Shopping Discussion

Costco Return - TV out of Costco Warranty but I have Extended

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2018 10:30 pm
Nov 9, 2006
414 posts
95 upvotes

Costco Return - TV out of Costco Warranty but I have Extended

My TV has many shadows in the background and I would like to return it.
It is out of the Costco 2 yr Warranty, I have the 3 yr warranty with Excellence Plus Asurion purchased at time of sale at Costco. Total 5 yr.
I am not a member but will buy a membership because I want to buy a new TV there.
I was gifted the TV by my Dad and have the receipt.

QUESTION: do you think Costco will take it back at the warehouse if I physically bring it to them? I hear that they accept almost anything. I will not have the original Costco purchaser person with me (My Dad). I also do not have the feet anymore - misplaced. It is mounted on the wall.

Otherwise, I have the Asurion option of having a technician come to my house in about 1 week to try to fix it. But in all honesty I don not want it fixed, and want to put the return $ towards a new TV. And I would like to purchase today.
27 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
2877 posts
2839 upvotes
Ottawa
If I remember correctly, Costco changed their return policy and now is shorter than before.
Give them a call though and if it's too costly to fix it, they might give you a new one
Nov 9, 2006
414 posts
95 upvotes
Just to clarify, I am at year 4 with the TV. Outside of the Costco 2 yr warranty, but within the extended 3 yr warranty (total 5 yrs of warranty).
I just want an opinion on if you think they will accept it as a return if I bring it to them - or if they will send me home with it and tell me to contact Asurion (the 3rd party warranty company).
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5009 upvotes
Toronto
While their return policy is very generous in general, their electronics *return* policy is 90 days. The 2 year Costco warranty means between 90 days to 2 years it gets repaired by a technician, but can't be returned. The extended warranty afterwards means that Asurion pays the technican, but again, can't be returned.

They were more flexible with electronics years ago, but had to tighten up their electronics policy due to people returning TVs many years later for a full refund, which is what you are trying to do.

If you want a new TV, get it fixed by Asurion, then resell it for a few bucks and apply it towards the new TV.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
ronatola wrote: Just to clarify, I am at year 4 with the TV. Outside of the Costco 2 yr warranty, but within the extended 3 yr warranty (total 5 yrs of warranty).
I just want an opinion on if you think they will accept it as a return if I bring it to them - or if they will send me home with it and tell me to contact Asurion (the 3rd party warranty company).
No, why would they. The warranty is now through a third party and you are wellnpast their generous 90 day return policy

Costco doesent allow people like you to “rent” tvs any more. As they shouldnt
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3252 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
ronatola wrote: My TV has many shadows in the background and I would like to return it.
You can't always return something that you've had for multiple years, just because there are some cosmetic issues. Sheesh! If we could, some people would be on their 30th spouse by now.
It is out of the Costco 2 yr Warranty, I have the 3 yr warranty with Excellence Plus Asurion purchased at time of sale at Costco. Total 5 yr.
I think your math here is wrong. Most extended warranties kick in at the end of the manufacturer warranty, and of course the Concierge warranty element is not considered as a manufacturer warranty. Of course, add to that the fact that you are not a Costco member and are therefore not eligible for or covered under Concierge, I'm thinking your warranty coverage is manufacturer+extended. Assuming the manufacturer warranty is 1 year, then you have max 4 years.
I am not a member but will buy a membership because I want to buy a new TV there.
Good for you.
...then I hope the extended warranty was entered in your name, or transferred to you, because otherwise you have no coverage under the terms of the extended warranty.
QUESTION: do you think Costco will take it back at the warehouse if I physically bring it to them?

Nup.
I hear that they accept almost anything.
You hear wrong. They may accept some odd things, but I wouldn't say they accept everything.
I will not have the original Costco purchaser person with me (My Dad).
You're a non-member, you were not a member at the time of purchase and you did not purchase the item. You do not have a right to return it under any circumstances, even if it was just purchased yesterday. Any coverage you have is strictly under the extended warranty.
I also do not have the feet anymore - misplaced. It is mounted on the wall
I'm thinking 'misplaced' = "thrown out because we don't need these since we're mounting it on the wall..."
Otherwise, I have the Asurion option of having a technician come to my house in about 1 week to try to fix it. But in all honesty I don not want it fixed, and want to put the return $ towards a new TV. And I would like to purchase today.
Doesn't matter what you want. The plan covers repairs to the device (as it should), and it's up to them to decide if the product can or should be repaired or replaced.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2013
1218 posts
601 upvotes
North of Toronto
ronatola wrote: My TV has many shadows in the background and I would like to return it.

