None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4654 posts
5928 upvotes
GTA

Costco return policy question

Not a Costco member yet, but I know they offer money back on everything if not completely satisfied, with no specified time limit (90 days on electronics and diamonds).
I'm interested in buying an expensive($2k+) latex mattress from them. My question is if the mattress sags/ comfort level deteriorates after 2 or 3 years , but it's not a problem covered by mattress maker's warranty, could I return it to Coscto and get my money back? Even after 3 years? what about 6 years? On a $2k+(excluding foundation) latex mattress I expect 7 or more good years out of it.

I spent $1000 (it was 60% off) on a Simmons (never buy again) 'World Class" mattress three years ago and already it's sagging so badly I need to replace it. I don't want to find myself in the same position again in 3 years. I'll pay a small premium at Costco for the piece of mind of knowing I can return it if quality doesn't live up to expectations after a few years of use.
42 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3119 posts
2740 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Kfox wrote: My question is if the mattress comfort level deteriorates after 2 or 3 years ( as many mattresses do), but it's not a problem covered by mattress maker's warranty, could I return it to Coscto and get my money back? Even after 3 years? what about 6 years?
What did they say at Costco when you asked them? Clearly they'd be the best source of accurate information I think. What Costco told you aside, do you think it's appropriate to return a well used mattress that mostly likely has been saturated with your body fluids (including sweat and other stuff) and covered in microscopic pieces of hair and skin that comes off your body each night and therefore is totally swarming in bacteria?

When it comes to the comfort levels you describe, what was comfortable this week may not be comfortable next week, not because of any issue with the mattress itself, but because of changes to your body. Is it appropriate to return a well used item not because it's defective but because your body changed? IMO, the answer is no. The product has served you well and is not defective. Even wear and tear isn't an acceptable reason for return if the product is expected to have wear at a reasonable rate and lives up to that expectation.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
6545 posts
6072 upvotes
Ottawa
ALLCAPS wrote: What did they say at Costco when you asked them? Clearly they'd be the best source of accurate information I think. What Costco told you aside, do you think it's appropriate to return a well used mattress that mostly likely has been saturated with your body fluids (including sweat and other stuff) and covered in microscopic pieces of hair and skin that comes off your body each night and therefore is totally swarming in bacteria?

When it comes to the comfort levels you describe, what was comfortable this week may not be comfortable next week, not because of any issue with the mattress itself, but because of changes to your body. Is it appropriate to return a well used item not because it's defective but because your body changed? IMO, the answer is no. The product has served you well and is not defective. Even wear and tear isn't an acceptable reason for return if the product is expected to have wear at a reasonable rate and lives up to that expectation.
How dare you ask someone to do their own research!!!!!!!! This is RFD!!!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
6649 posts
7980 upvotes
Edmonton
You can return anything to Costco... under basically any circumstances.... including mattresses. If it's not included in their 90 day return policy, then it's lifetime.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2007
3013 posts
268 upvotes
Kingston
However depending your past returns your account could be revoked.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
6557 posts
2765 upvotes
Montreal
Have you researched latex foam mattresses? I thought they were a good idea when I bought mine but I ended up hating it. It sagged in the middle and offered poor support. I got rid of it after ~5 years.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4654 posts
5928 upvotes
GTA
ALLCAPS wrote: What did they say at Costco when you asked them? Clearly they'd be the best source of accurate information I think. What Costco told you aside, do you think it's appropriate to return a well used mattress that mostly likely has been saturated with your body fluids (including sweat and other stuff) and covered in microscopic pieces of hair and skin that comes off your body each night and therefore is totally swarming in bacteria?

First, whether the mattress has one week of my "body fluids and bacteria" or 200 weeks, what's the difference? Either way, it's not going to be resold to someone else.

You think a $1000 mattress (reduced price) that sags to a point it's like lying in a ditch after 3 years of use is "reasonable"? You're the kind of customer that mattress companies rely on when they make their inferior product- "make it last 3 years and then he'll buy another"

The four S mattress companies (Serta, Simmons. Sealy, Stearns & F) all build their mattresses with the intention of them wearing out, sagging, whatever you want to call it, long before they should. The shift to 'no-flip' was a gold mine for them- it reduced the cost of manufacturing and decreased the durability, all in the name of "progress" and the dumbass public bought into it.
If I can buy a mattress from a retailer, Costco, who's return policy protects me from the 4 S BS through their return policy, then why not?

