• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2019 2:23 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1298 posts
936 upvotes

Costco: Return of a Dehumidifier

The dehumidifier was not working. The compressor came on but no water was collected.

I phoned the company to ask for repair suggestions and she said it was toast. They also have no service centres in my area so I was SOL.
BUT if I had purchased it at Costco just take it back for a full refund no matter how long I had it. She said if I had purchased it at Lowe's or Best Buy I would be out of luck.

Wow, returned it to Costco and purchased a new one. No hassle.
22 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
20901 posts
3070 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Yeah, Costco will do that. People will abuse it and eventually they'll claw it back like they did with TVs. Did you have this this thing for 1 year, a few months or years?
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11680 posts
8142 upvotes
GTA, ON
Please tell me you only owned this thing for like a few months and not a few years way past the manufacturers warranty. Lets not abuse Costco's return policy because sooner or later Costco put a stop to everything because of abuse.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1298 posts
936 upvotes
chimaican wrote: Please tell me you only owned this thing for like a few months and not a few years way past the manufacturers warranty. Lets not abuse Costco's return policy because sooner or later Costco put a stop to everything because of abuse.
Get real!
How can I be abusing Costco policy when this is their policy.
I just followed what I was told. People shop there because of this policy of standing behind their sales. If I had purchase anywhere else I would have been out of luck holding a piece of useless junk.
Not my fault manufactures make crappy products that are undependable. More land fill.

Dehumidifier had a 2 year guarantee and I had it for 1 1/2 years working only in the summer so less than a years use.
Yea, Costco.
Boo, to commenters who crap on posters trying to share their information.
Last edited by profile on May 21st, 2019 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11680 posts
8142 upvotes
GTA, ON
Okay than... you returned it within the guarantee period, that's fine.

I was more talking about people who buy things and use it for multiple years until it breaks like people who return things after 7yrs of use, or people who eat the entire chicken and then return it.

BTW: your 1.5 yrs is written like eleven years.

Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1371 posts
417 upvotes
Calgary
Using a policy is not abusing it. If this is the only thing that has been returned, than what is the issue? The product broke, he tried other measures to get it fixed and was directed by the manufacture to bring it back. The return policy is part of why i have a membership. What good, to me, is the policy if I am not going to use it?
Nov 12, 2012
572 posts
261 upvotes
Port Moody
These days you can't even buy something at Canadian Tire and simply OPEN it and then try to return it the next day for a refund, let alone USE it for several months! Almost every place has 14-30 days return policy - at least Walmart has 90 days - which seems to be the best of the bunch, next to Costco.

I've bought all major electronics there (TV, laptop, phone), but I let my membership lapse because I just can't stand shopping there. If you no longer have your membership (or you buy it online without a membership) is it still possible to return months later?
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
20901 posts
3070 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Dark Phoenix wrote: Using a policy is not abusing it. If this is the only thing that has been returned, than what is the issue? The product broke, he tried other measures to get it fixed and was directed by the manufacture to bring it back. The return policy is part of why i have a membership. What good, to me, is the policy if I am not going to use it?

There also used to be a very generous policy for TV returns but even though it was a policy it got heavily abused, event discussed on RFD. The honest consumer got burned by that and Costco had to change that policy. That's why people are skeptical when posts are made about Costco returns. In this case though, I see no issue. The original post didn't have all the info, that's why I was probing with my initial comment.

I detest the people that eat 85% of their food and then bring it back to Costco to say they didn't like it just to get their money back, or people that get a membership only to return it a month before it expires because they felt it didn't benefit them.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2669 posts
1336 upvotes
B.C.
If Costco changed this policy I'd have to seriously reconsider having a membership.

This policy is the reason I buy most of my small appliances there. I'm exchanging the lack of choice in models and features for the ability to return it if it stops working.

If I buy a tent there and the seams leak I can take it back and get another one. If I buy a cooler and the hinge breaks and I can't order a replacement from the manufacturer - I can just return it. If my microwave platter breaks and a new one is more expensive than a replacement microwave... I can return it.

This policy is one of the fundamental reasons I have a membership there. Just because other stores have a different return policy model doesn't mean that actually using Costco's policy the way it was intended is abuse.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16644 posts
6897 upvotes
lennyandcarl wrote: If Costco changed this policy I'd have to seriously reconsider having a membership.

This policy is the reason I buy most of my small appliances there. I'm exchanging the lack of choice in models and features for the ability to return it if it stops working.

If I buy a tent there and the seams leak I can take it back and get another one. If I buy a cooler and the hinge breaks and I can't order a replacement from the manufacturer - I can just return it. If my microwave platter breaks and a new one is more expensive than a replacement microwave... I can return it.