QUESTION: do you think Costco will take it back at the warehouse if I physically bring it to them? I hear that they accept almost anything. I will not have the original Costco purchaser person with me (My Dad). I also do not have the feet anymore - misplaced. It is mounted on the wall.

Their return policy for tvs has been 90 Days for around 10 years I think. You are mistaking the Warranty and the return policy.

All costco does is extend the manufacturers warranty to two years from one on all tvs.

They have an optional program of extending it to 5 years as well which varies in price depending on the size of the tv.

The whole point of buying the extended warranty was to cover issues with the tv that falls under the warranty. You PAID or I should say your dad PAID for this so it can be used in situations like this. Assuming this issue is covered under the extended warranty, they should fix it and your tv will be back to normal.
Mar 7, 2011
52 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
I can share my experience.

I first bought a visit tv from Costco, and within 2 years there was something wrong with it. I contacted Costco warranty and they sent someone to look at it, after a few weeks Costco called me and said the tv cannot be fixed and told me to being it back for a refund. I waited until Christmas and returned the vision bought another tv from Costco, so far so good.
Nov 18, 2018
1 posts
All warranty is through assurion depending on the size they may issue a return authorization number and you can return it for value towards a new tv. 90% of the time they send out a tech and repair it unless it's the panel that's smashed
Nov 18, 2018
30 posts
157 upvotes
As a Costco employee, I beg please don’t come waste our time trying to return something 4 years old. That also a tv. The whole point of the extended warranty is to fix any issues your tv has past the return date.
Nov 18, 2018
30 posts
157 upvotes
As a Costco employee, I beg please don’t come waste our time trying to return something 4 years old. That also a tv. The whole point of the extended warranty is to fix any issues your tv has past the return date.
Nov 9, 2006
414 posts
95 upvotes
Understood Cosmique.
I just had the technician here and he saw the clouds on the TV and took it away to see if he can repair it (hopefully not)
Jun 11, 2005
240 posts
21 upvotes
Newfoundland
In my experience, you can't simple return that TV to their warehouse.

Your warranty will be honored through Asurion. They will send someone out to look at the TV and determine if it can be repaired. After they come out (usually less than 1 week), they will let you know whether they will repair it or refund you the full amount (via cheque less than 2 weeks).

I got a full refund for my TV and then went back to Costco and upgraded (buying the warranty again). A+ experience will Asurion.
Nov 9, 2006
414 posts
95 upvotes
Technician came over.
Looked at it, agreed about the clouds and took it.
He phoned next day, said unrepairable, and that Costco would be phoning about next steps.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3252 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
ronatola wrote: Technician came over.
Looked at it, agreed about the clouds and took it.
He phoned next day, said unrepairable, and that Costco would be phoning about next steps.
All your dreams are coming true. :)

Now, let's just hope it's within warranty and said warranty was transferred to you.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
What a terrible attitude. This type of warranty is there to fix what you have, not to hope they can’t just so you can upgrade your tv
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Nov 9, 2006
414 posts
95 upvotes
Red_Army wrote: What a terrible attitude. This type of warranty is there to fix what you have, not to hope they can’t just so you can upgrade your tv
The fact is that my TV is defective. It's covered by my warranty for a replacement/cash.
What does it matter my feeling/hopes about the outcome? - didn't think the thought police were trolling the forums.
Nov 9, 2006
414 posts
95 upvotes
Just heard back via email...just in time for Costco Black Friday!

This is to inform you that we were unable to repair on your LG 60” TV. Therefore, we will send you a check ($1004.56) for the purchase price of the TV plus the applicable taxes. You should receive the check within 7 -10 business days. Once you receive the check, for this product pursuant to this Plan, all our obligations under this Plan shall have been fulfilled in their entirety.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
9298 posts
10312 upvotes
Red_Army wrote: What a terrible attitude. This type of warranty is there to fix what you have, not to hope they can’t just so you can upgrade your tv
If there is a nagging flaw on our equipment, are we supposed to bend over and take it, or use everything at our disposal to get something that is proper?
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
Poutinesauce wrote: If there is a nagging flaw on our equipment, are we supposed to bend over and take it, or use everything at our disposal to get something that is proper?
No of course not, you misunderstood my point . Read it again perhaps?

Op was hoping they couldn’t fix it so he could upgrade