Besides, I expect that Costco has struck a deal with all the mattress makers that they stock- if a mattress is returned, the maker takes it back, no questions asked-- for the manufacturer, that's the price you pay to get on Costco's shelves/website. NO?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4654 posts
5928 upvotes
GTA
psyko514 wrote: Have you researched latex foam mattresses? I thought they were a good idea when I bought mine but I ended up hating it. It sagged in the middle and offered poor support. I got rid of it after ~5 years.

I have done research on all-latex mattresses, mostly here:
http://www.themattressunderground.com/m ... forum.html
http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/
and what I've found is they should be of the most durable, hence my expectation that the Costco mattress will give me 7 years or more. It's a Natura "Tropical" which is in fact the Natura Twilight, their second from the top of the line. It's going on sale mid April and I plan on snagging one.
Yeah, i know it's not a "4 S" company, but it's a small manufacturer, somewhat unproven, so Costco protects me from the possible risk. If it was a 4 S mattress it would be definite risk.
Dec 1, 2013
9 posts
Kfox wrote: First, whether the mattress has one week of my "body fluids and bacteria" or 200 weeks, what's the difference? Either way, it's not going to be resold to someone else.

You think a $1000 mattress (reduced price) that sags to a point it's like lying in a ditch after 3 years of use is "reasonable"? You're the kind of customer that mattress companies rely on when they make their inferior product- "make it last 3 years and then he'll buy another"

The four S mattress companies (Serta, Simmons. Sealy, Stearns & F) all build their mattresses with the intention of them wearing out, sagging, whatever you want to call it, long before they should. The shift to 'no-flip' was a gold mine for them- it reduced the cost of manufacturing and decreased the durability, all in the name of "progress" and the dumbass public bought into it.
If I can buy a mattress from a retailer, Costco, who's return policy protects me from the 4 S BS through their return policy, then why not?

Besides, I expect that Costco has struck a deal with all the mattress makers that they stock- if a mattress is returned, the maker takes it back, no questions asked-- for the manufacturer, that's the price you pay to get on Costco's shelves/website? NO?
If a manufacturer or retailer suggests that a product should last a certain amount of time, then I think its reasonable to return it if it doesn't live up to the promise, regardless of how many buckets of fluid are in the matress. I had a foam mattress from Costco that after only about 8 months was saggy and no longer retained its shape. I called in and asked if there was any kind of warranty or anything on it and they told me to just bring it back and return it, so I did. It wasn't nearly as long as 3 years, but as long as you aren't deceptive or just trying to take advantage of them, I don't see anything wrong.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9051 posts
2346 upvotes
Kfox wrote: Besides, I expect that Costco has struck a deal with all the mattress makers that they stock- if a mattress is returned, the maker takes it back, no questions asked-- for the manufacturer, that's the price you pay to get on Costco's shelves/website. NO?
Eh, what you expect may be different from reality.

Call Costco and ask them, no one here's going to be able to give you an official answer or response.

Besides you'll need to keep your Costco membership active, don't think you can buy the mattress and return the membership, then walk in 3 years later and get a refund.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
4986 upvotes
Here 'n There

What an excellent response steeped in an appropriate level of ethical, moral and just general common sense! Bravo! Too bad more consumers don't have your attitude and obviously good upbringing. I'm all for customers not getting shafted but from what I read on here there are too many customers doing the shafting too. This just makes it worse for the majority of customers that don't as it only increases costs and results in businesses tightening their policies for everyone.

I can't believe this person thinks it's reasonable to return the mattress that many years down the line and would actually not feel guilty attempting to do so. Sheesh!
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
4986 upvotes
Here 'n There
Kfox wrote: First, whether the mattress has one week of my "body fluids and bacteria" or 200 weeks, what's the difference? Either way, it's not going to be resold to someone else.

Besides, I expect that Costco has struck a deal with all the mattress makers that they stock- if a mattress is returned, the maker takes it back, no questions asked-- for the manufacturer, that's the price you pay to get on Costco's shelves/website. NO?
Mattresses are all supposed to be flipped as well as rotated on a regular basis throughout their lives. Most people don't do that which is a big reason why they sag and that's not the manufacturers fault. If pressure is put on only one or two places on the mattress then physics and material science dictates eventually those places are going to sag.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2008
1122 posts
112 upvotes
eonibm wrote: Mattresses are all supposed to be flipped as well as rotated on a regular basis throughout their lives. Most people don't do that which is a big reason why they sag and that's not the manufacturers fault. If pressure is put on only one or two places on the mattress then physics and material science dictates eventually those places are going to sag.
What about "pillow top" mattresses? Can't flip those..
Sep 8, 2008
46 posts
2 upvotes
Kfox wrote: Not a Costco member yet, but I know they offer money back on everything if not completely satisfied, with no specified time limit (90 days on electronics and diamonds).
I'm interested in buying an expensive($2k+) latex mattress from them. My question is if the mattress sags/ comfort level deteriorates after 2 or 3 years , but it's not a problem covered by mattress maker's warranty, could I return it to Coscto and get my money back? Even after 3 years? what about 6 years? On a $2k+(excluding foundation) latex mattress I expect 7 or more good years out of it.

