
770 upvotes
gretzky99 wrote: I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see this coming to a Dollarama in the near future!
Could definitely see them being $3-4 there in the future and fitting into other stuff they sell. Completely serious.
Nov 13, 2010
197 posts
319 upvotes
Toronto
thecontinental wrote: Do you not need to show proof of US insurance to get the test for free? CVS and Walgreens sites both list that as a requirement.
That is what the web site says; in practice I have not been asked for it despite offering to pay. The pharmacist who did the first one in CT for me advised there are multiple state programs that fund the tests for uninsured, even for non residents, in an effort to make it easier for everyone.

While that may well change, I have not yet been asked for insurance nor to pay in any of my visits to those two chains.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

beansprout