• Dec 27th, 2018 11:18 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1809 posts
710 upvotes
Mississauga

Costco returns after cancelling membership

I have a costco membership that's coming up for renewal but will likely not renew it. Can I still return items I purchased last month?
19 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1358 posts
407 upvotes
Calgary
Why don't you return them before your membership expires and save any potential for hassle?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9016 posts
2557 upvotes
London
Dark Phoenix wrote: Why don't you return them before your membership expires and save any potential for hassle?
I think they are asking whether they can return items after their membership has lapsed.. if problems arise.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1809 posts
710 upvotes
Mississauga
Ottomaddox wrote: I think they are asking whether they can return items after their membership has lapsed.. if problems arise.
What he said
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1294 posts
835 upvotes
Etobicoke
you are not a member, you can't do returns, simple
Jun 18, 2016
418 posts
1143 upvotes
xxxray wrote: you are not a member, you can't do returns, simple
Post your source
Apr 10, 2011
779 posts
622 upvotes
I’m not a member but was able to return something I purchased online. Granted, it was within about a week of receiving it and I still had the receipt.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
20264 posts
2898 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Sorry OP, I don't know the official Costco policy on this but I'd be shocked if they wouldn't let you return an item purchased while you were a customer.

If for some reason they wouldn't, you could always get a membership again, return the item, and then cancel your membership and get your money back.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18398 posts
6414 upvotes
Toronto
If you are not a member can't do returns. Simple as that.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1809 posts
710 upvotes
Mississauga
carmaster wrote: If you are not a member can't do returns. Simple as that.
Not that we don't believe you, but can you please post the source.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18398 posts
6414 upvotes
Toronto
jdu0ng wrote: Not that we don't believe you, but can you please post the source.
Go to a Costco and try to return something, they will ask for your membership. That is the source. If you tell them I don't have one anymore, most likely they won't accept the return unless the person is nice and looks you up in the system.
Nov 12, 2012
557 posts
244 upvotes
Port Moody
Just call them and ask. I bet you it's fine.

I have an extended warranty for a pc and my membership lapsed. I figure if anything goes wrong and i get hassle, I'll just renew.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5684 posts
5085 upvotes
carmaster wrote: If you are not a member can't do returns. Simple as that.
Incorrect.

Non-member returns need an override from manager and is returned to a Costco Cash Card.
Banned
Dec 8, 2007
2666 posts
2355 upvotes
What if you were a member, let it expire, become a member again and try to return things you purchased during the initial membership period? Still cash card?