This policy is one of the fundamental reasons I have a membership there. Just because other stores have a different return policy model doesn't mean that actually using Costco's policy the way it was intended is abuse.
To me I agree with you - to a point. Costco indicates you should be satisfied. This, to me, means that an item should last a reasonable period of time. Not a lifetime, but a reasonable period of time. If you're returning the item when it's within the lifespan that seems inline with their policy. If you're returning an item beyond it's lifespan that seems to be abusing their policy. And of course, if you're the cause of the item breaking then it seems like abusing their policy.

The problem is that it is so open to interpretation. I would much rather see them claim to offer the guarantee during the warranty period but then I also know having a limit opens it up to more abuse. I think it's a really challenging position and that's why they leave it so vague.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
2506 posts
2172 upvotes
Canada
chimaican wrote: Okay than... you returned it within the guarantee period, that's fine.

I was more talking about people who buy things and use it for multiple years until it breaks like people who return things after 7yrs of use, or people who eat the entire chicken and then return it.

BTW: your 1.5 yrs is written like eleven years.
Did u eat the entire chicken and return it?
To the moon
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11680 posts
8142 upvotes
GTA, ON
Redsanta wrote: Did u eat the entire chicken and return it?
lol... No. I RFD frugal, not a RFD cheap delinquent.

Heard it on the radio. Also heard the other day on Roz & Mocha (Kiss92.5) that someone called in and said someone had returned a snow blower after 7yrs use for a refund.

Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1371 posts
417 upvotes
Calgary
Evil Baby wrote: There also used to be a very generous policy for TV returns but even though it was a policy it got heavily abused, event discussed on RFD. The honest consumer got burned by that and Costco had to change that policy. That's why people are skeptical when posts are made about Costco returns. In this case though, I see no issue. The original post didn't have all the info, that's why I was probing with my initial comment.

I detest the people that eat 85% of their food and then bring it back to Costco to say they didn't like it just to get their money back, or people that get a membership only to return it a month before it expires because they felt it didn't benefit them.
And those were people returning TVs that were still working well, so they could essentially upgrade.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
20901 posts
3070 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Dark Phoenix wrote: And those were people returning TVs that were still working well, so they could essentially upgrade.
That's correct, but it was part of their policy so how could it possible be abuse?
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2780 posts
2044 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Evil Baby wrote: That's correct, but it was part of their policy so how could it possible be abuse?
By people not returning because an item was defective but because they could get a newer tv every couple of years at no cost.

Obviously Costco thought it was being abused because they changed their policy to the detriment of the majority of customers.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
20901 posts
3070 upvotes
Niagara Falls
ALLCAPS wrote: By people not returning because an item was defective but because they could get a newer tv every couple of years at no cost.

Obviously Costco thought it was being abused because they changed their policy to the detriment of the majority of customers.
Thats basically what we've been saying. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
9729 posts
3066 upvotes
pokee99 wrote: These days you can't even buy something at Canadian Tire and simply OPEN it and then try to return it the next day for a refund, let alone USE it for several months! Almost every place has 14-30 days return policy - at least Walmart has 90 days - which seems to be the best of the bunch, next to Costco.

I've bought all major electronics there (TV, laptop, phone), but I let my membership lapse because I just can't stand shopping there. If you no longer have your membership (or you buy it online without a membership) is it still possible to return months later?
This is not true. A lot of small appliances have an over the counter exchange policy in the warranty period at CT. eg. 3 years on this one
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/cuis ... p.html#srp

If an item has a one year warranty period at Costco I would return it on the other I have a Kirkland cookware set which came with a 20 year warranty like many higher end ones. I bought it 10 years ago I will not return it.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33299 posts
6992 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
chimaican wrote: BTW: your 1.5 yrs is written like eleven years.
I read it as 11 years as well. But I think he meant that he had it for 11 months out of the 2 years

...hmmm. Maybe it is 1.5 years. Tough to interpret
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
12106 posts
140657 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

If Costco took it back, then they took it back, that's their decision. People might not agree upon it. The real question is, why bother posting this here about it?

Ju Leon...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1298 posts
936 upvotes
inferno_gn wrote: Hi there,

If Costco took it back, then they took it back, that's their decision. People might not agree upon it. The real question is, why bother posting this here about it?

Ju Leon...
Inferno_gn ,the reason I posted it here was to inform others about my positive experience at Costco and how the company handled a defective dehumidifier in case the same situation happens to them.

I returned it as instructed by the manufacture. It is a demonstration of Costco's great service. As someone else said they sacrifice variety of choice for the warranty offered by Costco.

Frankly, I find the negative response hurtful when my intention was to inform.
Too many jumped on the, "half eaten chicken scenario", before they spent the time to comprehend the situation.
Like so many helpful posts it does not deserve 7 thumbs down.