I spent $1000 (it was 60% off) on a Simmons (never buy again) 'World Class" mattress three years ago and already it's sagging so badly I need to replace it. I don't want to find myself in the same position again in 3 years. I'll pay a small premium at Costco for the piece of mind of knowing I can return it if quality doesn't live up to expectations after a few years of use.
A friend of mine had his mattress for 3.5 years (bought from Costco), he called to check if he can fix it. Costco told him "don't fix it, we will come pick it up in 3-4 days and we'll refund you the $1,000 that you paid"...."this is Costco"

And yes, the deal is manufactures have to accept returns at anytime as part of selling at Costco.

I love Costco.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4654 posts
5928 upvotes
GTA
eonibm wrote: Mattresses are all supposed to be flipped as well as rotated on a regular basis throughout their lives. Most people don't do that which is a big reason why they sag and that's not the manufacturers fault. If pressure is put on only one or two places on the mattress then physics and material science dictates eventually those places are going to sag.
That's my point- the 4 S manufacturers stopped making flippable mattresses years ago, which is why they sag in a few short years of use
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4654 posts
5928 upvotes
GTA
eonibm wrote: What an excellent response steeped in an appropriate level of ethical, moral and just general common sense! Bravo! Too bad more consumers don't have your attitude and obviously good upbringing. I'm all for customers not getting shafted but from what I read on here there are too many customers doing the shafting too. This just makes it worse for the majority of customers that don't as it only increases costs and results in businesses tightening their policies for everyone.

I can't believe this person thinks it's reasonable to return the mattress that many years down the line and would actually not feel guilty attempting to do so. Sheesh!
Guilty? About returning a premium priced product who's durability is poor, resulting in the product being unfit for use? No guilt whatsoever.

If enough people returned their mattresses that sagged within 5 years then maybe the manufacturers would stop building them to sag within 5 years--a.k.a. planned obsolescence.
It's 2014, it's not rocket science, it's called building them with better quality foams and springs-- but that would blow up their whole business plan which is based on planned obsolescence.
Costco's return policy is the consumer's wildcard in the mattress maker's game, I plan on playing that card if necessary..

If a $2k mattress sags to a point that I can't sleep on it anymore within 5-7 years then I will be dissatisfied. Costco says return it if you are dissatisfied and that's what I'll do, it's just that simple.

I can't believe I'm being knocked for rightfully exercising the consumer powers that a Costco membership affords me.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9216 posts
2872 upvotes
London
I think the skyrocketing obesity rates have taken mattress makers by surprise. I'm sure eventually they'll develop some titanium springs that can handle the extra north american loads.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
4986 upvotes
Here 'n There
Kfox wrote: Guilty? About returning a premium priced product who's durability is poor, resulting in the product being unfit for use? No guilt whatsoever.

If enough people returned their mattresses that sagged within 5 years then maybe the manufacturers would stop building them to sag within 5 years--a.k.a. planned obsolescence.
It's 2014, it's not rocket science, it's called building them with better quality foams and springs-- but that would blow up their whole business plan which is based on planned obsolescence.
Costco's return policy is the consumers wildcard in the mattress game, I plan on playing that card if necessary..

If a $2k mattress sags to a point that I can't sleep on it anymore within 5-7 years then I will be dissatisfied. Costco says return it you are dissatisfied and that's what I'll do, it's just that simple.

I can't believe I'm being knocked for rightfully exercising the consumer powers that a Costco membership affords me.
Well rightfully exercise the consumer powers that a Costco membership affords you within reason and you won't be knocked. Simple.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
4986 upvotes
Here 'n There
twoplustwo wrote: What about "pillow top" mattresses? Can't flip those..
Mine has pillow top on both sides so yes.
Jan 2, 2007
933 posts
48 upvotes
I returned an irobot vacuum after 4 years. The battery died after 2 years but didn't bother bringing it back until 2 years later. I actually didn't ask to return it. I phoned to ask where I can go to get a replacement battery and the customer service said to just return it so I did.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)